i lived on alfreton road near the junction of hartley road facing a big shop before it got demolished, i seemed to see Henry Titerles what it sold i dont know ? then to the right of that was osbornes news agents , anyone remember these , there was another shop on the corner ,what that was and sold can anyone enlighten me .

kev

The block of shops mentioned were the same as shown in your pic Cliff Ton, and on this 1880s map.I don't remember the particular shops in the 60s...but around where that poster is mounted was an alley to the back where a guy built and repaired Ford specials...he worked on one for me.

An interesting note on the map...the whole section from Bentinck Road up to the junction with Peverill street was called Aspley Terrace...never noticed that before...

1dr0.jpg

Great map and aspley terrace was blocked off at alfreton road end, they built three houses across, the back route is still there its called aspley place off bentick rd, i lived in one of thows houses which was next door to an old doctors house that stood vacant for many years .

• 3 years later...

Just noticed this thread about Henry Titley. It was a furniture shop and I seem to recall it had premises on Radford Road, just below Staddens on the corner. Same side.

My parents bought some furniture from there, including a reproduction dark oak dining suite in 1966. I remember going with them to choose it. I've still got it actually and it looks like new, although it has been restained and polished and the seats of the dining chairs have been re upholstered over the years. They also bought me a single divan bed from this shop when I became too old to sleep in the crib I had when I was a baby and I remember going with them to choose that as well. They were a reliable firm who had the same type of furniture as shops like Baker and Plumb, for instance, quite a lot of reproduction stuff and kitchen furniture but the shop was very much smaller. I believe there was another branch of this shop somewhere in the Stapleford area which was a much bigger concern.

I had forgotten all about it until I saw this post and while we're on the subject,  I recall my mother buying net curtains from a shop on Radford Road near itsJunction with Gregory Boulevard and slightly up from the bank on the corner. I believe the shop was called Manchester Direct and it seemed to be there for a great many years.

I'll say, Sue B! It got me thinking about how old I would be when we went to buy my first proper bed. It must have been around 1961 or 2. I was so excited and remember it clearly. During the winter of 1962, which was notoriously cold, I caught measles and was very ill. The bed was brought downstairs where it was warmer...no heating upstairs in those days apart from coal fires in bedroom grates! Even the water main was frozen!

Jill, your writing about heating in bedrooms reminded me of the house I grew up in.  There were those funny sort of gas fires in our bedrooms - can't describe them except by saying there were columns of some beige coloured brittle stuff which glowed when the gas was lit.  I remember studying for O levels in my bedroom with the fire lit.  This didn't happen very often - my bedroom was usually very cold, but I suppose my parents wanted me to concentrate on studying.  Must have been a cold late spring that year (either 1958 or 59)

Yes Margie, I remember those gas fires. There was one in the waiting room of the doctor's surgery when I was a child and in winter it was always turned on full. As there was no need to make an appointment in those days, you simply turned up and sat in what was the front sitting room of a large Victorian house and waited your turn to see the doctor. In winter, the gas fire would be belting out heat and everyone who was waiting would be coughing and spluttering and generally spreading their germs about so that no matter what you went in with, you would come out with a cough and cold as well.

The house where I was born and where my mother was also born had no central heating until 1975 and I remember going to bed in winter as a child and taking a glass of water in case I got thirsty in the night. By the morning, the water would have a frozen surface and the window panes would be covered in the most beautiful designs as a result of severe frost. Although we all mostly now have double glazing, I still miss getting up on a winter's morning and seeing those beautiful pictures etched in ice on the windows!

Wonder why the patterns always resembled ferns - well they did to me anyway.  Never liked spoiling the patterns by scratching on the glass to see outside, but I still did it!!  My little mum used to get up early to light a fire downstairs so I could get dressed in front of it when I was little.  When I was a bit older, I used to warm my clothes in the bed and get dressed while still in bed!

• Upvote 1

Yes Margie, they always looked like ferns to me too. In cold weather, we often kept the fire slumbering all night so that we could get dressed for school in the warmth. My mother hated the cold and even when she was young suffered from Raynauld's syndrome which meant her fingers turned white due to poor circulation. She always used to say that if given a choice between food or warmth, she would choose warmth every time!

Those gas fires you refer to were one of the first gas fires made, Tall slender radiant's about an inch in diameter and about 10 inch high a bit like an elongated Smartie's tube.

They were getting rare back in the 60s when I was on EMGAS but strangely enough I came across one in Bolsover a month or so back. My son who works for me and has been in the trade 24 years had never seen one, unfortunately it failed the inspection and was disconnected.