Heard a rumor quite a while back that the area around West Street, Furlong road and High street road was built upon an pre victorian cemetery, Just wondering how true this is or is it just a rumor? Lost cemeteries are nothing new. I remember hearing when they demolished the old Ice Stadium they found a forgotten WW1 cemetery in the car park next door.

If you're ever visiting Boyes, have a look on top of the raised plinth next to the entrance. It's made up of Victorian gravestones, laid flat, as that's where the cemetery used to be.

Aye i know that as that used to be the site of a methodist church.

Back in those days, Arnold seems to have been full of Methodist places.........THREE of them in that small area (not to mention the Baptists)

meth.jpg

The cemetery in the ice stadium car park was one of three on Barker Gate established to take the overflow from St Marys during the cholera outbreak in the 1830s.

that funny my niece lived on west st oposit the new flats for a few years carnt remember the number new house 2 doors up from the arch to the car park from arnold end of west st

I remember as a child there being gravestones leaning against the wall running up the side of the old coop on front street

This from my brother, a member of the Arnold local history society:

"It would appear that the only burials in the area you mention are: At the Arnold end of Cross street, opposite the Robin Hood and Little John Pub, where the Library now stands, there was once a small chapel, which when they demolished it to build the library, the ground yielded up a few remains."

• Upvote 1