Stung by a Wasp only once,, Mam sucked it out.......years later was working with a bloke in a supermarket and he got stung........infact he was screaming with pain......thought what Mam did for me.......looked at the bloke...then told someone to take him to Hospital...........lol

• Like 3
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates wife, keen golfer, got stung between the 1st & 2nd hole on Wollo Park. Nasty. 

Yes CF I have done the same, plus a large tinfoil baking tray to act as a bird bath, we need to do all we can in this weather.

I have just found out I have a wasps nest in the loft of the house I have just moved into. Wondered why I kept getting them in my bathroom, obviously they were showering before starting work!

I was driving in Skeg one day with my window open & a wasp came in the car. Flying straight down the back of my shirt in the process stinging my back half a dozen times !

That was the quickest time Mrs C ripped ever my shirt off !

• Like 1

Riding my motorbike over Clifton Bridge in the mid-70s a wasp managed to get down the back of my neck - Bogger stung me several times before I managed to stop the bike...mind you I was travelling at 60mph at the time :)

This year I am growing some spuds in heavy duty black bin liner type bags. As I was watering them the other day a cloud of angry wasps suddenly appeared - the little beggars have built a nest inside one of the tater bags!  Good job they are not early spuds; at least they will be gone by the time I need to empty the bag.

21 minutes ago, Compo said:

Riding my motorbike over Clifton Bridge in the mid-70s a wasp managed to get down the back of my neck - Bogger stung me several times before I managed to stop the bike...mind you I was travelling at 60mph at the time :)

When I was 16 I took my motorcycle test and promptly bought a 650 BSA. It had a big fibreglass tank and I'd been talking to someone who told me a horrible story when his fibreglass tank split pouring petrol on the hot engine. Later that same day I was riding on Derby Road and suddenly felt a burning sensation across my stomach. Oh dear I though (something like that) the bloody tanks split. I stopped quick time and jumped off the bike. It was sunny but I could see no flame nor nothing amiss. A little investigation showed a bee had hit me and got stuck between me and the tank. It was extremely painful.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A multi-storey wasp nest in the garden. I moved a potato sack and this was underneath. I thought the wasps had all gone for the winter but was mistaken. Feel guitly about destroying the nest but it wasn't deliberate. The exterior of the nest was torn away as I dragged the bag out from beneath the hedgerow leaving this internal structure almost intact.

30483067887_529bc1baae_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Indeed, Jill, and that's why I had left the nest until I thought it was empty - clearly, I was worng!

I have just found out I have a wasps nest in the loft of the house I have just moved into. Wondered why I kept getting them in my bathroom, obviously they were showering before starting work!

• Like 3

We have a problem now with wasps. In the summer they are a nuisance but apart being stung a couple of times I don't take much notice of them only when the dogs are out. they try to eat them.The wasps at the moment are everywhere but in the air. I find a lot on the floor. They are a bit dozy so suppose they are coming to the end of their lives.

Last year I found 17 wasps nests in the shed

• Like 2

I'm having wasp problems as well at the moment. I suppose it's one of their last forays before packing up for winter.

This is why I commented this morning about Epipens in the How's Your Day thread.

Anyway, I'm fixed up now with syringes and bottles of adrenaline.

Our biggest problem here is Yellowjackets.  They are a type of Wasp and very aggressive.  They nest in a hole in the ground.  If you hit one they give off some kind of scent that brings the others out of the ground fighting mad.  Not a good situation.  The Hillbillies deal with them by pouring petrol down the hole after dark when they are all inside.  not a recommended solution for an attic though.  We have sprays for hitting them from about thirty feet away.  Not sure how well it works but it gives you a head start on 'em.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 17 August 2010 at 1:53 PM, Limey said:

I have only been stung twice - both times riding a motorcycle!

Crikey! .......... Once had a dog "Barney" chased everything on a bike, we had to stop him riding it? 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

As we are sharing stinging stories, I will recall my trauma.

When I was about 10-11 years old, several siblings and I were out with our uncle for a walk through Bulwell Hall Park - the wooded area.  Someone ahead of me shouted "wobbies" (I presume someone had disturbed a nest).  We all turned and ran.  In my haste I failed to notice a tree root and tripped over it.  Wearing shorts and a tee shirt, I went down face first into a bed of nettles.  The wasps caught up and got me on the back of my head, neck, arms and legs.

Emerging from the wooded area I found one of my sisters and we spent a minute or two de-wasping each other's hair.

My uncle thought it was hilarious.  I went through copious amounts of calamine lotion for the next few days.  Suffice to say I don't like wasps.