A selection of Corporation buses

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

loppy asked about Inspectors, were they like "Blakey" ? No, not at all, a Blakey wannabe would appear very rarely but never lasted more than five minutes. Inspectors needed goodwill from the drivers

#68. Difficult to answer really ! AEC Renown has to be near the top of that list. We had at Bulwell Depot 360 to 379 & every one was different in some way. 363 had lovely light steering (rememb

Part 2. My favourite buses. There were many I liked but my two all time favourites would be in second place the Mk 1 Leyland National used on the central area free bus service. I did the odd shift on

Thanks for the link Bamber. When I was a kid (60's) the corpo buses going to the Mapperley area from slab square used to have a strange whining noise, anyone know why?

It was a characteristic of AEC buses - Leylands always had a growl.

In late 1964, we were living in Hucknall and has both Trent (Red) and Notts and General (Blue) covering the area. I went to school in Sneinton Dale and caught a Nottingham Transport to Parliament Street Station and then a Notts and General to Hucknall. At that stage there were still trolley busses running to Bulwell.

I think the link had been posted before - but worth seeing again - and I'm stuffed if I can find it; probably StephenFord.

So to take it one step further, here's a link I'd posted before to someone's Flickr site with an amazing number of Nottinghamshire (not just city) buses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/sets/72157603923450406/

• Upvote 2

That sound clip is exactly what I mean, thanks for the link Stephen. I presume the whineis from the gearbox or drive train.

I lived in Chester-lee-street for a while when I was a kid & I loved going to the market square to see & hear all the buses that used to be there from surrounding towns & Cities: Northern General, United, Hall Brothers & others I can't remember. Oh & the bright yellow Newcastle corpo buses..

• Upvote 1

Colly 0410. Did you "Shop at Binns"?

I'm sure we did, I can remember seeing Binns up there & Binns adds on the buses. I went to the local co-op, when they asked for my number I said "11xxxx they said "that's wrong they've only got 4 figures" I'd given them my Nottingham co-op number, we had a new number up there but I can't remember it. When I started at school up there all the other kids wanted to know if I knew Robin Hood?