living on a budget

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

I want to put a shed up so the orange tree had to go but really wont miss it as we couldn't eat or give away what it produced

while I was at it I picked about 10 pomegranates before the raccoons get them, Its funny but they always remind me of Goose Fair.

But they are ten times the size we used to get in the UK.each one weighs over 500gram.

Funny thing if you buy them at the store they are almost $2 each

Maybe there were less additives to the food we ate as kids. I can never remember my mum having tins of peas, carrots,etc', only baked beans and tomatoes, on the pantry shelves.

It was a trip to the green-grocer or butcher on a daily basis, pies were made using lard, butter,not margarine.

When frying bacon, the fat was used for the fried bread.

Most folk had an allotment, they grew vegetables and fruits, when time came to harvest the stuff,there would be trading with the 'gardeners', and everyone had a share of the produce.

Needless to say the trading was done in the yard of the local pub.

Mums and grandma's spent the next two weeks cooking and preserving the fruit and veg,pickling all kinds of produce.

That all seems so long ago,never thought I would be writing about my own history:)

• Upvote 3

The freezer has mainly taken over from preserves but SWMBO still makes chutney and relish.

At this time of year the freezers (2 of them) are full with runners beans, calabrese and courgettes in cheese sauce, cauliflower the same, plus baby leeks. Then there's the home made tomato soup and pureed tomato.

In the shed theres over a hundred weight of main crop spuds and in the lean to there are strings of red and white onions and shallots.

Containers of salad leaf are just about ready to go in the greenhouse.

There's 20 odd spring cabbage plus curly kale growing ready for winter

All grown at the back of the house in containers of one sort or another.

Why pay through the nose for bland, tasteless super market junk when its so easy to grow your own.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: D'ya know I don't think there could be anything lovelier than clapping your eyes on a pile of Potatoes (Spuds) that you've grown yourself - wished I had the time to grow more organic produce apart from the fruit on my trees. :biggrin:

PS: I do love potatoes.................. :biggrin: a more versatile vegetable I don't think you could find............

Although I would not be without my freezer, mum put runner beans in rock salt, Plums and tomatoes in Kilner jars. Some apples keep better than others. Dad had a monster coxes apple tree and they were wrapped in newspaper and put in a box in the outhouse to keep. Onions pickled along with beetroot, cucumber and whatever else was in abundance. The canal side at Wollaton was full of blackberry bushes so jam was made. I still have my mums recipe for mincemeat and use it every year. I divide the jars up. Half with brandy and half without.

LOVELY JUBBLY!

PS: I do love potatoes.................. :biggrin: a more versatile vegetable I don't think you could find............

Not supposed to eat taties anymore - sad. Apparently they are a member of the nightshade family, and are not good if you have any inflammatory diseases like Osteoarthitis or similar. If one might quote:

Effect of steroid alkaloids on joint health

A second type of problem potentially related to the potato alkaloids involves damage to the joints caused by inflammation and altered mineral status. Whether alkaloids can contribute to joint damage of this kind is not clear from current levels of research. Some researchers have speculated that nightshade alkaloids can contribute to excessive loss of calcium from bone and excessive depositing of calcium in soft tissue. For this reason, these researchers have recommended elimination of nightshade foods from the meal plans of all individuals with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other joint problems like gout.

Doesn't mean I don't eat them, just means I try to keep it to minimum. Chip butties only once a fortnight. Tend to replace with sweet potatoe, which doesn't have the same problem.

:biggrin: Hi Alison, like you say: 'sad', that you have to watch your potato intake; so far, don't suffer with any of the above but will take care in the future to indulge occasionally.

PS: You've reminded me of sweet potatoes - good phytoestrogen. :biggrin:

PPS: Up super early this morning; couldn't sleep, too warm! - and it's October, crazy...........................

:biggrin: Hi Alison, like you say: 'sad', that you have to watch your potato intake; so far, don't suffer with any of the above but will take care in the future to indulge occasionally.

PS: You've reminded me of sweet potatoes - good phytoestrogen. :biggrin:

PPS: Up super early this morning; couldn't sleep, too warm! - and it's October, crazy...........................

You are probably not getting enough of the phytoestrogen then,Jackson !!!

Did you realise just how tricky the word is Jackson?

phyto reduces to phyt when the next letter is a vowel,and the Americans cannot spell oestrogen,they spell it estrogen...

and how many tons of yams you would have to eat to have a therapeutic effect?

For anyone who is using a lot of rice I would strongly recommend not buying at your customary supermarket but going to an "ethnic" food retailer. We have found Murat (at the back of the old Sneinton Market) brilliant for a wide selection of rices in larger packs and much cheaper than Sainsbury's.

For anyone who is using a lot of rice I would strongly recommend not buying at your customary supermarket but going to an "ethnic" food retailer. We have found Murat (at the back of the old Sneinton Market) brilliant for a wide selection of rices in larger packs and much cheaper than Sainsbury's.

Thanks for the info bamber I'll give them a try

Tried the recipe for the mince and onions yetserday, think it was Carni that posted it.

Very very tasty but I put too much liquid in it so next time will only put half in, thickened up ok with some cornflour though, had it with veggies and mash, enough left for today with maybe a plate of chips !

Only problem I picked the wrong day here in Vic. in oz to cook it, we had an early spring heatwave of 35c ! so the oven on for 3 hours in our RV was a bit much.

Thank goodness for airconditioners.

• Upvote 1

Glad you liked it banjo48, some times the cheap and cheerful things are the best, That's it, i definitely wont get to sleep, i'm fancying food now , Lol :) I think you just decided for me what we are having for dinner tomorrow. :)

A cheap and cheerful product Iv fallen inlove with - morrisons own body wash! They do a range that smell similar to original source. I love the lemon + lime and winter warmer. They're only a quid and they last a while

A cheap and cheerful product Iv fallen inlove with - morrisons own body wash! They do a range that smell similar to original source. I love the lemon + lime and winter warmer. They're only a quid and they last a while

Pixie, Original Source Body wash is on offer in Wilko's - £1. Just stocked up on the lemon one although I also noticed that Poundland have them as well.

• 3 years later...