living on a budget

Used to use pressure cooker and still do if I want to make stew quickly, and for Christmas pud, but prefer proper steamer for my veg. By the time I'd finished taking the pressure cooker off and heating up again for adding veg which don't take so long to cook it takes as long to use as the steamer, where I can add the veg without taking it off the stove, and still use the water for the gravy. Slow cooker really doesn't use so much energy. Have a gadget which shows the electric consumption and it shows very little increase.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

i prepear my stews and casoroles in the morning and cookon a low light all day by tea time nice and tender freeze half and eat what we want that day put rest in casarole dish and reheat on a high heat the next day. always tastes better the second day.

As mentioned elswhere, chicken giblets in the water in pressure cooker (after trimming of any fat).

Leave to cook and add veg on top in a basket to steam.

The best gravy stock you can get, thicken with 'Goldenfry' onion gravy powder, mixed in a cup first to get rid of any lumps.

Chickens dont have any taste anymore

That's because they don't have any fat on them! The flavour comes from fat. Similarly, if you can get good fatty Hereford beef it will always taste better than the lean, fast growing continental breeds used in farming today.

As I walked around the garden today I stopped to pull a carrot to munch on and then picked a few young, tender pea pods to eat straight from the vine. Lovely and can't get cheaper than that.

That reminds me, carni. When I was a little kid my Mum would sit on the back step podding the peas. Family Favourites would be on the radio and I'd go and sit on the step and help my Mum with the peas. When I thought she wasn't looking I'd sneak one into my mouth and when she caught me she'd give me a playful clip round the ear. I can also remember helping her with the washing as I turned the handle on the mangle.

Sitting on the step with Mam, the colander and pan and peas,is exactly how it remember to,so many of us did similar things in our childhood it must have been the way things were in those days,very down to earth,not much dosh about. I was allowed to pod the Broad Beans on my own as they weren't so tasty raw, lol Pixie,I wish i could pass on to you some of the meals Mam cooked, they were all on a budget, Rabbit, (stewed or roasted) Mince in Pies or with Mash, Something called Fry! served with Swede/potato mash,Yorkies and veg, Peas Soup made with Pork Bones, Breast of Lamb,(roasted or in Stew), all made with cheap cuts but so tasty, its marvelous how adding a few onions to a recipe can bring out the flavor. When she made Stew she always said to us. "shout Hoy! if you get a piece of meat". It was always delicious though.

Sunday dinner preparation involved me in chopping up the fresh mint if it were roast lamb, and the fresh parsley for the thyme and parsley stuffing. Operation carried out with a small pair of nail scissors and after a while it didn't half hurt your little fingers!

Radio accompaniment was the omnibus edition of The Archers with Jack and Dan having a drink with Walter in The Bull.

Carni, you must be pretty close to Ambridge, have you been in The Bull lately?

Commo #34

Do the people from Ambridge take Umbrage if you offend them?

I have never been to ' The Bull,' but my hubby says i some times talk it. Lol :blush:

Mmmmm; I can smell the Mint, Thyme, Parsley and Sage.

Denshaw #35

Sounds like a good idea,i might give it ago to see if it works.

The last time I was over in England,(2002)I was shocked at the price of food.It is no wonder that people on limited incomes have to budget their spending on food.

Locally we have 'farmers markets',fresh produce is at least half of the store prices,then there are 'meat markets'much the same in prices.

Just out of curiosity,what is the cost of a gallon of milk, or a loaf of bread?

Milk is either sold as

4 pints = 2.27305 litres

or

2 litres = 3.51951 pints

Both are £1

Both plastic containers look the same size when on display but as you can see buying in litres

you get about 12% less, or nearly half a pint less!

Not many people know that!

• Upvote 1

2 gal milk $4.80

5 Avacados $3.90

10 ears of corn $1.00

10lb of Oranges $4.00

2lb Strawberries $3.00

10 lb Taters $3.50

2 things I do miss is Pork crackling & Herring not in the same meal Ha Ha but cant get either.

Mudgie # 37 ...... I don't know where Mick buys his milk but I paid £1.29 for 4 pints the other day in a supermarket, therefore £2.58 for a gallon. But remember that the US gallon is 10% smaller than the UK gallon. I've found bread to be a lot more expensive in the USA compared to the UK. In Miami I pay around $3.50 for a medium size loaf that would be around £1.00 over here. We haven't had milk delivered for about 20 years but at that time I remember paying 33p a pint, so it's cheaper now.

• Upvote 1

We pay £1.39 for a two litre bottle of milk from our local corner shop.

Most our veg is almost free as I have an allotment & carbon free as my plot is only five minuets walk from our house.

Hang on there's a catch!

Quite true, Iceland do a 4 pint bottle for £1, but 4 pints is 2.272 litres.

Some places, Farmfoods for example are charging £1 for 2 litres which is 0.272 ltrs less than 4 pints, so 'short measure' there!

Sainsburys do a 4 pint bottle of 1% fat milk which has an orange label and top, for £1, very good it is too

But go in Tesco and the exact same milk, exact same size is £1.29

• Upvote 1

Milk.

Mine is fresh straight from the cow, non treated and healthy, I also get my butter, cream, cottage cheese and yoghurts, from the same heard, at my brother in laws farm, and they taste GOOD.

Go to Morrisons at 3.00pm on a Sunday, loads of reduced prices (Well there is at ours!)

No word of a lie , I fed our lot for less than 3 quid for a whole week once, everything on the 'woopsie counter' was at 9p and there was loads of it too ! I even got a big joint of Beef for 99p (should have been 12 quid) I've had a whole Gammon for 2 and a half quid before too.

Trouble is where we are word has got round and it's all gone really quick now.