• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was working with a bloke yesterday, we retreated to the van in a downpour, he pulled out his snap-box to eat his corn dog & branston sliced bread sandwiches, I noticed he left all the crusts, th

A corn dog over here is a Frankfurter sausage encased in cornbread then breaded and deep fried.  it is on a stick, and you couldn't pay me to eat one!

As a kid, I remember my mum dipping freshly baked bread in the dripping after she had cooked a Sunday roast. But iv never seen her or done it myself in years! I used to love salad cream of ketchup s

A corn dog over here is a Frankfurter sausage encased in cornbread then breaded and deep fried.  it is on a stick, and you couldn't pay me to eat one!

• Like 2

Oh!! Different things in different countries. I quite like corned beef but, like katyjay, I can't abide those American hot dog sausages. A real German Frankfurter sausage, though, is quite acceptable.

• Like 1
On 7/31/2013 at 4:17 AM, DAVIDW said:

Commo brought back a memory of Weetabix with butter and sugar on too .

A bloke who I used to work with had Weetabix spread thickly with butter and then currants/sultanas on top for smoko almost every day

8 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Learning some new Ausie words here Oz.  What's smoko?

Kransky I can see but I've never heard the word before

Smoko is the morning or afternoon tea break when you stop work for a cup of tea/coffee and a cigarette (Smoko)

Interestingly the miners here call their "snap" "crib" and have underground rooms to have their meal breaks, crib  rooms.

Kransky is the Aussiefied short for name of a Slovenian sausage kranjska klobasa. The main ingredients are pork and bacon with garlic and sea salt.

They are hot smoked and cured, they are eaten cold or cooked. They were introduced to Australia by immigrants in the 50's.

The chilli cheese kransky is a favourite of mine.

• Like 1

Crib rooms on NSW Collieries, at Wongawilli, it was benches and tables, with a pie heater and electric tea urn underground. Surface crib rooms also had a microwave oven. Angus place we had mobile crib rooms, everything mounted on a sledge to make moves easier, again with tea urn and pie heater, flouro lights and telephone mounted on the frame. Two large steel tables and wooden bench tops, nice and comfy to stretch out on "dog watch" (nights).

Also we had cards, dominoes supplied by the company, I was also told there were dart boards and darts kept in the stores, but nobody bothered as we only had short breaks.

Most pits had a tea fund, everyone had a buck or two stopped from their pay, agreed to, to pay for tea and instant coffee. Angus Place had piped potable water to each crib room, Wongawilli we took 55 gallon galvanized drums of potable water to the crib rooms.

Nobody ate their crib with dirty hands either.

Gallah, if you get called one, then you are a nutter, mental case, bit thick. Probably because the bird of that name has the habit of flying headlong into moving cars and trucks.

Pommie, English migrant, nobody really has any idea where it came from, some say "Prisoner of Mother England".

Ten quid Tourist, name give to migrants who sailed in on Ten quid visas , ended in the 70's.

Then there's the standing joke, where does a pommie hide his money? Under a bar of soap.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

NSW Collieries

Ayup, many of the collieries that you knew have and are becoming close to being impacted by the bushfires west of Sydney in the Blue Mountains and the Burragorang Valley and houses have been lost on the outskirts of Lithgow

Having a sticky beak, being nosy would best describe that one.

Bending someones ear, talking the hind legs off a donkey.

Like the old country, there aren't many left now!! When I started at "Wonga" near the Gong, there were dozens of big pits up and down the coast and on the escarpment.

Same in the Western Coalfield, I only know of Springvale that's still operating. Angus Place is on "care and maintenance" The rest have closed.

My old boss from Angus Place and several of my old workmates are on my FB friends list.

I used to like spam sandwiches with HP sauce on them.

4 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Probably because the bird of that name has the habit of flying headlong into moving cars and trucks.

Yes pink and grey and have no road sense as they swoop low when coming across roads, one hit my wing mirror once and smashed it to pieces.

I am a "ten pound pom" and have to say it is the best ten quid that Australia ever spent.

• Like 1