Do you remember on the those long hot sunny days,When you were out building your Den or floating your paper boats and match sticks in the puddle you had created with a few milk bottles of water, Running in and shouting "Mam,I'm hungry" To the reply of "get some bread and jam" or my favourite bread and sauce.Well today we went to Blackpool and i took some brown bread and Lurpack to make chip butties, but we had a meal instead.On the way back we got stuck in a long traffic jam and got off the motorway and found a layby. Remembering the bread and butter in the boot.The only thing we had to put on it was a sachet of HP brown sauce, I tell you what, it was delicious.For all the posh food we eat, it goes to show some times the plainest is the best.Have any of you got a really cheap and cheerful food memory for us.

mmmmmmmm Don't forget salad cream sandwiches.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was working with a bloke yesterday, we retreated to the van in a downpour, he pulled out his snap-box to eat his corn dog & branston sliced bread sandwiches, I noticed he left all the crusts, th

A corn dog over here is a Frankfurter sausage encased in cornbread then breaded and deep fried.  it is on a stick, and you couldn't pay me to eat one!

As a kid, I remember my mum dipping freshly baked bread in the dripping after she had cooked a Sunday roast. But iv never seen her or done it myself in years! I used to love salad cream of ketchup s

Nowt wrong with a beef dripping sandwich either, worrabaht a condensed milk sandwich??

When I was in the pits in Australia, we had hot water boilers, we called them tea urns, to make our hot tea/coffee at meal times underground.

My medical was due in the morning straight from work, as I have trouble supplying a water sample on demand I made sure I'd drunk about twenty gallons of tea at the end of the shift, laced with, you guessed it condensed milk!!

When I pulled into the JCB carpark I was dieing to "empty the radiator", ran inside and Doctor was waiting for me, where's your sample bottle, here he said behind that curtain.......Not big enough said I was yer bog!!

Anyway, he tested my water sample, do you suffer from diabetes he asked me, no said I, well you have a high sugar count....Could it be condensed milk said I?? When I told him of my problem supplying water on demand and what I did, he said "Bingo"..

Makes me wonder to back when I was a kid digging into a can of condensed milk with a spoon....

Weetabix buttered and sugared was another snack.. I like haselet(sp) on buttered bread with HP sauce for my snap..

Crisp sandwiches was another cheap snack.

Of course the old standby, cheese on buttered bread.

My other half always had condensed milk sandwiches when he was young.

You Know, I love Haslet and sauce sandwiches. Can anyone put me right about the pronunciation of Haslet? I know how you spell it, but i was brought up to say.........Hayslet not Haslet, it seems to vary from one person to another.

I don't remember having beef dripping,but loved pork dripping with the jelly and plenty of salt. Pallony? ( the 'meat' product in the red skin) ,sandwich with HP brown sauce.

Banana Sandwiches

Potted Meat and crisp sandwiches bought by weight from the Butcher.

Celery and bread and butter

Bread dipped in the roasting tin after the meat was cooked.

My other half always had condensed milk sandwiches when he was young.

You Know, I love Haslet and sauce sandwiches. Can anyone put me right about the pronunciation of Haslet? I know how you spell it, but i was brought up to say.........Hayslet not Haslet, it seems to vary from one person to another.

Twas always Hayslet that we said.

We used to have bread & Stork (no butter for us kids) & sprinkle sugar on it, bread & sugar, luvleh

To call Polony a meat product was stretchin' the imagination a bit!! but it was nice Mudgie, you're right with that one......... :biggrin:

BTW, still on sale in the UK, still in red plastic wrapping/skin....................

""aye-slet" to me, pronounced the same by my late Mum and the local grocers in the Meadows, and pronounced the same in the small town I lived in at top end of Yorkshire..

And if we pronounced our aitches, we'd get beat up as snobs...LOL

Always loved potted meat, keep saying I'll "mek mesen" some, it's easy to make but takes a lot of butter...

My first experience was of a shop assistant looking at me as if i was stupid, when i asked for ayslet and she kept repeating Haslet,it was a battle,but i won in the end.It was in Safeway,here in West Mids, and i find that is how they all pronounce it in this neck of the woods. It would be easier to just point at it and ask for a 100grams. But that's too easy tho. :tease: lol

When my kids were toddlers, I'd put some tomato sauce in a little pot, cut bread and butter 'soldiers' and they'd happily spend time dipping the soldiers in the sauce to eat.

Brawn is boiled down offal, Pigs chitterings are similar, I found these delicious as a kid.

Bought from the local Lincoln Pork Butcher, Curtis's. Who also sold the delicacy boiled 'Pigs Nose'

Yes we used to have the Chitterlings,I remember being at the butchers and mam asking for half a pigs face, There are lots of things we ate and enjoyed as kids,but on leaving the area i came from,I had no one to keep the recipes alive for me and i have lost the taste for them.

I still don't know what Chawl is,Any ideas?

I just typed in the words... In food what is Chawl and the search engine came up with this ...Black Country Dialect The Ancient manor of Sedgley

It listed Chawl as Pork. That doesn't say much, I'm no wiser.

The word Chawl is from my life in Notts its just coincidence i found the meaning on a Black Country Site.

Gran used to make pigs head brawn, she'd boil a half head for hours then spend an hour or so picking every scrap and placing in a large white basin, the juice was poured in and a small plate placed ontop with a bean tin on it to press it.

Looked and smelled horrible, but when cooled on the pantry slab it was tipped out and carved in slices for tea.

We used to buy Haslett from Pork Farms, dads favourite Friday night tea was fried chitterlings, I used to love em till I knew what they were ! then never ate them again.

Potted meat and potted salmon were another two staples for us kids, get it from Marsdens first then pork farms used to come in a large bowl and you would buy a quarter of a lb.

Anyone have a decent recipe for potted meat ? as my great aunt emily and I used to make home made when I was little using the left over beef roast, but cannot remember what else.

Done a few googles but most seem to have strange spices and anchovies of all things ! and cannot imagine aunt emily using them !

Should have said too, my brothers favourite was cold baked bean sandwiches well salted ! Yuk !!

Mind I used to eat raw quaker oats and sugar in a cup and sometimes a spoon of cocao !

My first experience was of a shop assistant looking at me as if i was stupid, when i asked for ayslet and she kept repeating Haslet,it was a battle,but i won in the end.It was in Safeway,here in West Mids, and i find that is how they all pronounce it in this neck of the woods. It would be easier to just point at it and ask for a 100grams. But that's too easy tho.

Grams? What's all that about then? ! Well, even Wikipedia thinks "acelet" is an alternative form - which neatly gives the correct pronunication, down to the silent "haitch" - the way all us Nott's say it.

Used to live in Lincolnshire for a while. The delicacy with which "Billinghay Feast" was celebrated was stuffed chine.

Steven,

I am afraid the ladies on the cooked meat counter at our Morrisons don't seem to know what an ounce is. It is easier to ask for Grams and get it over with. And as for spelling Aselet, I think through the thread i have spelt it at least three different ways,every one seems to have their own version. Lol It tastes nice with brown sauce anyway.

:unsure:

Potted beef, mince up left over beef until real fine, place butter in a pan, add the minced up beef, fry for a few minutes and add extra butter as needed, when cooked, spoon out into small jars, pour some melted butter over the top to seal it, place a cover over the jar, leave to cool, I stored in the freezer until needed.

I did some tomato potted beef a couple of times, add puree to the frying mix....Once cooked and cooled it's best used up quickly as it goes mouldy real quick!!

I'm toying with the idea of making some turkey spread, made from left over turkey, minced and cooked the same way as the potted beef.