living on a budget

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

He was mine before the Indian. Small world. Good dentist though.

There was quite a lengthy topic about the Nottingham tradition, especially amongst the mining communities, a couple of years back Gem. It was Christmas Day breakfast of pork pie and pickles, so if you are wanting to give your hubby a good old fashioned Christmas brekkie, all you need apart from the pie is a good jar of pickled onions!

Enjoy, as they say!

• Like 1

But great with a joint of beef, I can remember, as a lad, being sent to central market on a Saturday to fetch some freshly made horseradish ready to go with our joint on Sunday.

My perfect pork pie breakfast would be a good pie, a nice crispy pickled onion and maybe a slice of ham off the bone with a chunk of crusty bread slathered in real butter !

Can't stand mustard, just the smell turns my stomach !  maybe a bit of Branston on the side.

My wife came in the other day and said she had got me  a treat, it was a medium pork pie from a new manufacturer here, it really looked the part but was I wrong,  yuk it was overpowered with thyme and the meat was very hard and unpalatable.

How I long for a real pork pie from Pork Farms or Bonds maybe.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Surely it's just the dried stuff with water added. I you want something to make your eyes water, try freshly grated horseradish - perhaps not the ideal accompaniment to pork pie though!

Colmans ready made mustard is fine.  There was a flurry of complaints a couple of years back when they seemed to change the recipe so that it was more like a mousse than a paste, but it seems to have returned to form now. I mostly only use it as an ingredient in my cheese sauce, for Cauliflower.

I used to get 'nominated' to dig up a bit of Horseradish Root from the garden when I was young.  As I recall it was grated up and mixed with a bit of cream or the top of the milk.. with maybe vinegar too?  Eitherway, it was a bit of a lottery.. it could be mild but tasty, or hot and vicious..  Always a great accompiniment to beef though.  I also like  spot of Horseradish with steaks, or with simple mince and spuds.

Pork Pies?  I've had numerous arguments in this neck of the woods.  bear in mind that I live very close to Wigan, the supposed pie capital of Britain.  They churn out pork pies that have 'meat' in them which is PINK!!!

Philistines.... :angry:

• Like 1

Our local Heron store has tins of Baxters soup as well as Heinz at very low prices. The Heinz have 99p printed on the label and they sell them at 65 p. The Baxters they sell at 50p. Tesco sell the very same tins at £1.10 - 60p more!. I tried the Lentil and Bacon - wow! absolutely gorgeous. Went and bought some more before they sold out.

• Like 1

Baxters soups are good.  Their 'Healthy Choices' range are excellent but haven't seen them for a while..

2 hours ago, banjo48 said:

How I long for a real pork pie from Pork Farms or Bonds maybe.

Have you tried down pork pie alley in Melton mowbrey they do some great pies.

^^^^^^^^^Even Pork Farms rigged it for competition purposes. All their pork pies, black puddings and salami was made by Robin Soar in a very small factory at the back of the shop on Mansfield road Sherwood. He got the tin tack when they found out he was selling on the QT as well as making. Still I had some luverly grub while it lasted.