The rise & fall of the Nottingham Coop!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

image hosting service Speaking of sensible shoes and socks. Me aged about 7 at the Co-op.

Here's an embarrassing photo of me and my friend Hazel visiting the Co-op Santa.  We were 11 years old - can't remember if I still believed in him at that age!!   I think we were in school uniform....

Thats what i mean Cliff ton,,,what is their policy?  selling some small shops and opening others,,,great memory of Hilton crescent about 1994,,,,two dead leary blokes were going in at night on a regul

I always had to go to the G&S Santa - delusions of grandeur from my mother. The Coop Santa was definitely down market!

The Santa myth was destroyed for me at an early age by my granny who said that it was impossible for him to come down the chimney as 'he would burn his arse off'.

Colwick cheese? Excellent stuff on bread with plenty of vinegar, salt & pepper and, if you were lucky, sliced cucumber.

Divi number: 9880 - Hucknall Coop Society.

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

As kids I wonder how many of us had our photos taken with Santa at the CO-OP

Never had my photo taken with Santa. Sitting on strange men's knees was never my idea of a sensible thing to do!

I was more interested in the grotto and recall one year where there were tunnels of polystyrene, fairy lights and fake snow with models of fairies, elves and such like. Santa was a bit of a disappointment at the end of all that!

Here's an embarrassing photo of me and my friend Hazel visiting the Co-op Santa.  We were 11 years old - can't remember if I still believed in him at that age!!   I think we were in school uniform.... do you like my sensible shoes and grey socks?

IMG-2155.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Here's an embarrassing photo of me and my friend Hazel visiting the Co-op Santa.  We were 11 years old - can't remember if I still believed in him at that age!!   I think we were in school uniform.... do you like my sensible shoes and grey socks?

IMG-2155.jpg

You’ve worn well Margie!

• Like 3

Just think, Katyjay... we might have visited Santa on the same day!   We might even have been in the same queue to see him, although I think you were probably there later in the day as his facial decoration has slipped a bit .....

I remember getting one of those wooden pencil cases with the sliding lid. I was thrilled to bits. Looking at the shape of the paper bag I think a colouring book too.

• Like 1

I have a truly horrific pic of me and my late Sis Pam at Co-op Santa.  It's too gruesome to put online.  I might get banned.  Then I feel half banned already what with this logging in issue.

Off the post just a little bit as it's still CO-OP

When you were leaving school can you remember which factories they took you to look  around to see if you would like to work there!!!

Yes!! you have remembered I can see you all smiling well we were taken around CO-OP laundry, nothing put me off any more than that visit, it had been the only job going well you know what they could have done with it, now don't get me wrong some one had to work there, but it was not for me.

• 3 months later...

Ayup people, Alan here. Are there any old Nott'm Co-op employees out there that can remember the old Co-op logo that was on the side of the vans. I remember it was an anchor with a chain inside a shield with NCS woven around it. I've tried to find any photos, but the old NCS seems to have been consigned to history. Any info would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks, Al. Ex Meadow Lane Mechanic.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, Litcho1 said:

I remember it was an anchor with a chain inside a shield with NCS woven around it.

Is this what you are looking for Litcho 1 you can see the anchor and chain on this building

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm004785/posterid/ntgm004785.html