• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I log onto Nottstalgia and the first thing that catches my eye is 'Nottingham Is Crap'. Wonderful. I suppose that other cities have free parking and you can park where you like. They built all their r

basfordred (#75), the photos of the meet-ups prove that.

This is fact I had a newsagent beer off which me and sue ran for 8 years,at the same time I was a social care manager working to rehabilitate clients with aquired brain injury,my day started at 3.30a

Maybe, but I only want ONE.

As regards accents.

It can be a very subtle thing. There are many diverse accents in the Midlands.

I live in London and most people assume that just because I don't have a 'local' accent then I must be from 'oop North'.

Probably Yorkshire.

But then, most Londoners think that the M1 is cobbled past Watford.

I've never been a fan of the Brummie accent. One of the funniest things I ever heard was someone reading philosophy and trying to sound earnest in a broad Birmingham accent - just didn't work.

Robie Coltrane used to do a stand-up routine where he did a Glosgow accent tinged with Indian, Chinese, Italian and several other ethnicities. Very funny.

• Upvote 1

I know that Michael believe me. !!!!!!!!

I could not live in a city again due to the overcrowding and traffic. City life would get me down, however if I had to live in a city it would be Nottingham. I've stayed in all of the UK cities but I have always felt like being a stranger.

The village that I live in is almost entirely white and in many ways that is a pity. We badly need an Asian family to take over what was out corner shop and post office. It is the type of business that suites their 'family' work ethic that has been lost with white Brit families.

Thinking about #81 Michael, I think you're creeping a bit here in order to get your 'Likes' tally enhanced. LOL

• Upvote 2

4/1 etc women v men is total fallacy, matter of fact males slightly in the lead, always been so, the myth stems from the fact most trades in Nottingham were more female oriented and every day thousands of women arrived in nottingham via buses and trains from villages and other towns temporary swelling the ratio at certain hours

Women stay beautiful when they are with the right man who treats them well.

• Upvote 1

Pevrilperil #83 by todays standards there is 2lots of racism there mate.

It's a sad fact that British whites seem to have lost the family work ethic. Many of our businesses either fail or are sold off due to lack of family tradition or cohesion. I think that Asian families could teach us a thing or two about the sustainability and continuity of businesses small or large. Racism? Far from it mate. I have no statistics but it looks to me that our continental counterparts' businesses are more family orientated than ours. Father to son. Sorry parent to offspring :biggrin: Obviously still a lot of old traditional family businesses about but they do seem to be in decline.

Re. Ashley's quote:

4/1 etc women v men is total fallacy, matter of fact males slightly in the lead

I didn't know whether it was a true fact or not.

It was certainly always believable because of the sheer number of great looking women that were always around in Notts.

One area I guess, where Nottingham isn't crap !

It's a sad fact that British whites seem to have lost the family work ethic. Many of our businesses either fail or are sold off due to lack of family tradition or cohesion. I think that Asian families could teach us a thing or two about the sustainability and continuity of businesses small or large. Racism? Far from it mate. I have no statistics but it looks to me that our continental counterparts' businesses are more family orientated than ours. Father to son. Sorry parent to offspring :biggrin: Obviously still a lot of old traditional family businesses about but they do seem to be in decline.

I do think it's a much wider issue. Small businesses in general have been in decline for decades because of failing demand, high fixed costs, competition from larger businesses and low profits more than lack of family involvement. Where they might have been family businesses, kids didn't necessarily want to be tied to that business, they wanted to do their own thing. They shouldn't really be criticised for that.

Whilst I agree about the Asian family work ethic, having spent twelve years or so working in Leicester, I know Asian kids also value their freedom of choice. They'll probably follow the same path, just a generation behind.

Still evident down here but not as prolific as I remember in the U.K.

On the scene nowadays is also '..........& Daughter/s'.

#93 TBI you are right.

It is a shame that the trading skills and family business culture is almost gone. So, on we are led, relentlessly, towards corporate Britain.

I remember that there were at least 11 shops on Peveril St. Now there are none. Obviously we can't and don't want to turn the clocks back but it does mean that our skills to run small businesses are hugely diminished. .

There were two shops in our village and in spite of the number of residents doubling there are now none. No PO or general store. Several residents seem to have vanished simply because they can no longer walk to a shop or collect their own pension. Similar situations all over the country. So who could run out PO/general store and breath new life into our village and at the same time benefit our community culturally?

This is fact

I had a newsagent beer off which me and sue ran for 8 years,at the same time I was a social care manager working to rehabilitate clients with aquired brain injury,my day started at 3.30am sorting papers for paper kids and getting shop ready for trading.at 7am I would set off

for my train to go anywhere in the country to mdo my day job if not staying away I would return home to stock shelves and serve customers

This I did 7 days a week till my illness forced me to sell.we only had help when were working in our day jobs,I am 60yrs old and will and d-o

4paper rounds together ,when I went to sell my shop I got a lot of asian interest ,and most buisness talk was around tax dodging knowing people,I am sorry but I do not fiddle my taxes and would not be involved in dodgy dealing so peveril peril I am not saying all asians

are crooks because they are not and I did meet one or two nice asian blokes,but look at the full picture undercounter sales are normal in some of these shops,and I think you will find mostly white kids getting out of bed to do the deliveries,so please dont assume when it comes to running shops.

• Upvote 5

Rent rates phone electric,just to start with customers reminding you that,thats 10p cheaper in tesco ,a local shop. can never do the volume to compete with large super markets they dont seem to understand that

nowadays long hours and hard work is the only way to keep our local shops open and if you dont use them you will loose them.

Margins are small and new ways of trading to enable you to compete are

always being looked at however no matter what we think of taxes if we all avoided them we e would be a 3rd wolrld country.

• Upvote 2

Yes I agree. I've always paid my taxes, even though I've often been robbed by the system. I like to sleep easy at night, I know people who have been targeted by HMRC relentlessly. Over the years, I've also come across too many small business owners who regard tax fraud as the norm.

• Upvote 2