• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was working with a bloke yesterday, we retreated to the van in a downpour, he pulled out his snap-box to eat his corn dog & branston sliced bread sandwiches, I noticed he left all the crusts, th

A corn dog over here is a Frankfurter sausage encased in cornbread then breaded and deep fried.  it is on a stick, and you couldn't pay me to eat one!

As a kid, I remember my mum dipping freshly baked bread in the dripping after she had cooked a Sunday roast. But iv never seen her or done it myself in years! I used to love salad cream of ketchup s

mmmmmmm tripe and onions done in a white sauce with mashed tates...yummy, love it, sadly M.O.M won't even try it so never on the menu anymore :(

My stepfather used to eat pigs trotters, tripe, cod roe etc. As a southern softie I couldn't stand it. Couldn't used to people eating brad and butter with an apple either. Strange how things vary throughout the country.

\snip\

Potted Meat and crisp sandwiches bought by weight from the Butcher.

\snip\

Yer can't get potted meat here in Scotland - it's one of the few things I miss about England.

Compo,

Ayupmiducks has given a recipe on #25,It looks simple so i am going to have a go.You could make some and freeze it in small amounts.Its worth a go if you miss it.I am surprised you can't get it up in Scotland with all that Highland Beef.

Looks straightforward enough - I'll have a go at it. Will buy some mince when I go shopping :)

I don't think I've made potted beef since we left Oz, but the left over roast beef wants grinding real fine so as it spreads easily. We use our Oster Kitchen centre for that, then like I say, use a saucepan to "fry" the ground roast beef with plenty of butter, you'll soon find out how much....LOL It soaks the butter up like blotting paper, add salt to taste, and try some tomato puree to one batch, it's delicious!! BUT, remember, it will go mouldy real quick with tomato puree, so make sure you get it into the freezer as soon as it's cooled.

mmmmmmm tripe and onions done in a white sauce with mashed tates...yummy, love it, sadly M.O.M won't even try it so never on the menu anymore :(

Just for you, darkazana -

3377290301_614c8e86bf.jpg?v=0

I'm sure my aunt used to add something else to the ground up beef to her potted meat, but cannot for the life of me remember what. Otherwise it would just taste of beef and nothing else but the butter and salt ?

I used to turn the old mincer while she pushed the meat through.

On one of the recipes I found on the net was a supposedly old Yorkshire one, with a teaspoon of ground mace and a teaspoon of anchovy essence. Then the butter bit.

Not a clue what Mace tastes like.

When we were in Nottm last I bought some pre packed potted meat from Morrisons at Netherfield and it was passable on crusty cobs with lurpack butter.

Think they stopped ,making the loose stuff when all the health and safety with food packaging etc. came to be.

I seem to remember Sutherlands potted meat for some reason but don't know why.

Cliff ton

Yuk, I agree, I used to eat tripe with salt, pepper and vinegar as a kid, I think it was probably raw, I couldn't touch it now after so many years of having none. I never tried Tripe, onions and mash, Just looking at the image, i know why.

Was the film by any chance,THE BLOB.Lol

Well My tripe and onions never looked like that. The tripe was cooked in milk, and then a white onion sauce was made, and the white tripe mixed in with it. Mash served at the side.....the picture above looks like unbleached tripe was used, which is what you can buy for the dogs dinner!!!!

Well My tripe and onions never looked like that. The tripe was cooked in milk, and then a white onion sauce was made, and the white tripe mixed in with it. Mash served at the side.....the picture above looks like unbleached tripe was used, which is what you can buy for the dogs dinner!!!!

How you describe it, is how I remember it as a kid, I could only eat the sauce & mash though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tripe, YUK!!

As a kid, I remember my mum dipping freshly baked bread in the dripping after she had cooked a Sunday roast. But iv never seen her or done it myself in years!

I used to love salad cream of ketchup sarnies too! & crisp sarnies with a dash of salad cream, ooft.

On holiday, I enjoyed some fresh baked white bread with onion chutney, it was lovely.

As for cheap and cheerful meals or snacks, the other night I made a cornbeef hash! With baked beans in, red onion, abit of salt + Worcester sauce topped with cheesy mash and served with whatever veg needed using from the fridge. Gotta make do on a budget :)

• Upvote 1

I used to take a couple of packets of crisps, and bread and butter to work for my snap, I loved the Bovril flavoured Crisps!!

Bread and brown sauce, condensed milk sarnies, Weetabix with butter and sugar etc, I thought I was the only one who had such delicacies! Amazing to see so many of us were brought up on good healthy food.

I did also have a penchant for dry white bread and salt, but chickens did come home to roost over 50 years later with high blood pressure problems! (Enjoyed it at the time )

Dry bread and Pork Farms scratchings were the real treat.

I have a sort of vague recollection from way back when I was about 3 or 4, eating a concoction that I think consisted of national dried milk (powder), with a little sugar and cocoa powder. As I recall it was rather nice, with a slightly grainy texture. Any other takers?

Steven,

We used to have the Cocoa powder and sugar, but can't remember the dried milk, it sounds very nice. We used to lick it of our little fingers, until we got bored, then we would lick it of the plate like a cat. It used to set on our faces and took a warm wet flannel to move it. mmm mmm

I used to like a pork chop and brown sauce sandwich

Going back to my younger days when mum heated up

A tin of peas (l think was marrowfat peas)

I liked to drink the liguid that was left l called it poly juice

Was cabbage water good for you?