A selection of Corporation buses

I remember Lind-Air Audio with fondeness. In the '70s I bought a pair of fairly pricey Marantz speakers from them and paid on my Access card. Many years later, by the time Access was discontinued, I still hadn't been charged for them.  

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

loppy asked about Inspectors, were they like "Blakey" ? No, not at all, a Blakey wannabe would appear very rarely but never lasted more than five minutes. Inspectors needed goodwill from the drivers

#68. Difficult to answer really ! AEC Renown has to be near the top of that list. We had at Bulwell Depot 360 to 379 & every one was different in some way. 363 had lovely light steering (rememb

Part 2. My favourite buses. There were many I liked but my two all time favourites would be in second place the Mk 1 Leyland National used on the central area free bus service. I did the odd shift on

Stockhill Lane It has just rounded the corner off of Nuthall Road having departed from Cinderhill. Broxtowe Lane running off into the distance under the steel bridge. The trolley is Notts & Derby Traction of course.

• Upvote 1

Colwick because there was flat land all behind it..............was the Pub near there called 'Ginger Tom' ?

#154.  Stockhill lane sure has changed, Cliff.  The Barleycorn is missing for one thing.

While I was on streetview I took a walk along Stockhill and into the old Wimpey estate where I used to live.  My old house is still there but looks so different now although the concrete sectional garage that I put up is still there.  Must have done something right.   Brought back some memories for sure.  Never thought when I left there that one day I would be sitting in Ga. 46 years on looking over the fence.

#153. Spot on Pianoman, and with the name of the bus company, with its name written witten around a garter. What intriques me is the white telephone box in the distance. I can't remember them.

It's still there Chulla. Just near the Garage Door Company. Red of course nowadays.

It was the same as the old Midland General B1 (Ripley to Nottingham) UNTIL it got to Stockhill Lane and then did Stockhill Lane, Percy Street, Alpine Street, and then whatever to Nottingham Road, Sherwood Rise, Mansfield Road, Milton Street and finished at Queen Street. In Trent days the route became 230 but was an infrequent service and eventually disappeared. All we get now is Rainbow One which still follows the old B1 route.  I feel I am getting a bit like Stephen Ford!:blink:

• Upvote 1

It was originally a tram route of course.  There's a map on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottinghamshire_and_Derbyshire_Tramways_Company

It mentions there the trams were known as the 'Ripley Rattlers', but an old chap I used to work with (well, he was in fact only aged 50 when I first knew him!) used to say they were called the 'Ripley Roarers'.

• Upvote 1

Just someone I knew many years ago that drove both trams and trolleybuses for Notts & Derby Traction on that A1 route. He referred to them as Ripley Roarers and he drove 'em! He was in his 70's and 80's when I knew him. Probably been dead 25 years now.

It was only the trolleybuses that took the Nottingham Road route out of town. The original Ripley trams started in Parliament Street (about opposite the big Co-op as far as I can gather), and then followed the old Bulwell route by Canning Circus, Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road and Radford Road, before bearing left over the bridge at Church Street Basford. You can see this on the map that Merthyr Imp put up.

CliffTon, pic #174, real bilborough bus service 56 to Wigman Rd, Strelley Rd,  probably got on it when i was a kid, corner of Wigman and Bracebridge, many many thanks for showing pic and memories it restored, again thank you CliffTon, beautiful