It takes yer back

Goose Fair's not this week Babs, but the Bell Meet-up is !!! Glad you had a good trip to Skeggy, it's been a gorgeous couple of days, and so unexpected after the freezing cold we had at the beginning of the week.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As i look out of the window and see the leaves starting to fall from the Trees and Hedges, and the dark nights drawing in, i often drift off to my childhood, as this is the time of year that my Not

In Boots, Norwich, a while back, I saw someone looking at me I couldn't put a name to. I puzzled over it for a while and I had just about identified him as someone I worked with when I realised I was

See 3:10 on this video. When I am 95, will I still be surrounded by lady admirers?

I KNOW LIZZIE ILL BE AT THE BELL UP UNTILL THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS I HAD ONLY ONCE MISSED IT IN 1980 WHEN MY YOUNGEST CHILD WAS BORN 29TH SEPTEMBER STILL IN HOSTPITAL SO COULD NOT GO THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS I HAVE NOT GOT THERE AS IT WAS TOO MUCH WALKINGBUT AS I SAY I AM GOING TO TRY GETTING ROUND ON MY SCOOTER THIS YEARBE LOVELY IF THE WEATHERS LIKE THIS.

NOW DAYS MUCH MORE INDIAN JAMACAN EUROPEAN FOOD ON SALE THAN SEA FOOD STILL GET HOT PEAS BUT NOT AS NICE AS THEY USED TO BE BUT STILL PLENTY OF HOT DOG AND BURGER STALLS BUT NOT MANY OF THE TRADITIONAL SIDE SHOWS THERE WERE IN THE 50S/60S MOUSE TOWN BOXING RING BUT LAST TIME I WAS THERE THE WALL OF DEATH WAS BACK.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just opened a bag of Morrisons Conference Pears," and even though they are usually hard and tasteless" i can't resist buying them. What a lovely surprise i had when i tried one!, it was sweet and delicious, It took me back to my childhood from as early as i can remember to being about elevenish, going to Granddads allotment up St Annswell rd, and picking the windfalls up, taking them home, as many as we could carry.When ever i am fortunate enough to buy Conference Pears with some flavour, without fail my Granddad and his little allotment shed is in my mind. He made it a little home from home in there, What a kind man he was, by the time he had walked home to Vicarage Street his barrow would be half empty, giving his produce away to people he passed on his journey.

• Upvote 1

I have just opened a bag of Morrisons Conference Pears," a

i can remember to being about elevenish, going to Granddads allotment up St Annswell rd,

We used to call them Chrismas pears 'cos they would ripen in time for Christmas. We've spoken previously about Hungerhill allotmements, magic place. We had an allotment up there as well. When we first went up there, we couldn't believe our eyes, all this fruit there for the picking. And it was ours !!!

They are my favourite pear, I always buy some when over there, the harder the better! I can't stand over ripe pears. My hubby's grand dad had a huge tree of them in Watnall, they do bring back memories. Can't get them over here.

I've seen Conference Pear trees in one or two of the large plant/tree vendors catalogues Kath, they are available over here, but not sold to customers in some states.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin:Hi Katyjay, aren't I just so lucky because I've a Conference Pear tree in my back garden; must admit the other day whilst gardening I saw this pear growing and so fancied it, I simply picked it there and then: such sweetness and juice - wished you could have been there to indulge..............

PS: I have two Conference Pear trees, one of them - bought from Woolworths - has yielded plenty; the other - bought from Wilko's - has yet to provide - must give it a little bit more love................... :biggrin:

• 4 years later...
15 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Remember these?..

My mum would  be most upset if she found out that i had told every one that she resembled the "tubby" one in the middle. Fortunately for me she does not log into nostalgia.

• Like 2

NBL. Makes me feel even older - in 1976 I'd been married 10 years and had children aged 9, 7 and 6!

• Like 1