A selection of Corporation buses

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

loppy asked about Inspectors, were they like "Blakey" ? No, not at all, a Blakey wannabe would appear very rarely but never lasted more than five minutes. Inspectors needed goodwill from the drivers

#68. Difficult to answer really ! AEC Renown has to be near the top of that list. We had at Bulwell Depot 360 to 379 & every one was different in some way. 363 had lovely light steering (rememb

Part 2. My favourite buses. There were many I liked but my two all time favourites would be in second place the Mk 1 Leyland National used on the central area free bus service. I did the odd shift on

Thank Cliff, it'll save me giving it the once over. 

Young lunatics in their chavvy little hatchbacks. I bet half of them haven't passed their test, and most likely not insured either. 

19 hours ago, Bubblewrap said:

I  think  he appears to be standing on something, but not having a "Jimmy"

There appears to be some bricks missing off the top of the wall and our man looks like he is standing on them?

I thought that was what I said in #122?

As I stated  earlier, the current tram / railway is DEFINITELY behind him. I pass there several times a week. 

It may have been in those days. Maybe the Fina filling station is a clue. I'm sure the one near the White Heart was Fina.

I agree with Malcolm and here's the evidence.  I reckon the bus is going up Beechdale Rd, and this is the scene today.

wigmanrd1_zpsrwaugm2n.jpg

On Enigma's bus photo in the bottom right corner is a brick entrance post. That is still there today on the car park to the Beechdale.

beech_zpsfekfrct5.jpg

• Upvote 1

#143.

Manvers Street ?  

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9518501,-1.1360287,3a,75y,111.75h,78.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHkt6O-0zvxyZry-QRL0_Kg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Passengers upstaire having a fag. New drivers , new license hence no "L" plates.

After the test new drivers taken out in many different buses, called it "All Types"  !

Catfan was right !   I looked in Old Telephone Directories and BICC were at 10 Newark Street, Sneinton. In the modern photo that's the road alongside the white building with narrow windows. The BICC depot was behind the new housing beyond the cars.

manvers_zpskyyq9yur.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice shot Enigma,I notice beside the blue Variant that Vicki Fashions is still Baker & Plumb. The Golden Egg hasn't been built yet!

Further on is the lovely Westminster Buildings, in which I borrowed several period toilet fixtures and fittings!

The Hand Inn had two entrances like the Stage Door?..can't recall.