• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I log onto Nottstalgia and the first thing that catches my eye is 'Nottingham Is Crap'. Wonderful. I suppose that other cities have free parking and you can park where you like. They built all their r

basfordred (#75), the photos of the meet-ups prove that.

This is fact I had a newsagent beer off which me and sue ran for 8 years,at the same time I was a social care manager working to rehabilitate clients with aquired brain injury,my day started at 3.30a

I log onto Nottstalgia and the first thing that catches my eye is 'Nottingham Is Crap'. Wonderful. I suppose that other cities have free parking and you can park where you like. They built all their roads and erected new buildings without any disruption to the motorists or citizens. All their shopping areas are booming and aren't affected by the surge in Internet shopping. If anyone thinks Nottingham is crap there are some wonderful exit routes like the A52 that will take you to the M1 motorway. Goodbye.

• Upvote 7

Many members here left Nottingham when it was better than it is today :P

My reasons for leaving Nottingham in 1995 was because I was offered a new job in Derby.

My reasons for not living in Nottingham today are different.

It seems to me that this site deals primarily with the past and I have many fond memories of Nottingham from the 40s to the 60s as do many others but the present? The place has changed in many ways, not for the better. Yes, there are many exit routes from the city, in all directions, which I for one was only too happy to take. Ta! Ta!

I lived happily on Norton Street Radford as a kid. I would not want to live there today.

Likewise Cincil Bank Lincoln as a young boy, Today? No Thanks.

I've been shopping in Nottingham once in 25 years...If I want to walk miles I'll take up fell walking.For the weekly shopping Arnold and Mapperley Top served me.

I still can't get over the fact that Nottingham is rated as one of the poorest cities in the UK.

But then I guess it's not hard to see when one takes that walk from the train station through Broadmarsh.

That really does look crap.

I suppose I have a better perspective than most because I don't live in Nottingham anymore and only come back infrequently.

Each time I do, however, it looks a little worse.

The most telling thing is the lack of activity in places that use to be full of shops and people.

I have such fond memories of growing up in Notts that it feels really sad to see the decline, and I blame the local council.

Highly paid tossers who think that things like the shiny new tram system are the answer.

I don't object to the trams - they are very nice, but where will they be taking people ? A central ghost town? Run-down residential areas ?

If the managers of 'Nottingham PLC' were doing their job, they would be making it a desirable and affordable place to live and work; and less people would be leaving.

With my job, I get to visit lots of towns and cites around the UK.

Believe me, Nottingham is a damn sight better than a lot of other places, such as Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Glasgow, Plymouth, Newcastle, Coventry, and especially Liverpool and Manchester.

• Upvote 3

Which wonderful part of the world do you live Tomlinson ?

Norfolk. As a matter of interest, I wouldn't want to live in any of the cities in the previous post but one either. I like to think we can live where we think best, 'wonderful' or not!

Which wonderful part of the world do you live Tomlinson ?

Having lived in Nottingham until 5, Long Eaton until 32, Sandiacre until 35, Derby until 38, Gosberton Risegate until 46, Billinghay until 54, and Dawlish until now, I haven't a clue where I think of as home any more. Sometimes I think I would love to go back and live in Nottingham - but it is the old familiar Nottingham of the mid 50s that I hanker after, not as it is now. Even so I cannot think of Nottingham with anything other than affection. It is still "my" city, and love to wander around and see the bits that haven't been changed and ruined.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you whole heartedly,I will always call Nottingham Home,I have lived in West Mids most of my life,46years,i left at 19yrs of age following my husbands work,I have had a good life here,but my heart is in Nottingham and always will be.Where ever you live there are good and bad things to be found,i would rather look for the good,

i have lived in nottingham all my life but have had at least 6 oppertunities to live elsewere around the world and in britain but i have always said no thank you i love nottingham still yes there are some bad points but lots of diversity in this great city of ours yes perhaps we all look back and see or remember the good things and not the bad but no thanks i still would not go and live perminently anywere else yes it would be nice to have the money to go out and visit more places but i would always come back to nottingham.

• Upvote 1

I left Nottingham in 1982 when I went to New York to work for Greenpeace, and the only reason I did not return to Nottinghamshire was that in 1989 when working for them in Paris, I met and married a French lawyer, and we decided to set up home in France.

I get home to Nottinghamshire 2 or 3 times a year, and to Nottingham 1 or 2 times, and to me the old city is going down hill, But what town or city is not. What I miss the old shops owned by locals or the small chains like Jeffs ect, ect,

It is not a Nottingham problem over the years I have worked in lots of city's over the world and they are very much in the same state,KFC, Mc Do and other internationals or nationals dominate every street, a good example is Greggs in Britain

• Upvote 1

Came back from st ives yesterday, was pretty sad to be back actually... it made nottingham seem abit crap compared. After a day im settled in back at home and happy with nottingham again. It has its ups and downs, good parts and bad parts, just like any city!

• Upvote 1

I left Nottingham 36 years ago, to live in Surrey. The only reason we left is hubby got a job in London so then we lived dahn sahf for 9 years. When ever anyone here asks me where I'm from I always say Nottingham, it was good to me for my first 30 years.

• Upvote 1

I only lived (close to) Nottingham until I was 25 - since then I have been all over the world and lived in the USA since 1978. But, like many others, when asked where I am from I proudly state "Nottingham". I still love to visit and honestly think it is still one of Britain's better cities!

However...

Last week I met a lady that lives around the corner from us in Pentwater. She told me she had taught in England, I asked where - "Long Eaton" was her reply! Small world, or what?

Norfolk is such a boring undiverse part of the world....the Victoria at holkham is ok but not a patch on Nottingham world service !!!!! Each to their own

You obviously don't know Norfolk! Try living here as I lived in Nottingham for 20yrs, but as you say, each to their own.

Norfolk is such a boring undiverse part of the world....the Victoria at holkham is ok but not a patch on Nottingham world service !!!!! Each to their own

Sorry to hear some folks feel that way, but as they say here. "America, love it or leave it." Every body has that choice. Places change and we change. We often go back expecting everything to be the same as when we lived there, it just ain't so. I left not so much because of a dislike of Nottingham, but because I wanted to see the world and try some new opportunities. I got a good start in life in and around Nottingham. I tend to remember it the way it was and always will.

• Upvote 2