I have now found three wasps nest in the garden. One is just above the garage door. In 20 years here I have only been stung on one occasion. I was cutting a hedge when I acciddentally cut into a wasp nest.

I like wasps, they are the gardener's friend and only become aggressive when turned out of their nest at the end of summer - and then only for a very short while.

Here is one of the nests. This particualr one is about the size of a football and hanging in a hawthron bush alongside the lower path. I will not destroy it:

IMG_8080.JPG?gl=GB

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates wife, keen golfer, got stung between the 1st & 2nd hole on Wollo Park. Nasty. 

Yes CF I have done the same, plus a large tinfoil baking tray to act as a bird bath, we need to do all we can in this weather.

I have just found out I have a wasps nest in the loft of the house I have just moved into. Wondered why I kept getting them in my bathroom, obviously they were showering before starting work!

I just had a little read up on wasp nests to see how long it takes to build one, i was surprised to see that they start building in Spring through to Autumn and then abandon them, starting the whole procedure again next spring.We had one in our loft that proved a nuisance as the wasps stung us when we sat out side, but like you we put up with it, our reason being so as not to disturb them. It seems that the worker wasps pop their clogs in the winter and only the fertilised Queen survives to start a new colony next year with a new nest being built. Intriguing. Compo,Do you just leave the old nest as its not going to be used again or get rid of it?.

The old nests disintegrate over the winter months. One in my central heating boiler disinteegrated and blocked the airway, causing black smoke and smelly fumes.

I was 3/4 outside York Minster when i had a hornet fly into my ear and sting my eardrum and ear canal, Been petrified of them ever since. To the point where i will scream. Bear in mind im a 25 year old, 6'2" man bullt like a brick shitehouse.

• 4 weeks later...

Hornets are a different beastie from wasps and bees. They have a very potent sting and have been known to kill.

Don't forget without the bees, wasps and other pollinators there would be a world wide food shortage.

Colin

No pollinators?..there would just be life in the oceans...Without plants there would be no life forms on land...except maybe Jeremy Kyle.

Recently, I have been travelling on the long bus journey to Nottingham. A nice journey through the countryside.

The other day there was a young couple sitting in front of me, suddenly the girl jumped up screaming. there was a wasp buzzing in the window next to her.

The youth got a book and attempted to swat the wasp several times hitting it but not killing it. The girl ran to the front of the bus screaming and throwing her arms around!

We shared the rest of the journey to Nottingham with an enraged wasp!

Hornets are a different beastie from wasps and bees. They have a very potent sting and have been known to kill.

Is this a hornet? A photo I took earlier in the year; this thing was in the garden for several days and spent most of its time hovering in one place, unlike wasps and bees which are always on the move.

hornet.jpg

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, radfordred said:

Not seen many wasps or daddy long legs this year? Where they all gone? Loads of flying ants yesterday about half six.  

They're all at my house trying to get in the roof space again. Have to evict them every other year. 

We had a wasp nest a few years ago in the kitchen flat roof cavity, pest man came & sprayed powder in the entrance they had made in the roof space. They will never return to an old nest he said & am pleased to say they haven't ! Hate the things, Satan's own pets.

Think the lack of water this year is partially to blame for the lack of them this year.

When I water the veggie's I have all sorts of wing insects arriving to drink from droplets especially wasps. Where the hose joins the spray lance there is a tiny leak and when I put it down they will even drink from that.

We’ve got just one, under the roof tiles.  Not worried yet.  At our previous house we’d get 4 or 5 separate nests every year and used to call the Council out, the chap was far better equipped to deal with high-up nests than we were. 

• Like 2

This talk of wasps has reminded me of two nasty wasp related events.  I had a boyfriend who was a racing cyclist and he was stung in his mouth during a race in N Yorkshire.  He ended up in hospital overnight and I had to drive his car and him back to Nottingham when I’d only just passed my test.  Thrown in at the deep end there.

Then years later our youngest was at a summer soccer school and was stung in the mouth when a wasp got into a can of Coke.  He didn’t need hospital treatment thankfully but he’s always been careful since then.