It takes yer back

I know we all hear music, Smell smells, Have Dejar vu moments and many other reminders, that suddenly take us back to long ago moments in our lives, I just had a lovely one.I have just opened a bag of apples and the aroma from the fruit transported me back to some where between 1953/59. Walking With All Hallows Primary School into Gedling Church for Harvest Festival and smelling all the baskets of fruit and veg decorating the Church, It was a wonderful memory moment and i lingered there a while reminiscing.I have many of these moments with music, but this one was a bit special. Have You got any to share with us,We would like to hear them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As i look out of the window and see the leaves starting to fall from the Trees and Hedges, and the dark nights drawing in, i often drift off to my childhood, as this is the time of year that my Not

In Boots, Norwich, a while back, I saw someone looking at me I couldn't put a name to. I puzzled over it for a while and I had just about identified him as someone I worked with when I realised I was

See 3:10 on this video. When I am 95, will I still be surrounded by lady admirers?

My dad passed away quite young in Notts, I was out in my local area in W-ton when a cyclist passed me and i was taken aback as this person was a double of my Dad. Not just a small likeness, it was uncanny.I saw this person many times and studied him, hopefully without him knowing. I often see people when i come home to Notts, who i think i know, then i realise i am looking at some one of the age they would have been when i left 47yrs ago. I'm probably looking at thier younger relations. :unsure:

In Boots, Norwich, a while back, I saw someone looking at me I couldn't put a name to. I puzzled over it for a while and I had just about identified him as someone I worked with when I realised I was looking in a mirror the other side of the store. Ah! The delights of old age!

• Upvote 2

fresias always remind me of my sisters wedding we all had red rose buds withe yellow and orange fresias in our boquas the wonderful smell of the fresias out shone the roses. .

about two years after my dad died we took the kids to skeggness for a day trip as we were comming up from the beach towards the clock tower we saw a very small man walking towards us i looked up and was just thinking whats my dad doing here totaly forgetting he had been dead for 2 years when our youngest son ran of towards him souting grandad when he suddenly realised it was not him said sorry to the man who said are you one of wemmys gels i said yes i am it turned out he used to know my dad from before he was married at a quik clance he did look like him and wore very simmilar clothes to what dad used to wear shirt trousers sleevless v necked jumper and the same flat cap.

• Upvote 1

When people talk about wind power, my mind always go back to the early1970s, when I was living part time in a commune in Wales, making wind turbines out of old car Alternators.

The smell of paraffin, reminds me of my granddad, because he had a paraffin heater in his cottage, and the place stunk of it.

• Upvote 1

We can get tomatoes on the vine here, and they have that old fashioned smell I remember from being a kid, and taking my 2 bob across the street to Mr Berisford's, and having him fill a brown paper bag with toms from his greenhouse. I'd sniff them all the way back home.

• Upvote 1

My dads passion was his tomato's and his dahlia's, often remember just walking down the garden and picking a few ripe tomatoe's for my tea. The smell of them always brings back that memory.

The store bought toms have no flavour at all compared to the home grown variety.

As for "Dejavu" moments, I often see someone and have to blink to remind myself that its not them ! but maybe someone similar or in a similar set of clothes.

Having said that I was sitting fishing one day on a jetty and a chap walked past me and I thought wow that looks like my brothers mate from Nottm, and yes it was him ! he was visiting family here in oz that I never knew he had.

We spent a happy hour chin wagging over old times.

On the subject of recognising others……….about 10-12 years ago I caught my own reflection in a show window, and for the first time ever I found myself thinking "I'm starting to look like my dad as I remember him at a certain stage in his life".

Until that occasion I'd never thought I resembled anyone else in the family, but since then I'm convinced that I'm becoming more like my dad as I get older.

• Upvote 1

I was making my way through the dark and the smoke, mindful that if I was spotted I would be shot!

My ammunition was full, and weapon at the ready. I climbed some stairs, rounded a corner and was

confronted by an armed figure. I quickly aimed my weapon and fired, but too late, I had been shot in the chest!...

I wish bleddy Lazerquest wouldn't put those mirrors in!

• Upvote 2

Many moons ago as a teenager, shopping in the City,I was browsing the goods in a shop window and slowly moving sideways along the front of the shop. As i came to the end of the window to where the shop door was i turned to walk away,and with a loud bang bumped head first into another lady,in that moment as i apologized, i realised it was me,the shop front was on the slant with a full length mirror sideways by the door, Quickly moving on. :blush:

• Upvote 2

This sort of thing happens to me quite often. I put it down to constantly peeering at the floor (looking for coins SWMBO says) instead of watchiing where I'm going. I once ran into a lamp post and knocked myself out!

When i am shopping and go to the bread counter. Without fail when i see a "Bloomer Loaf", my Grandma (nannar) comes into my mind, On my way to work in the 1960s i would call at her house about 7.30am every weekday morning, and she would have waiting for me,two slices of "Bloomer bread", thick with unsalted "Lurpack" and a cup of tea.

And Whenever i see light fluffy "Yorkshire puds",she is there again,because she would always give me them before dinner with gravy because i liked them so much. I would love her to have known how many times she, and her little foody memories are with me,she would have had a bigsmile.

And all that for half a crown a week.

• Upvote 1

Carnival,

That jogs my memories of being sent by my mum to the bakers (Windales) on Westdale Lane to buy a still warm Hovis loaf, a pat of butter, and a quarter-pound of freshly carved ham off the bone for tea.

Why is it that food always tasted better then than it does now?

When carni started this thread, I was going to add an experience I had about five years ago but decided not to because it sounded far-fetched. Anyway, here goes. My wife and I went looking for a piece of furniture for the lounge and visited many shops and stores without finding anything we were looking for. We were about to return home when my wife remembered a place that she'd once seen as she drove by. We went there and found lots of stuff that we were looking for. The furniture is more of an Eastern and Indian style and 99% of it is made of different types of wood. As we were browsing I got a really strong smell of wood that took my mind back to when I first started my school life at the Arkwright Infants School. As my wife moved away to carry on browsing, I just stood there as the memories flooded into my head. When I first started school I walked into the classroom and the first thing I noticed was the strong smell of wood. The floor and desks were made of wood and probably other things, too. At such a young age and living off Meadow Lane, I wouldn't have experienced anything like it. I remembered sitting at the desk and a couple of teachers handing everyone a sheet (sheets?) of paper. This was for a test to see if you were going into the A, B or C stream. I just stood there reminiscing until my wife came up to me and smiled saying, "You look as though you're in a trance". I couldn't believe that I was remembering stuff from when I was four/five years old. I told you it sounded far-fetched, didn't I?.

• Upvote 2

My father in his 90s would often say...

"They say I have a bad memory?... Why I can REMEMBER WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD!" (Bangs fist on table).

to which I would reply, "Yes Dad what did you have for breakfast"

My short term memory is not so good, which can be a nuisance, as i am forgetting things all day long.If something is important i have to write it down or it is gone, and i believe it is one of the things we can all start to experience as we get older,and the long term memory better. That is probably why all these little,smells, and other things take us back so easily. Which is great and we can choose to stay in that moment for a while and enjoy it or divert our minds if we want to. Mick2me, What a great age for your father,I bet he had a few tales to tell.

Micheal,

Your memory of the smell of the wood taking you back is great, these are just the experiences i hoped this topic would bring out,thanks all for sharing.

• Upvote 2

The scent of lavender always takes me back to Shelton Street Infants, when every Friday afternoon we were required to polish our desk tables, and most of us had those small sample tins of lavender polish from Betterwear which were left when a purchase from their door to door salesman was made.

My short term memory is not so good, which can be a nuisance, as i am forgetting things all day long.If something is important i have to write it down or it is gone,

I forget where I put the pen... :crazy:

• Upvote 1