living on a budget

Ooh don't :( that's why I make my own, or buy the freshly made one's...or better still, make my own!

Just made a casserole out of veg that's about to go out of date & dumplings of course. And with chicken drumsticks reduced from £4 to £1,72 .. went down well, even the little'en enjoyed!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

Compo, you'll really be inspired by seeing my mum sitting on the prom at Skegness eating sandwiches, and sitting on the prom at Rhyl eating sandwiches, and sitting on the prom at Penzance eating sandwiches, and sitting on the prom at Llandudno eating sandwiches...........

I have one very interesting one. My granddad, being a Labour party Alderman on the Nottm City Council for many years was Sherriff of Nottingham in 1959. I have a short cine scene of him taking the scout salute outside the council house at the St. Georges Day Parade. You can see all the stranded trolley buses which couldn't move because of the parade. I also think there is a small scene of my uncle on his Raleigh moped going over the hump backed canal bridge on Trowell Road at Wollaton.

Quite proud of myself... And also deffinately shopping at morrisons again! 10 days worth of dinners, lots of fruit and veg, snacks, puddings, lunches, cat food... £47!

I got some cheaper cuts of meat, then again if your feeding two people their quite cheap for pork and such.

Now, I bought diced turkey. Its something iv never used, I don't think its something iv even eaten while living at my mums... But I thought there must be something nice I can do with it! Any suggestions?

I didn't buy these two, but I want someone to tell me what it's like cos every time I'm in morrisons the following make me cringe slightly - neck of lam & pork cheek.

Quite proud of myself... And also deffinately shopping at morrisons again! 10 days worth of dinners, lots of fruit and veg, snacks, puddings, lunches, cat food... £47!

I got some cheaper cuts of meat, then again if your feeding two people their quite cheap for pork and such.

Now, I bought diced turkey. Its something iv never used, I don't think its something iv even eaten while living at my mums... But I thought there must be something nice I can do with it! Any suggestions?

I didn't buy these two, but I want someone to tell me what it's like cos every time I'm in morrisons the following make me cringe slightly - neck of lam & pork cheek.

Don't know how they sell neck of lamb over there, but here they cut then through so you get roundish pieces about 2-3 inches in diameter, and an inch thick. Simmered in a pot with some onion gravy, yummy. They can be a bit messy to eat as you need to use your fingers a lot. Especially when sucking out the marrow.

Mind you I also like chicken necks gently simmered for an hour or so. Reminds me of when times were tough in the Medders. You could buy a big bag of chicken livers, necks and stomachs quite cheap. Used to clean the stomach by peeling off an inside layer. Used to make a really nice curry. Used to ask for "two pound of giblets pleeze"

Neck of lamb is presented in rings with a small hole. I allways imagined them quite grisly which puts me off a little. I asked my mum and she said she enjoys them slow cooked in a casserole. Oooer.

Need to cook them slowly. I use a pressure cooker if I'm in a hurry. Can do them in less than an hour if I do. They're not grisly at all. They are very tasty.

I asked my mum and she said she enjoys them slow cooked in a casserole. Oooer.

Couldn't think of a better way. Meat off the bone is always much tastier than slabs of steak or chicken breasts.

I noted on facebook today that the Minimum wage for "tipped worker's" in the U.S. has been kept at $2.13 for the last 21 year's.In Sterling that's One pound thirty two pence.So make sure you tipped well when in the States.

Minimum wage is for everyone RGR, not just workers who receive tips, the federal minimum wage rate is the lowest, and most states mandate higher than fed rates...God help an employer who isn't paying the minimum rate as prescribed by the state the worker is living and working in...They get fined very heavily and are ordered to pay all backpay.

I believe California has just implemented $10 an hour as minimum employers pay in that state..

Here's Fed web page listing the minimum rates state by state.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Try this, cook up some rice with turmuric. Rinse in cold water. strain and leave to dry. Meanwhile scrape and cut into tiny, and I mean tiny,cubes, One large carrot, I onion, I stick of celery, One apple, handful of grapes if available and one chilli pepper. ( I use one birds eye pepper and a bit of ginger). Mix well with the rice and set aside. Cook up some sausages and some new potato,s. When ready, cut the sausages into bite size pieces and do the new potatos into bite size pieces as well. Mix the sausages and the potato's with a good helping of Mayonnaise and serve with the rice mixture. You have hot and cold, you have sweet and sharp, you have colour and texture and the rice can be fried the next day if there is any left over. Its the best way I know to get children past six years of age, to eat vegatables. It was passed on to me by a chef in Washington D.C where I worked for a few years. ( name dropping is allowed or not?) I await your comments.

Gonna try that matt, thanks for that.

I'm dusting off the slow cooker again tomorrow for another stroganoff requested by the mr! This time with two large slabs of stewing steak, going to chop them up & slow cook them with chopped onions, then I'll whack the sauce into a pan (just a packet one) and add the meat as I can't bear the thought of milk in a sauce being slow cooked! And it'll be served with rice :)

Me and my daughter love rice, and my favorite is when I make Jamaican chicken. When the chicken is cooked, mix in all the juices that's in the dish into the rice as it all has the seasoning from the chicken etc. Give it a good mix, make sure youv cooked black eyed pea's to mix in too along with pea's and sweet corn - how my 2 year old likes it and iv become quite a fan too.

There's so much you can do with a bag of rice and a limited budget!

Just been reading a article by Author Saru Jayaraman from her new book "Behind the Kitchen door" in the Washington Spectator about a sub minimum wage of $2.13 a hour. Google (Saru Jayaraman) then check the Spectator news article.

:biggrin: I'm pleased: got myself a great bargain at Bulwell yesterday: 2 containers of milk (blue top) for 40 pence. Y'all know what I had in mind don't you? - Home Made Rice Pudding.

Well, when I reached home, I straightaways made one in my slow cooker and have to say it's truly delicious!: soft, fluffy and creamy and loads of it. thumbsup

PS: Anyone's welcome to call in and share some with me.............................

• Upvote 1

I love rice pudding! Mum used to make us one and the skin was my favourite. Might make some at the weekend.

Christine, re #165, ADORE Rice pud, but Mrs C hates the stuff so it's years since I've indulged in a bowl, so thanks for the invite, I'm about 10 minutes away so see you soon ! (Don't panic, only joking about the last bit :laugh: )

Christine, re #165, ADORE Rice pud, but Mrs C hates the stuff so it's years since I've indulged in a bowl, so thanks for the invite, I'm about 10 minutes away so see you soon ! (Don't panic, only joking about the last bit :laugh: )

Could always make yourself a individual bowl? Go on, treat yasen!

It's a good idea Pixie, but don't forget I am a man, so, where do we keep the bowls and the milk ? :unsure:

Just reminded me, I was in BnM bargains the other day and they have a set of four small oven proof dishes for serving individual portions of things. I might go get a set as they're only £2. You could make your self a rice pud in one & the lady another pud in another. They look great for little pies or pasta dishes.

Hi Bilbraborn: 'ever tried macaroni milk pudding'? I'll say Bilbraborn; love it................

My mum used to make all the milk puddings available back when I was a kid: Rice, Tapioca, Semolina, Macaroni, Ground Rice......remember 'Cremola'? My favourite was Tapioca (Frogspawn we called it).

PS: It's a shame that when I popped into Tesco yesterday to buy a bag of pudding rice, they only stocked this and semolina (dried goods).

Long live the Art of Home Made Puds unionflag .......................and Bilbraborn, I'll definately be seeking out the dried macaroni..................

Christine, re #173, as a kid the only way I thought macaroni was used was as a milk pudding, even better than rice imo. Actually used to make myself one many years ago. I was amazed when I eventually found out that macaroni was actually mainly used with savoury sauces etc, couldn't understand how you could spoil it in such a way !

To paraphrase Peter Kay, "Macaroni Cheese ???"