• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I log onto Nottstalgia and the first thing that catches my eye is 'Nottingham Is Crap'. Wonderful. I suppose that other cities have free parking and you can park where you like. They built all their r

basfordred (#75), the photos of the meet-ups prove that.

This is fact I had a newsagent beer off which me and sue ran for 8 years,at the same time I was a social care manager working to rehabilitate clients with aquired brain injury,my day started at 3.30a

The one way system is crap. I had to pick up shopping bags from my wife and daughter last week.

They said meet outside the Concert Haii. I approached from Mansfield Rd. No parking there. Pulled forward and found myself in a bus lane. Got lapped. Went in the offside lane and damn me, it's one way but not my way. Three point turn then went round the block.

I hope the cameras weren't operating or I'll be really peed off.

The centre is designed to irritate drivers totally. !!!!!

I went to Nottingham about March of this year, to pick up a gearbox from a friend in Keyworth. Decided to have a couple of drinks in town and a look round; suffice it to say I finally parked in Trinity Square where I nearly had a cardiac event after seeing the prices, had a pint in the Sal, served by a miserable-faced spotty tramp in a plastic glass and not particularly well kept, managed to drink about half of it, left the rest and headed out of town. I used to work in the Sal when Baz Bloom kept the place and whilst it was never immaculate it certainly was never dirty either. Only high point was meeting up with the "cockle man" who actually remembered me from over 20 years ago.

Admittedly I picked a wet and miserable night to visit but what I saw didn't impress me much.

My son, born and bred in West Midlands, absolutely loves Nottingham. Him and his partner have had two seperate weeks holiday in the City this year and have one planned already for Spring. They also had a two night stop over in the beginning of November with his partners parents. Who also are looking forward to another visit.

Every where has its good points and bad. You have to make your own minds up about a place.

Personally, I feel the same as my son. I love to come home to Nottingham for our Meetups, and visit what few are left of my family. Our biggest City. Birmingham is twenty mins away by train or tram, but It has no attraction for us. Too hustle bustle and noisy. No Character. We feel very uncomfortable and get our business done as quick as possible.

• Upvote 1

Worked Brum on and off over many years,and the place just fascinates me,love the people,the accent and their sense of humour,

• Upvote 2

I think we have just got used to living in quite a small place. W-ton. In recent years it has been given 'City Status'. The likes of Birmingham etc, seem so big to us, we feel a little bit like fish out of water! I just read on the internet that W-ton is the 5th Worse City on The Planet. That's a shame! I must speak up for my adopted City. When I first came here in the 60s, it wasn't the nicest of places, but there have been a lot of improvements over the years. If I can't have Nottingham, Then Wolvo' will do!

Accent?

How can three million people have a speech impediment? ;)

Once heard a comedian use that joke at a 'Boxing show' in BIRMINGHAM,..............and it was met with stoney silence.

• Upvote 1

I am some where in the middle of accents now. I do hang on to the accent of my roots, simply because I want to.

When I come home, it is lovely to hear people talking with the Nottm twang. I do miss the accent. I can pick it out, where ever we are.

I also like the West Midlands accent. There is such a difference in each region. The Brummies, Tipton, Dudley and W-ton all have different variations of accents. I have noticed that even with people who don't think they have an accent, there can be regional tones. I think Nottm is slower and Smoother and West Mids is spoken a lot quicker and can seem higher pitched.

It Doe matter where yum frum flower or how yo spake, if whot yum saying is friendly loike. slywink Mi Ducks

• Upvote 3

Birmingham was my 1st real encounter with Ethnics' in the 60s,and i admire the way they melted in and became accepted,and i think its great when i hear the Brummy/black country accent spoke by such diverse people,the area just absorbed them.

• Upvote 1

When the first big wave of immigrants heard there was an area called The Black Country. They assumed it was meant for them.LOL

• Upvote 2

My one & only Son in Law is a Brummie. He can't help that, he was born there.

When I phone my daughter & he answers the phone I can't understand a word he says.

I usually mutter something like, " put my bleddy daughter on, No Understandi" !

He has his users though, I'm getting a lift to the QMC on Tuesday ! (which was translated to him by my daughter) !

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Always has, always will. The beauties of the 60's and 70's are now gorgeous mature women !!!!!!

• Upvote 3