Buying in the1960s

1969 was a big year for me,got my Ontario driving Licence.Had a great deal on a Pontiac Parisenne from a friend of my dads and the wife was expecting a new baby.Things seemed alot easier back then.8406106529_155a17fcdb_o.jpg

Vespa 125cc for £60 - from Dawsons on HP

Diamond engagement ring in 1965 - sold the Vespa to buy it! How's that for true love?

Wimpey semi-det in Ruddington 1968

Second hand Austin seven for £140

I'm beginning to feel young with the talk of cars and motorbikes. In the first half of the 60s the only transport I was buying were Dinky, Corgi and Matchbox cars.

1st half of the sixties i was still a twinkle in my dads eye

1. Melody Maker & New Musical Express

2. Saturday Morning at the Metropole

3. All those Bubble Gum packets with free cards like: Batman, American Civil war and The Beatles.

Oh to be young!

Metropole, thats a blast from the past. as a kid we lived up Calverton Road next door to Richard Bonnington School and from my bedroom window i could see that big Metropole neon sign light up the sky. First film I saw there was Those Magnificent Men in Thier Flying Machines probably a 1972 repeat/re-run

Grey pinstripe (Italian?) suit with gunmetal silver winkelpickers with cuban heels. Bought from Johnsons menswear in Denman Street.

45s and LPs from Papworths on ALfreton Road.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd forgotten about stockings and suspender belts, it was quite a while before tights came into fashion, and even then, they were quite thick, not sheer like the stockings.

I remember tights with beatles on them wish I still had them, we also had a motorbike if you can call it that it was a Bantum 125 any one would have thought we had a 2000cc when we went out on it. We changed it for a car (mini) later as when my other half was going to work (plessey) traveling down university boulevard his back tyre burst tut tut it made him and his friend late for work but at least they got their in one piece.
  • 1 month later...

One of the first things I bought with the money earned from working on me paper rounds, chopping wood for business under the viaducts (Dave), Heasons, and the Grove cinema, was a wind-up record players.

I got it from Bridgway Hall Methodist Hall jumble sale, but it was not cheap, as so many folk wanted to buy it, the held an auction, and I to up to 5/11d!

I gleefully got home with it, and then started to save up again to buy a record to play on it. Huh... What a Wally!

• 4 years later...

NME was brilliant throughout the 60's and 70's, but then became too 'pop' orientated. I ceased having it, but continued with Melody Maker for many years , which I'd also had from the 60's. 

The NME was superb at sponsoring the National Jazz & Blues Festivals throughout the 60's. I saw acts, groups, singers and bands that I couldn't hope to see in a year of normal gigging. Fantastic memories !