This is fact

I had a newsagent beer off which me and sue ran for 8 years,at the same time I was a social care manager working to rehabilitate clients with aquired brain injury,my day started at 3.30am sorting papers for paper kids and getting shop ready for trading.at 7am I would set off

for my train to go anywhere in the country to mdo my day job if not staying away I would return home to stock shelves and serve customers

This I did 7 days a week till my illness forced me to sell.we only had help when were working in our day jobs,I am 60yrs old and will and d-o

4paper rounds together ,when I went to sell my shop I got a lot of asian interest ,and most buisness talk was around tax dodging knowing people,I am sorry but I do not fiddle my taxes and would not be involved in dodgy dealing so peveril peril I am not saying all asians

are crooks because they are not and I did meet one or two nice asian blokes,but look at the full picture undercounter sales are normal in some of these shops,and I think you will find mostly white kids getting out of bed to do the deliveries,so please dont assume when it comes to running shops.

Through work and friendship ties l know a lot of Asian people and without exception they are a thrifty lot always looking for a bargain and will often barter for a lower price no matter how much wealth they have.

Before anybody calls me a racist my best friend is Hindu and is middle name should be scoop.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I log onto Nottstalgia and the first thing that catches my eye is 'Nottingham Is Crap'. Wonderful. I suppose that other cities have free parking and you can park where you like. They built all their r

basfordred (#75), the photos of the meet-ups prove that.

This is fact I had a newsagent beer off which me and sue ran for 8 years,at the same time I was a social care manager working to rehabilitate clients with aquired brain injury,my day started at 3.30a

When we had our Beer off in the 1970s, I did all of the weekly Bookkeeping myself. I had help from an accountant to sort out my taxes. As regards any fiddling of taxes, it might come as a surprise but I wouldn't have known how, nor would I have wanted to.

It was competition that made us decide to pack it up in the end. It was 7days a week, 10am till 2pm then 5pm till 10pm. A little less on Sundays. When the shop was closed, it was Stocking up/ Warehouse/ Taking deliveries and also serving people who didn't understand that the Closed sign on the door meant Closed. We were tied to the Brewery, so could not compete with all of the corner shops. The people ( supposedly our friends) who ran the grocery shop on the next corner to us, were not licenced, but sold Alcohol under the counter, at prices that we just couldn't do. It just wasn't worth it in the end. Andy, I agree with you, it is very hard work running a shop, especially if you open 7days a week.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
On 7/20/2013 at 9:08 PM, MELTONSTILTON said:

a good example is Gregg's in Britain

Look at the faces of these so called posh folk getting had off by Gregg's? The youth with the dreads nearly puked up when he found out? 

• Like 1

That lot probably live in West Bridgeford or Edwalton and thought (thepairofteef) Berni Inn was dead posh. Whatever happened to crusty cobs, cream slices, custards and bakewell tarts.

• Like 2

I agree, as we used to say "any port in a storm". I’ll walk around Sainsbury's or Morreson’s or any other convenient place to buy stuff. In fact last night I put Moressson’s mint sauce on my lamb chops

• Like 2