It takes yer back

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As i look out of the window and see the leaves starting to fall from the Trees and Hedges, and the dark nights drawing in, i often drift off to my childhood, as this is the time of year that my Not

In Boots, Norwich, a while back, I saw someone looking at me I couldn't put a name to. I puzzled over it for a while and I had just about identified him as someone I worked with when I realised I was

See 3:10 on this video. When I am 95, will I still be surrounded by lady admirers?

Yes, Commo, same for me with the smell of lavender, furniture polish always comes to mind. I wish they'd bring it back instead of everything smelling of lemons.

Every now and again, I'll find a tin of Milo in the shops, that brings back memories of staying with my gran and her making me a mug of it at bedtime.

Sitting on the curb as a little kid on a hot summers day,and the smell of the melting road tar,poking sticks into it.

Somehow getting it on your legs,me mam using butter to soften it,before scrubbing it off with smelly 'carbolic soap',that really 'takes me back'.

Or sitting on the kerb writing down car registrations as they went past. And sniggering, like kids do, when BRA 36B went past (it was an E-Type, if memory serves me right). :)

Mick2me, What a great age for your father,I bet he had a few tales to tell.

He did indeed Served in the British Army in India and stood guard on Ghandi. Patroled the Kheiber Pass, Was in the Normandy landings.

Stationed at Elstree after the war and dated a young Thora Hird.

43314.jpg

In later life lived in Los Angeles, played extra parts in movies and met Stan Laurel.

• Upvote 2

Sitting on the curb as a little kid on a hot summers day,and the smell of the melting road tar,poking sticks into it.

Somehow getting it on your legs,me mam using butter to soften it,before scrubbing it off with smelly 'carbolic soap',that really 'takes me back'.

Definitely this one, there always seemed to be resurfacing by the council on some road or another in Aspley, us kids would follow the lorries, just for the smell of tar, & to flick the little stones at each other, every hit left a little black tar mark....................

#31 Mick2me

Wow! He really did have some stories to tell, Some a pleasure to remember, and some he probably kept to himself ,I hope he had plenty of the good ones and passed them on to his children to remember. I can see by the photo of Thora Hird he had good taste in the ladies. Its nice of you to share a little of your Dads life experiences.

• Upvote 1

\snip\ At such a young age and living off Meadow Lane,\snip\

Not Brand [X] Street by any chance was it Michael?

• 1 month later...

As i look out of the window and see the leaves starting to fall from the Trees and Hedges, and the dark nights drawing in, i often drift off to my childhood, as this is the time of year that my Nottingham feelings are their strongest. I only have to see the leaves piling up and i remember the game we played as we walked through the deepest of the leaves, We would put our feet together, toes pointing outwards and slowly shuffle forward pushing the leaves forward in front of us. And as usual the winner would be the one who had the highest pile off leaves at a certain point. Wet socks,muddy legs, and a variety of insects stuck to our legs at the end. Lol :biggrin: Sorry if this should have been in the topic of Childhood Games, i wasn't sure which one. :unsure:

• Upvote 4

I remember the cock on a stick, it was hard candy,[like stick-of-rock candy] striped, shaped like a cockerel. Lasted for ages. I prefered the Grantham Gingerbread myself, and candy floss, & tuffee apples of course. Boy, did we go home sticky! No wonder I've always had teeth problems.

I can polish off a whole packet of Brandy Snaps as i walk round the fair. The cock on a stick doesn't look any where near like a cockerel as it did when i was young, they are just a squiggle on a stick now . :ohmy:

HAD A LOVELY DAY IN SKEGGY AND CHAPLE TODAY WEATHER WAS GREAT DAVE BROUGHT SOME ROCK THERE WERE COCKS ON A STICK BRANDY SNAPS AND GINGERBREADS ONTHE STALL TOO,A GOOD DAY OUT. I AM GOING TO TRY A LITTLE TRIP ROUND THE FAIR WEDNESSDAY OR THURSEDAY AFTERNOON WHEN NOT QUITE SO BUSY ON MY SCHOOTER