living on a budget

So then, Robin made prize winning pork pies but let pork farms take the credit, when he could have turned himself into a multi millionaire. Or pork farms could have paid Robin a tidy sum and bought the recipe and won the prizes legitimately. Where did it go wrong ? Or have I missed something?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She`ll go bleddy bonkers when she get home from work, recipe said put the casserole in 180 degrees, now its all over the bottom of the oven.

There was no real problem with obesity when I was a kid. My mum baked nearly every day - cakes, bread - the lot. By todays standards we should have been as fat as little pigs. But no. We cycled or

Yes but haven't you noticed although a certain faction of the "bad off" can't afford decent food etc they can afford fags, booze and sky tv on 60" 3D top of the range screens while their badly shod br

You've missed something obviously, he worked for Pork Farms they owned the shop and factory. He got very well paid for what he did, which left him plenty of time to follow his sports which was his passion, it seem to us he was always either up the shoot, fly fishing or what ever.

Pork Farms even sent him over to France to take part with the Chevaliers du Goute-Boudin in their competitions but I don't know whether he did any good or not but his boudin-nior was very good.

^^^^^^^I do regularly, had one of their beef pies for tea this week. We work all the time in and around Sutton so its no pain for us to drop in to Nuncargate on the way back. The do great hot pork cobs too.

And I certainly wouldn't class Pork Farms pies as good in ant circumstance's, but like I have pointed out Robins pies were very different.

Robbs Butchers of Newark..... Superbly morish.

Not frugal, tight, or a skinflint by any stretch of the imagination, but I never buy bags of logs for the chiminea from garden centres or other retail outlets. I've seen some perfectly formed designer logs for £5.99 for a small net bag. What an utter joke and a rip off. 

When residing at Saxondale, I exchanged duck and hen eggs for scrap pallet blocks for my multi fuel stove. 

Nowadays with only the chiminea, I constantly collect scrap timber from country walks, coastal visits, and anywhere else that takes my fancy. If it's burnable, then ill take it. Although I've currently got two plastic coal bunkers full, and several compost bags full in the shed. 

Roll on spring so I can use them !

I am rather lucky, FLY2, in that I have permission to take any windfalls from the conifer wood across the road.  This morning I went over and cut up a whole tree that fell during Storm Caroline a couple of weeks ago.  Tomorrow I am going back over to cut down a dead but standing tree, before it falls on the railway adjacent to where it stands..

• Upvote 1

All this talk of Pork Pies and mustard brought to mind a chap called Carl Brindley, with whom I served some time in the RAF.  At the local pub he would go in every night, buy a pork pie and sit with the pie and jar of Colman's mustard, spreading the mustard on the pie like sandwich spread.  Eventually, the landlord barred him from having mustard, saying that he couldn't afford to provide a whole jar of mustard for a single pie!  Unphased, Carl subsequently took in his own mustard :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1