Commo brought back a memory of Weetabix with butter and sugar on too .

If we kids were going on a "picnic" in the fields off Marshall Hill Drive then we would make Tomato sauce and sugar sandwiches .

Shears asks "was cabbage water good for you" . Don't know but my wife always drinks it ....cold . In fact she drinks any water that greens have been boiled including broccoli and cauliflower ....yucccchhh !

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was working with a bloke yesterday, we retreated to the van in a downpour, he pulled out his snap-box to eat his corn dog & branston sliced bread sandwiches, I noticed he left all the crusts, th

A corn dog over here is a Frankfurter sausage encased in cornbread then breaded and deep fried.  it is on a stick, and you couldn't pay me to eat one!

As a kid, I remember my mum dipping freshly baked bread in the dripping after she had cooked a Sunday roast. But iv never seen her or done it myself in years! I used to love salad cream of ketchup s

My Parents and Grand parents all used to drink the Cabbage water, i never did but i always make the gravy with the water from what ever veg i have cooked, so that's the same really. There must be a lot of the vitamins and goodness from the vegetables lost to the water if it is thrown away.

I always thought as a kid, if i did that it would dry my blood up, or that's what i was told so i wouldn't drink it on the way back from the shop. Theres not much i didn't try a bit of on the way back from shopping.

As a kid we got malt vinegar, loose from the fish mongers shop, it came in an oak barrel, I used to go down for my mum with a bottle and get a pint, on the way home I would probably drink a third of it !

Mum used to say I'd rot my stomach !

Very big here in oz at the moment is vegatable juicing, its supposed to detox and clean the body, and is an aid to losing weight.

One of my daughters is currently on a 7 day veggie juice only fast ! she does it fairly regularly and is convinced of the health benefits from it.

She recons after a couple of days she actually "craves" the juice which she freshly prepares daily. She has up to 6 glasses of it every day for a week.

She certainly looks healthy on it and has no ill effects at all.

Used to love that stuff, and the Haliborange tablets that we used to get in the winter.

I think the veggie juice you're on about Banjo, and the one the others are talking about are two different animals.

Looks like the one you're on about is juiced whole veggies, the one they posters are on about is the water the veggies are cooked in.

• 4 years later...

I was working with a bloke yesterday, we retreated to the van in a downpour, he pulled out his snap-box to eat his corn dog & branston sliced bread sandwiches, I noticed he left all the crusts, the blokes about 45 he said he'd always done that since a kid, my Dad would have bashed him into next week :crazy: Don't you want curly hair? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Swmbo always leaves some of the crust - not all, just some.  When I asked her why she said she had no idea - it was just something she did?!  It drives me bonkers to see such waste.

• 3 months later...

you can still buy HP in glass bottles but they only seem to be in the small size and cost quite a lot more than the plastic ones.

• 1 year later...

I used to repair United Yeast vans they had bedfords austins commers and were based on Glaisdale they would give  me large pot bowls of potted meat,bacon and sausages this would be in the late 60s probably not there any more.

Thats jogged my memory Finn,, united yeast was delivered to Marsdens shops in the 60s with the Potted meat,,was it Barkers?

I used to repair United Yeast vans they had bedfords austins commers and were based on Glaisdale they would give  me large pot bowls of potted meat,bacon and sausages this would be in the late 60s probably not there any more.

Yes it could have been Barkers it was a very popular brand back then it could have been under  the United Yeast umbrella even Blanchards the bakery at Watnall which was taken over by Spillers the Millers to become Wonderloaf all one big company dont know who is left now.

Barkers potted meat was sold loose,,as was Binghams salmon paste and DCL Yeast.

Come to think of it Oz the only brand in jars was Shiphams,,oh just remembered Princess,,in them posh little. White pots,,

• Like 1

Potted meat was sold by weight when I was a child. The shopkeeper used a wooden spatula to remove the required amount from the bowl and then it was wrapped in greaseproof paper. The potted meat always had a layer of melted butter on the top.

Cue Ben....

Best Potted meat mrs Williams ?   1/3 a Qtr.........you want 3/4 ?....blimey thats a lot,,,............yes Ben,,our Dolly's birthday party,,she's 15 tomorrow and having a party after school..........she got another boyfriend after packing me up ?.............yes its George next door,,nice lad,,,oh that reminds me can i have a Qtr of Salmon paste as well,,how much is it? our Dolly wants to impress him........''its 1/6 mrs Williams''.......wish i was coming to Dolly's party.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1