living on a budget

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

The self employed thing is interesting.

I have a friend who makes a fortune. He works hard, but he does very well and he told me years ago that his accountant had advised him that he needed to put more of his cash receipts through the books, because the 'Revenue' folks aren't stupid and know what sort of businesses do a lot of 'cash' business.

So.. folks like him can no doubt stand the recent NHS hike.

But on the other side there are many self employed people really struggling.

Whatever your politics.. you need to see past the hype.

Col

On 08/03/2017 at 6:56 PM, Brew said:

Living on budget? I started out wi' 'nowt and I've still got most of it left...

Lucky bogger!!

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 9/23/2013 at 5:00 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

Well you could stash your money in the mattress and claim poverty..

Someone actually did this John. Some nice relative snitched to the authorities & he ended up in jail.... I got made redundant 2 years ago with a good payoff & the redundo dosh plus my savings means I can't claim a sausage, all I get is free scrips & a bus pass. Ah well never mind eh...

Once had one child benefit payment too many - the boggers came calling and demanded it back.  It was only a couple of quid but at that time it was a lot of money to me.

It’s disgraceful that successive governments have allowed dentistry to be privatised. We pay our contributions to get NHS treatment and end up having to pay. I’m sure doctors will soon be taking the line of their dental colleagues even though they are handsomely rewarded already.

• Like 1

I think some opticians are having to reduce their prices to meet online offers. I have my free eye test and then use the prescription with an online supplier such as Specs for Less. All the figures are on the prescription except the pupillary distance which you can easily self measure. You can take other measurements from your previous pair. No more eye-watering charges for me!

17 minutes ago, catfan said:

Then there are robbing opticians who charge rip - off prices for glasses.

Waxing strips are a rip off !

Perforation is also a rip off!

But, the real rip off is in the quiet and sneaky transfer of whole sections of the NHS to private companies whose objective is not patient care, but profit. 

Ooopss.. politics..  :ohmy:  sorry.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Tell me about specs picked mine new pair up today with all the discounts still £227 and a few pennies.

They saw you coming, (pun intended). Did they fly the optician in on a private jet ?.

Yes Gem, but your frames are not made from "unobtainium" and the Len's made from crystal from Jupiter polished on the thighs of a Hawaiian virgin I bet, unlike NBL,s.

• Like 1

I costed that spec at about £120 on line but with varifocals it’s always better to have a one to one fitting so that’s a fair price. If you’re just going for basic specs, on line they are from £20 upwards but it always depends on the frame quality. Even for top designer frames there is a considerable on line saving. You’ve got be confident about measuring your pupillary distance but instructions are supplied. It’s also very important to own a comfortable old pair from which you can take the measurements. I’ve never been disappointed and at the prices charged it’s worth a punt.