The "Vic" Ballroom Late 50's early 60's

Who can remember the "Vic" later the Locarno, at the bottom of Huntingdon Street.I now live in Adelaide Oz, and often wonder what happened to you all. Iwas living in Clifton at the time. Any body remember Little Jake, Ron Corney, Fuzzy Foster Terry Small.I met my first real girl friend there. We used to meet in the Britania pub facing the "Vic"

Always thought there was a great deal of 'eater snobbery' directed at the Berni Inns.

Apparently this anti-brigade played a part in their eventual demise.

Personally, I always considered their steaks - and their all round good value - to be superb!

Cheers

Robt P.

Always thought there was a great deal of 'eater snobbery' directed at the Berni Inns.

Apparently this anti-brigade played a part in their eventual demise.

Personally, I always considered their steaks - and their all round good value - to be superb!

Cheers

Robt P.

'eater snobbery'

Please Explain?

'eater snobbery'

Please Explain?

The growing number of folk who are self-appointed 'gourmets', perhaps used to eating out with, what they consider, to be more style....

Today's convenient roadside stops such as 'Little Chef' and 'Happy Eater' receive similar dismissive treatment from such people...

Cheers

Robt P.

You must remember dancing round your handbag. I used to go to the Lacarno in my lunchhour from work, we had about 30 minutes dancing and the rest of the time running back to work before we were late.

That was in the sixties. They used o play some great music,

A ;)

yes remember lunch time sessions well - also used to go to the Palais at lunchtime to dance to r'n'r in 58/59.

Seem to remember some one getting thrown from the balcony on to the dance floor at the Locarno - local rumour at the time was that he was killed.

Could this have been about the time of the race - riots on St Anns Well Road?

Yes Tuts I remember 15 mins to get there 30mins dancing+15mins to get back to work.We never danced round our bags,we used to stuff em under those little red sofas out of the way.

Cant remember anyone chucked over the balcony but it could have happened as there was a punch up most nights.

I remember the Vic very well used to go there with Big Barry Clements of Bathley Street (Medders) on Tuesday nights in the early 60's. I won a shirt in a raffle there Xmas Eve '63 - fust shot i evver ad.

Remember the spitoon and they used to play "Teen Beat" when it was chucking out time.

Foxy

Teen Beat was performed by Sandy Nelson,he was (he still may be) a fantastic

drum player.He also did Let THere Be Drums and many others that I cant think of at the moment.

Where was the spitoon situated-I dont remember it? Us young laydees wot went there didn't know about such things.You'll be saying they put sawdust on the floor next.

• 2 weeks later...
Cant fix the location fgor this?

Was Britania the Berni inn?

The Brit was a right old dive at the very end.

Greenie, he'd had had the Newmarket before, still insisted on pricing his beer in shillings and what sight he was behind the bar in his string vest, shorts, black socks and sandals.

• 5 months later...

The old VIC or Lecano is now the GALA Bingo club - so the other half says.

One of 3 in Nottingham and 280 nationwide (I do a lot of work for them)

The wife's brother was the Manager at the Brittania Bernie Inn for a while in the 70's. Since knocked down and turned into a new high rise accomodation complex.

Dodger Green was certainly one a Nottinghams Finest Working from the Guildhall, Central Div. before he took up the licensed trade. Another part of his eccentricity was a season ticket for his yorkshire terrier at Meadow Lane. (But was all this 'eccentricity' good publicity?

I met him only once, at the Newmarket of course.

He would have been one of Tugs mates at that time.(mentioned elswhere in these forums) and of the Alf Bowley Era

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

yes remember lunch time sessions well - also used to go to the Palais at lunchtime to dance to r'n'r in 58/59.

Seem to remember some one getting thrown from the balcony on to the dance floor at the Locarno - local rumour at the time was that he was killed.

Could this have been about the time of the race - riots on St Anns Well Road?

Yes I remember that person being thrown over the balcony!! I was there and it frightened the life out of me. Must have 59/60.
  • 3 years later...

BUMP

About 1957 I was persuaded by a friend of mine to go with him to the Vic on a Saturday morning to ballroom dancing lessons. I took some persuading but he seemed keen to go, so went along and was absolutely horrified when I arrived to find that we were the the only two boys there, and were expected to pair up with A GIRL !!

I did go with him once more and found that at the interval I could find my way onto the balcony and by sitting on the floor next to the balustrade could not be seen from the dancefloor. Unfortunately it seems I was not the first to find this refuge as the instructor found me within 15 minutes and I was forced back downstairs to partake in the Palais Glide !! UUGH !!

Needless to say I did not return again, but can still just about waltz in a straight line. My friend kept on and eventually became a professional dancer on the Cruise ships.

• Upvote 1