have noticed several dead wasps in the house and now this morning noticed and stood and watched said creatures going in dozens at a time entering an air-brick next to front door, what am i to do? call in an expert, buy wasp killer or just ignore such.

sue 3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates wife, keen golfer, got stung between the 1st & 2nd hole on Wollo Park. Nasty. 

Yes CF I have done the same, plus a large tinfoil baking tray to act as a bird bath, we need to do all we can in this weather.

I have just found out I have a wasps nest in the loft of the house I have just moved into. Wondered why I kept getting them in my bathroom, obviously they were showering before starting work!

We have one of a couple of types around here called a paper wasp, because of the type of nest they build. Limey, Loppylugs and Katy will know exactly what I'm on about!!

The other day I got in my truck and promptly was attacked with a sting in my right ankle. These things really hurt and a few days later my ankle still hurts like hell, is swollen and red.

Anyway, the following day I dropped by the local gas station to fill up with gas, stopped at the pump, jumped out and flipped the gas cover open, stepped back several feet in alarm. About a dozen paper wasps had built a nest on my gas filler cap!! I was very lucky not to get attacked!! The girl inside loaned me a can of wasp/hornet spray and I soon sorted those out!

Several years ago had a wasps nest the size of a football in my loft. How it was built without me seeing it I do not know. Was quoted £40 by Broxtowe Council to deal with it. Bought a can of Dethlac ant killer from Wilkos for £1.25. Gave the nest the whole can and left it for 24 hours. Wasps were soon dropping outside and the following day was able to lift the nest and carry it outside. No further problems with wasps. Be careful what you are breathing though.

They'd laugh at you over here and say nip down to the shop and get a couple of cans of Hornet/wasp spray. wait until it's dark and get spraying!!

That's right Eyup.

You can buy a can of wasp spray that shoots stream that is pretty accurate up to about fifteen feet away. Gives you a running start. :Shock: Let 'em have it and clean up the nest next day.

Gives you a running start. :Shock:

In my experience this is very handy!

I had a 'wobby's' nest up above my back door one summer. Ready to rumble, I shut the that back door tight, stood on a step ladder and gave 'em what for with practically a whole can of Wilkos proprietary wobby killer. I then ran like hell round three sides of the house to a waiting open front door, pursued by what looked like at least a million angry wasps.

Yes, I made it.

That's right Eyup.

You can buy a can of wasp spray that shoots stream that is pretty accurate up to about fifteen feet away. Gives you a running start. :Shock: Let 'em have it and clean up the nest next day.

I read somewhere that they are also great for women and people working in places like gas stations instead of mace and pepper sprays, deadly accurate up to 30 feet and guaranteed to drop a would be rapist/robber to his feet in agony!!

Got to agree there, but some states don't like us shooting criminals.. Glad Missouri isn't one of them... California requires all firearms to be registered too, hand guns licensed. When the Missouri Attorney General was asked a couple of years ago, how many firearms are in the state, he said "I don't know, we don't have to register our weapons in Missouri. Guess when he was asked this??? While on his way out armed to the teeth for a hunting expedition.

Something else I found out from a retired police officer here. IF, our shorthanded Sheriff needs assistance, he can knock on doors, deputize any man he believes is of help and instruct the man to bring his firearms along. Refusal, other than ill health or on religious grounds can lead to an arrest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue3, yes it's an actual place, between Nocton and Bardney in Lincolnshire, maybe 5-6 miles from city, don't know about extension lead though, not sure whether they got electricity !rotfl!

Rog

Read on the internet today that there could be 30,000 wasps in our nest, wondering how many vacuum bags full would that be.

Hubby been out vacuuming again today, the other evening I came home, past the air brick where they are entering, felt something crawling on my lower leg, went to brush whatever it was off and got stung. not a nice experience I can tell you.

Sue x

Secure some insect screen over the air brick, that will stop them entering and also imprison the ones already in the roof space.

Secure some insect screen over the air brick, that will stop them entering and also imprison the ones already in the roof space.

The above has been done or should I say the holes in the airbricks have had paper pushed in so as they cant enter or escape.

The nest is below the floor joists ground level..

Sue x