Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

View the whole film here for free and for nothing !

http://viooz.co/movies/9408-saturday-night-and-sunday-morning-1960.html

Ignore the 'pop up' that tells you that you need a special player to watch it on, it's starts automatically after a few seconds.

• Upvote 4

When Alan Sillitoe passed away in 2010 I bought DVD's of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Tend to watch them when feeling a little nostalgic. I know the bulk of neither was filmed in Nottingham, but they do seem to reflect that "ambience".

My BiL worked down Clifton Pit, and once took me to a pub up Radford way frequented by his mates from pit. Talk about rough, they had a couple of inches of sawdust on the floors, and many of it's patrons looked as though they had come straight from the cage at the pithead. This was most probably in 1960. It looked very similar to the miners pub in Saturday Night.....

If only. Turn seventy at the end of this year, and it was fifty years ago love. Only went there once, and that was on the back of my BiL's scooter.

When Alan Sillitoe passed away in 2010 I bought DVD's of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Tend to watch them when feeling a little nostalgic. I know the bulk of neither was filmed in Nottingham, but they do seem to reflect that "ambience".

Certainly the bulk of 'Saturday Night' was filmed in Nottingham, which is why it is good with the ambience. There are several threads on Nottstalgia discussing that subject, as well as the locations of the few 'foreign' scenes.

The pub where Albert Finney falls down the stairs is/was the White Horse on Ilkeston Road. The building is still there but it's now a cafe. The other pub in the film - where he gets beaten up - is in London.

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly the bulk of 'Saturday Night' was filmed in Nottingham, which is why it is good with the ambience. There are several threads on Nottstalgia discussing that subject, as well as the locations of the few 'foreign' scenes.

The pub where Albert Finney falls down the stairs is/was the White Horse on Ilkeston Road. The building is still there but it's now a cafe. The other pub in the film - where he gets beaten up - is in London.

I don't recall him getting beaten up in a pub, surely it was on a piece of derelict land by the two squaddies?

That's the way I remember it too Craig.

I don't recall him getting beaten up in a pub, surely it was on a piece of derelict land by the two squaddies?

Know what you mean. I've just look at the DVD again to check what I was thinking of, and I seem to have merged a few incidents into one.

He gets beaten up on the piece of waste ground, which happens after he's come out of a pub and walked/stumbled along the street for a few yards. He'd been in the pub after he ran away from the fair where the squaddies saw him and went after him.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that, they were fascinating!

Not being a native of Nottingham but one scene I recognised right from the first time I saw the film as a lad was where Arthur runs down Derby Road to jump on a bus going into town.

I always used to think, if you're half way down Derby Road (when it was 2 way) it wouldn't be worth getting on a bus because you'd most likely be getting off at Mount Street or Old Market Square anyway!

But of course it was just dramatic licence!

Not being a native of Nottingham but one scene I recognised right from the first time I saw the film as a lad was where Arthur runs down Derby Road to jump on a bus going into town.

The implication is that he's walked out of the house on Beaconsfield Terrace and run down the road for the bus. That is actually a distance of about 1 and half miles !

Fast-forward to about 5.25 for your scene http://youtu.be/M7dXCRM6EOM

As has been mentioned in other threads, there is quite a bit of artistic licence in the film because some of it was shot in London, pretending to be Nottingham.

Well, that could be done - but it would take several episodes to accomplish!

• Upvote 1

My mum was brought up on Salisbury Street and was thrilled to bits when they filmed round there. My granma & Grandad were still living on Salisbury Street at that time. A lot of my life was in Radford when I was young although I lived in Bilborough. I had an aunt who lived on Bright Street next to the Raleigh wall, and I had an aunt & uncle who lived on Denman Street, although I swear my uncle lived more in the Dover Castle.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

She seems to still be working, at least until fairly recently. She appeared in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine made in 2008 called 'Eva's Back in Town" which can be found on the net if you're prepared to take a chance with various downloading-film channels.

Yes Cliff, that episode was on fairly recently. She still looks good.