living on a budget

I have a strange penchant for Taramasalata

That's sad, thinking of all those poor little fishes that never got the chance to dip their flippers in the sea. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

John

We have three, dogs 1 small 2 medium...

How many chucks do I need?

About four would keep your back yard clean......LOL

That's sad, thinking of all those poor little fishes that never got the chance to dip their flippers in the sea. :)

Two pots this week too !!

It's a real false economy though, as I spent 9p on a 'woopsie' packet of pita bread, and £1.90 on two tubs of Taramasalata !

• 1 month later...

Tonight I'm making meatball stroganoff. A cheap alternative to cuts of beef, especially if you make your own meatballs + a jar of sauce with onions and mushrooms.

A tasty cheap winter meal :)

Working as an agency operative in catering, I see the profound waste in hotels but also some brilliant ways of saving money in budget run canteens. There is a lot of cooked food (like bacon or even chips) that are saved over to the next day. If we have the mod (family) round for Sunday dinner, we use my wife's hostess trolley (which she picked up for a song) and whatever is left in it after dinner goes in the fridge for a stew to supplement Monday and Tuesdays meal.

If you go anywhere and want a cheap cuppa with a scone (or scon LOL), biscuit, cake or whatever, try to find a church café. That one at Skeggy (near the little market off Lumley Rd) is brilliant.

Another cheap and easy tasty meal to try! This is very simple, but fills the house with delicious tempting aroma .(but you have to like onions though).

Deep Casserole dish with lid.

Approx 1lb Minced beef (browned in a pan if preferred, not essential)

2 to 3 lge Onions, thinly sliced in circles.

2 to 3 lge Potatoes, thinly sliced in circles.

1 or 2 beef stock cubes (can be made with out, will still be tasty) salt and pepper.

Place all the ingredients in the dish in layers,....Mince, Onion then Potatoes. ending with potatoes, cover with stock and seasoning and lid.At this stage you can bring to the boil in the microwave for speed, then cook in low oven for approx 2 to 3 hrs, remove lid and turn up oven to brown potatoes..And Wallah, another cheap tasty meal :hungr:

• Upvote 1

Another version of this is using lamb mince with a tin of tomatoes added, and some tomato puree if you have some, or using up some home grown tomatoes if you have a glut of them. I often add a splash of Worcester sauce too....heaven thumbsup

Bilbraborn,

Lol, glad you said about the apple/custard, :huh: I know what you mean about church halls for a cuppa and cake (always home baked), we have not tried the Skeggy one that you recommended, but always as a daily routine we would call in the Church hall, half way down Sea Lane at Ingelmells for the usual scone/cake and tea. Where ever we travel, if there is a church hall, that is where we head for.mmmmmmmmmm loverly jubberly :)

PS, The Church Hall on sea lane closed, but we haven't been for a while so they may be open again.

#84 Bilbraborn,

Hi, Just had a little chat with Chris (my Hubs) and we realised we have tried the church cafe on Lumley Rd in Skeggy quiet often, If i have got the right one, it is called...His Place. The people in there are always so polite, it is definitely a church run place with a title like that.

Here's another cheap easy snack (you have to be a cheese lover )

Oven proof saucers or individual small shallow dish per person

approx 2oz cheese per person, grated or thin sliced in dish

approx 1 tablespoon vinigar poured over the cheese

Either cook in hottish oven until bubbling and brown and crispy on top, or grill.

Serve with crusty bread and Lurpak

Scrape all the crispy cheese up with a fork and put on the bread.mmmmmmmmmmmmm Wallah.

Word of warning....Don't have to much, its bad for heartburn

Mind you don't burn your mouth.......Been there, Done it :P

:biggrin: If you want to know about 'Living On A Budget', then ask / get in touch with me; I've had years of experience.

PS: I quite enjoy the challenge, it brings into play my Imagination, which is a good thing; but sometimes it can be tedious, having to hold on 'til my next pension is paid into the bank.

PPS: Forgot to mention that I refuse to live on Benefits! slywink

Carni. I have been in His Place. That is the Salvation Army, but I was referring to the one in the church nearer the seafront and round the corner. There used to be one at Mablethorpe but haven't looked it up for a while.

My wife and I have a favourite charity shop which is the old co-op at Jacksdale. When we visit, we always go to the community centre by the Wharf car park. They do teas and coffees also biscuits and cakes. Have what you like and leave a donation. When we go in the place is always buzzing.

That has given me an idea. Come on all you people. Tell us about all these cheap church cafes. We can all use them. Everyone's a winner. I like flask coffee but a decent coffee bought cheaply is better.

What happened to Bonny night? It used to be 5th Nov. but now it is the 5th and the weekend either side of it.

Bonny night? I thought for a moment you were referring to Robbie Burns NIght but that's in January. Recently there was one year when Burns night fell on the same weekend as Chinese New Year, so there were lots of people eating sweet and sour haggis with chop sticks.

It can be Quite lively round here with Bonfire night starting a week before the 5th and going on or a week after. It also coincides with The Diwali celebrations, Festival Of Lights, which start Sunday 3rd to Thursday the 7th. So we have plenty of fireworks going on, for about a fortnight, no use expecting sleep until well after 11pm. Back to living on a budget...lots of nice warming Jacket Potatoes,Hot Chestnuts, Hot Dogs and Burgers, all home made for economy, don't forget the Toffee Apples and Bonfire Toffee. All much nicer and cheaper home made.

I'm glad for you that you only have the racket of fireworks from a week before to a week after 5 Nov. Down here it seems to start about mid-September and carries on sporadically until some time into the New Year. Dog goes loopy every time she hears a banger...