Buying in the1960s

We bought a Polaroid Camera,and thought it was great to have almost instant photo's, the photo's were a bit small though, we still have them.

A washing machine without a mangle, a twin tub with a spin drier.

Pkt calculator all you tap in was + × ÷ -

I think they were 1970s, rather than 1960s - the first pocket calculator in the whole world wasn't introduced until 1970. There were electric calculators before then, but only large cumbersome ones for office use.

45's and E.P's, mini dresses/skirts, tons of wool to knit my own clothes, an all-inclusive package holiday to Lloret, 2 weeks for 18 guineas, then late 60's a twin tub washer and everything to set up a home [all cash of course, if you couldn't afford it, you went without till you'd saved up]

• Upvote 1

1. Melody Maker & New Musical Express

2. Saturday Morning at the Metropole

3. All those Bubble Gum packets with free cards like: Batman, American Civil war and The Beatles.

Oh to be young!

Mohair suits (Burtons 2 for £30??) bottle green & blue, c/w Flapped pockets inc' fag butt pocket,15" centre vent,12 buttons up the arms & parallel trousers, Wranglers (Jeffs), Reefer Jacket (Wakefields), Desert Boots, target motif tops, Chelsea boots, Levi Sta-pressed trousers, Ben Shermans..................... :biggrin:

Loon pants, afghan coat, and cheese cloth shirts, some of the things I brought ,or was given in the late 60s, the coat came from a shop down Derby road opposite the old BBC building.

I must have looked a right prat, but there again lots of others were similarly dressed..............

• Upvote 2

+ pantygirdle for ladies who needed to look slimmer....................not suggesting you were one of those Carni...............

Loon pants, afghan coat, and cheese cloth shirts, some of the things I brought ,or was given in the late 60s, the coat came from a shop down Derby road opposite the old BBC building.

I must have looked a right prat, but there again lots of others were similarly dressed..............

Meltonstilton.........................we looked the dogs bollocks mate................................fashions changed so quickly it was hard to keep up

• Upvote 2

I'd forgotten about stockings and suspender belts, it was quite a while before tights came into fashion, and even then, they were quite thick, not sheer like the stockings.

Meltonstilton.........................we looked the dogs bollocks mate................................fashions changed so quickly it was hard to keep up

And the coat stank like them when it was wet...

• Upvote 1

And to keep those behives in place, a bottle of lacquer that you'd bought a refill for, for about a bob. Cut the end off the refill and put in your bottle that you then squeezed. No aerosols in the olden days!

One brand i remember was Pompadour lacquer, and Ponds, Astral and Nivea face creams, there were others but not in my price range.String bags that got bigger with the amount of shopping.

For the men....String Vests, Cuban Heels, Old Spice,

1965 Vespa Sportiqe,complete with all the carriers,crash bars,fly screen,et'all,119 quid,17 quid deposit and 17/6d a fortnight repayment.9 quid to have the 'bubbles'and front mudguard chromed,at Lenton Electro Platers.

A gallon of 2 stroke,3/1d.

Wages as an apprentice,just over a fiver a week.

That was really 'living on a budget'.

• Upvote 1

3. All those Bubble Gum packets with free cards like: Batman, American Civil war and The Beatles.

Oh to be young!

Blimey, that takes me back to Westdale junior school, when we spent a relative fortune on those Civil War cards to try to get the ones with the most blood and guts on show.

1962, my first motorbike - a Norton Jubilee 250cc twin. Blue and white fairings. I got her up to 100mph on the road to Radcliffe-on-Trent/Newton. Mind you that was downhill with the wind behind me. ;)

NortonJub.jpg

Note: That's Summers Street in the Medders in the background.