The rise & fall of the Nottingham Coop!

My second job was an apprentice florist at the Co-op in 1971.  The florist was attached to the greengrocer on one side and the butchers the other.  The shops were positioned just before the main store on Parliament Street.  Mr Coleman was the boss - a very nice kind chappy.  Every Saturday on closure he would give me and the two Saturday lads bags of fruit and veg to take home to our parents BUT you must never press his melons!

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

image hosting service Speaking of sensible shoes and socks. Me aged about 7 at the Co-op.

Here's an embarrassing photo of me and my friend Hazel visiting the Co-op Santa.  We were 11 years old - can't remember if I still believed in him at that age!!   I think we were in school uniform....

Thats what i mean Cliff ton,,,what is their policy?  selling some small shops and opening others,,,great memory of Hilton crescent about 1994,,,,two dead leary blokes were going in at night on a regul

On 4/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, doodle said:

My second job was an apprentice florist at the Co-op in 1971.  The florist was attached to the greengrocer on one side and the butchers the other.  The shops were positioned just before the main store on Parliament Street.  

I think this might be the place you're referring to. The florist and greengrocer and butchers are the block on the left; the main Co-op building is just off to the right.

S4pZpjp.jpg

(Re-posting because I think Doodle may have missed it first time...)

• 1 month later...

I think everyone in my family worked for co-op at some time. My dad was at Middleton Boulevard before the war as a delivery lad. He nearly got sacked for being cheeky to a posh customer. She had asked to see a foldi g garden seat that had a canopy. My mum worked in the Co op house offices, later using her divi to uy my school uniform. I worked on the milk rounds in the 70s first at Beechdale then at Long Eaton, both depots now closed. At the same time I was working part time as pump attendant at Co op service station on Wollaston Vale. 

• Like 1

Sad to see so many Coops disappearing..............even their larger Superstores,,, Strelley,,Wollaton,,Carlton rd,,Bulwell,,Ilkeston coop house,,and of course Nottingham,,........pretty sure i worked in every Coop in the greater Nottingham area including Lincolnshire,,,,,,,,when they subbed out their Security i then worked Coops nationally,,,,,great times with great people............

• Like 1

A lot of the convenience stores have been taken over by McColls recently. Notably Highbury Vale, and Valley Rd, to name but two.

Yes Fly thats what made me make the comment,,,Broxtowe,,,Aspley,,,Strelley,,,being others,,,i don't understand the coop policy..................

Edit.........things change so fast nowadays,, i was in Kirkby a few days ago,, i used to work a largish Coop there in the Precinct

Not only coudn't find the Coop........couldn't find the bleddy Precinct !!!

• Upvote 1

Yes, seen the Broxtowe and Strelley ones too. I'd forgotten those.

Sorry about my scrambled posts. My tablet just seems to do what it likes. I'm now back to using my computer. I meant to say why my dad nearly got the sack from Middleton BVD co-op. One of his posh  customers asked to see the garden furniture range. She made a decision and told him she wanted a seat with a canopy. My cheeky dad replied "A can of what?" He had to go and see the manager for his crime.

• Like 3

New (smaller) Co-op store opened in Hykeham Lincs a few weeks ago, the bigger store in Lincoln shut down about the same time

Rog

11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Sad to see so many Coops disappearing..............

They small/medium stores seem to be having a bit of a revival recently. There's a new one (maybe a year or so) on Farnborough Road, Clifton, next door to the site of the now-demolished Winning Post pub.

And the one at Hilton Crescent, West Bridgford, has just had a major makeover.

The old bus station Ben,yes, the new one is now called a transport hub because it's next to the train station and multi story car park,all very nice but the bus station doors face the prevailing winds so inside gets really cold (every one complained about it) the owners response was "They didn't want it to be too comfortable to keep the homeless out,funny old world innit

Rog

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

They small/medium stores seem to be having a bit of a revival recently. There's a new one (maybe a year or so) on Farnborough Road, Clifton, next door to the site of the now-demolished Winning Post pub.

And the one at Hilton Crescent, West Bridgford, has just had a major makeover.

Thats what i mean Cliff ton,,,what is their policy?  selling some small shops and opening others,,,great memory of Hilton crescent about 1994,,,,two dead leary blokes were going in at night on a regular basis,,,threatening the staff and helping themselves.

So i took 4 lady store detectives one night,,they all sat in the office on camera and i sat outside in my car,,,they duly turned up helped themselves and were about to leave with their ill gotten gains,,....cut a long story short i stopped em at the door and they began making threats,,,one minute later my Ladies had them on the floor and were sitting on them,,,as they pleaded with me to make them get off........good result Police took em away and we all went for a pint in the Vale at Daybrook.......the ladies were not for messing with.......loved em all.......:blink:

• Like 4

Rog,    The one that was adjacent to the bus station had a Cafe which was not too bad,,,used to do interviews for Guards in there,,,  My Fag breaks consisted of standing with the 'Homeless and Beggers''  and plenty of mostly good natured 'Banter' was exchanged,,,they all behaved if you gave them a Fag........lol

• Like 1

Co-op had a wallpaper and paint shop about half way up Derby Rd. The manager, can't remember his name, had,  putting it politely, a somewhat questionable sense of humour,

Back then wallpaper had to be trimmed on a machine, it was never accurate and often produced a wavy edge. Later the edges were 'knock off', you had to hit a hard surface to knock the edges off.

• Like 1

I can remember me dad hitting the end of the roll on the kitchen table,broke the table,so we had a quiet weekend,one because he broke the table and two because he didn't like decorating,what a wonderful childhood

Rog

• Like 1