living on a budget

When we lived near Eastwood it seemed to be a year long thing, but out in the back of beyond/Brigadoon, it is a lot quieter :happy:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

Ah well, in the days when I lived in deepest rural Gosberton Risegate, a travelling companion who lived amongst the Cosmopolitan fleshpots of Grantham, reckoned that our street light (note the singular) was switched off (or blown out) at 7 pm, because everyone had gone to bed by then anyway. To him "the Forty Foot" was the limit of civilisation - and we lived the wrong side of it.

With all the poverty around that we keep hearing about among the ordinary working ???! people,we can expect a quieter time around Bonfire Night this year as no one should be able to afford fireworks.

With all the poverty around that we keep hearing about among the ordinary working ???! people,we can expect a quieter time around Bonfire Night this year as no one should be able to afford fireworks.

My Dog will love that.

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod brats play on the latest Xbox games!! So they will have no probs with obtaining fireworks for the duration. Cynical? Moi?

• Upvote 5

So they are poor because they can't afford the latest iphone or whatever. I'll bet they'd squeal if they had to live on 37 hours of minimum wage and then have to pay bus fares to work on top.

Free housing plus all the benefits going = much much more than what you get for working 40 hours a week!

There's one lad I am aware of, single guy, no obligations, who get's around £350 a week in benefits (including housing benefit, council tax benefits, etc) and you can often see him begging in the city.

He doesn't need that £350 a week, he needs lessons in how to budget and manage his money.

There's a lot of problems that could be solved by better means than just throwing money at them.

I've just made us some Fajitas for dinner. Two steaks off of the 'whoopsie' counter , 90p , 1 packet of seasoning , 50p, packet of 8 Deli wraps, £1.00, carton of cream 85p, half a lettuce and two tomatoes 50p.
Result
Meal for four= £3.75

(And there's some of the filling to go with the leftovers from tomorrow to make soup!.)

:biggrin: Whilst in the City the other day, I fancied something tasty for my tea; so I popped into 'Marks & Spencer's Food hall but I soon popped out, the prices in there!!

I went over to the 'Pound Shop' across the way, where I bought:

A 2 litre container of milk ..................£1

A Jar of 'Maxwell House' coffee..........£1

A big bag of unrefined brown sugar...£1

A pack of lean, middle bacon.............£1

When I reached home, I deserved a drink so I made myself a frothy coffee with the milk, 'Maxwell House' and brown sugar.

Verdict: Delicious

For Dinner I made a Bacon Casserole (added bits from the pantry) and a Rice pudding (added bits from the pantry).

Verdict: Delicious / nutritious and there was enough left over for the next day............

PS: So I got myself 'something tasty for my tea' and I bet at half the price I'd have paid at Marks & Sparks.

PPS: 'Watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves'. :biggrin: (Shall be dead by the time I'm a Millionaire - mad humour)

• Upvote 2

'Benefit scroungers' are not a recent by-product,they have been around for a long time.

I well remember in the 60's, as an apprentice on 4 quid a week, there were guys getting 3 times more and they never worked.They knew how to 'screw' the system.

Always had money to, booze,smoke,and spend their afternoons in the 'bookies'.

The difference with 'them' and us,is that we had a certain amount of pride and dignity, being brought up with a certain set of principles.

Today some people seem to think the world owes them everything, and have a real attitude, almost contempt, for the rest of society, not having the intelligence to think about where their 'benefits' come from.

Plus the fact there has never been so many 'claimants', as there are today. Again, it is the real needy people who are the ones to suffer.

I once made a claim for unemployment benefit, in the winter of 1965, (the 'building trade' came to a stop due to the severe cold),I was sent to the NAB office,Sitting there for hours in the company of 'deadbeats',I was given 3 quid, after what I would call a 'means test'.

Never did it again,I worked hard to make sure I had money put by, just in case.

• Upvote 2

What exactly are you saveing the bomb for, Colly? If you have no use for it I willl gladly take it off your hands - there are a few surplus wind turbines up here.... :)

I have worked all my life and saved my pennies. As a result I cannot get any benefits for being out of work. I have no income now that teh interest rates are at zero % so I live on my savings whilst others live on hundreds of pounds per week in handouts. It somehow seems a bit wrong.

Well you could stash your money in the mattress and claim poverty..