and this is why, i will forever hate drugs.

After reading the above I realise just how lucky I am, I still have my lovely wife, my son 38 now is a well rounded man.

Yes both my parents are dead, dad died after a short illness at 82, mum the same at 93, both had a good and long life so my grief was tempered.

Good luck in your new life Pixie I am sure you are doing the right thing, after all neither your friend or your father would want you to be so sad.

Colin

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't do drugs kids, just say no   

We lost our eldest daughter 12 years ago in a car accident, she was 22 years old. After the shock of what had happened, I became angry, not at one thing in particular, just angry. Our daughter had ju

I don't need to google about drug cartels in Mexico. I'm basing my view on personal experience having seen some of my personal heroes flush their talent down the drain and even die. I've heard all a

My sister found this poem by Christina Rosetti, just after our mum died. We printed it on the back of the order of service for her funeral. It takes a bit of thinking about - but worth it.

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

• Upvote 1

Whenever I hear people talking about the legalisation of drugs, I despair at their total nievety. The most charitable thing I can say is that they really haven't thought it through.

What kind of message would that send out? It's OK to become an addict ?

Dependence on drugs is an acceptable lifestyle choice?

Don't worry about when you are totally messed up because the NHS will pick up the pieces.

The logic of their argument is that drugs haven't been eradicated, so let's just legalise them.

The fact is: we're never going to get rid of drugs - I think everybody knows that. But you have to do what you can to limit their destructive effect.

One might equally say; you're never going to stop burglary. So let's not bother prosecuting burglars ? (!)

I've spent 36 years of my life in the music business and seen some pretty messed up people in my time.

Drugs may seem like fun to begin with, but they are insidious. They wear you down physically and mentally.

Most people, having dabbled, have the good sense to drop them early on, but a lot of people don't.

Just one final thing. The laws are there not just to stop people taking drugs, but to protect the people who don't.

Would you feel safe with a train driver smoking dope? Cars ploughing into people because the driver was on something.

Most of the shoplifting and petty crime on our streets is down to people funding their habits.

Legalisation isn't going to stop any of that.

Drugs are not cool.

• Upvote 2

Barclaycon. Excellent. That more or less says it all. Shame on all celebrities who try to make drug taking look cool. Shame on politicians who think they look cool telling folk almost with pride that they used to smoke grass. My friend Theresa didn't look cool after drugs killed her. little Karen did not look cool when she was born addicted to heroin. Women desperately trying to sell their bodies for a fix certainly DO NOT look cool.

• Upvote 1

I hate to say this, but the "war on drugs" is lost, and has been for many years...I also hate to say this too, the only way I see of reducing the amount of drug use, is legalize them..

For one thing, by legalizing narcotics, you'll automatically reduce the cost of them, killing the drug cartels.

Illegal drugs don't just cost the lives of addicts, do a Google of what is happening in Mexico and other south American countries. Many thousands die in Mexico in the most horrific way when they accidentally get in the way of cartels, there are shootouts daily between rival cartels, innocent people and children are caught between them and die, Police, Judges, Mayors and politicians who dare take on the cartels wind up dead!!

I'd hazard a guess the countries supplying the UK are going the same way!

Meth is probably the worst drug, problem is, it's so easy and cheap to make, it is highly addictive, and once on it, virtually impossible to get off it. It literally puts years on the addicts, 28 year olds after months of using it look like they are in their 50's!!

I watched a documentary made by an ex police officer who got hooked on the crap, he got off it, but still says he's an addict, even though he is "clean". He says it's a daily battle to keep away from Meth, he also shows what the drug "industry" is, what drugs do to a person, how they fuel their habit...He made the video to show to school kids to help prevent them going down the same route he went.

Prohibition was tried once, it didn't work then, in fact the US mafia was born through prohibition, and if the truth is known is still profiting from the drug prohibition.

Think back, if you are a smoker of tobacco, when did you start, my guess is the same time I did, around 14yrs of age, why did you start?? It was illegal, it was wrong, and it felt clamorous... I kicked the habit nearly 40 years ago now, but I doubt very much I'd even have tried it, had ciggies been legal to underage people.

Didn't you get a kick out of trying to buy a pint in a pub before you were 18?? I did...

So, how many kids would even try drugs if they were 100% legal??? Probably a lot less than do now.

Sure, there will always be those that do wreck their lives by using drugs, that happened pre drug law days, you will never stop people doing what THEY want to do.

As much as I hate drugs, there's no way I will be able to stop anyone trying them or dealing them, it's a lost cause..

I do feel that if they were all legalized that a lot of the problems will disappear in time...BUT, it will need lots of education in schools and collages too.

Explain why barclaycon, the war on drugs was lost years back, the police cannot get a handle on it, the FBI has admitted it's a lost cause..

Prohibition of alcohol was one big waste of time that cost law enforcement millions during its time...Cities reported more drunkeness after prohibition than pre prohibition.

Each year more and more drugs are seized at borders, but the supply never seems to dry up.

Afghanistan once the "capital" of opium production is now the leading worlds producer of opium, which is steadily growing in use again...

Drug seizures are now measure in the tonnes instead of kilos these days, but no street shortages recorded by the authorities.

As much as I'm against recreational drugs including marijuana, I see no alternative, combined with a massive education program on the dangers of drug use and addiction for school kids as part of their education.

Prohibition of drugs has been around for many years now and is NOT working...

There is no 'War on Drugs'.

Everybody knows that you will never eradicate drugs.

But that doesn't mean you just give up and let everything go to shit.

What you are suggesting is a recipe for chaos.

Half the population as zombies. Government participating in the supply and addiction of people?

NHS swamped with drug addled victims......

And do you seriously think that drug dealers will register with the inland revenue?

It's almost too horrible to contemplate.

And comparing herion, meth and the like with a pint of beer...... come on!

• Upvote 1

On a trip to New York city a couple of years ago, my wife and I took a stroll round Central Park.

We saw kids, no more than 10 years old selling,'ready rolled joints, a dollar each'.

Most of their sales were to middle aged tourists.

I got to chatting to a cop and mentioned what we had seen."Better them selling a few joints to the tourists,than shooting and robbing them".

So goes the war on drugs. A complete waste of time, money, and man-power.

There is no point in arguing over drugs. It's a lost cause already. It already costs the NHS and government funded charities so much money to help people, who half of which go strait back to square one.

A lot of homeless turn to drugs such as heroin purely because they think it 'helps' with sleeping on the streets, it blocks the feeling of cold and helps you fall into a deep sleep. And some don't even have the intentions of being an adict.

My dad got help and I'm proud to say he did kick the a## of his demon, but it came back unfortunately and he was back where he started. Although I'm happy he never caused anyone harm for his addiction and his money was raised in an honest way through labouring (gardening, litter picking, big issue etc) he was dead against mugging people or shop lifting.

While he battled his own demons he helped his partner battle hers, she was a young girl, a few years younger than himself and unfortunately it was him who found her dead after a dose of heroin while she was very poorly herself. That was 4 weeks before he, himself passed on.

I hate drugs with a passion I really do & I hope to god my daughter doesn't even so much as dabble in the odd smoke of weed, because it has to start somewhere. Drugs take a grip of even the best of people and it's such a shameful waste of a life, especially when that person is a good person or a talented person.

One of the biggest drug problems here in Florida,is young teenagers using prescribed drugs. Belonging to their parents or grandparents.

So easy for them to check out the drugs on the Internet, regarding the effects, and side effects.

The kids in class are 'half baked' on grandmas cancer medication, and the authorities say the teachers are not doing their jobs properly.

Shameful waste of lives it is too Pixie, just look at the music business as barclaycon has mentioned. It has really pi55ed me off over the years the talent we have lost. Paul Kossoff, Jim Morrisson, Phil Lynott, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon. The American guitarist Eddie Shaver tried heroin once and it killed him. At the end of the day, nobody is forced to take drugs, they make the decision themselves and everyone these days knows the consequences, so don't even try it once.

• Upvote 2

The thing being, what is the answer????? The war on drugs is lost, heroin is nothing at side of Meth, there is also a Russian drug based on Heroin that is far worse and is a killer, no ifs and buts it kills..So far it hasn't turned up on America's shores yet, but is in Europe.

Saying we should all become addicts is kind of silly, I have NEVER tried any illegal drugs, including "grass", done tobacco, done alcohol and some antibiotics prescribed by a "legal drug dealer" AKA Doctor.

Drugs have been around for well over a thousand years, the problem is, there are more modern drugs that are so highly addictive, it's virtually impossible to "kick the habit"

Most drug addicts start their habit because of "glamour" cocaine being one, it's illegal so lets try it!

Some do it because their B/F or G/F encourages them to use it, others through despair.

There's some very good videos on the subject, all the experts are lost as to what would be the best actions as the prohibition one is an outright total failure.

Penalties over here are pretty stiff for dealing and manufacture of drugs...Meths manufacture is highly dangerous, ie explosive, plus the danger to everyone around a "Meth Lab" from toxic waste.

De-criminalization is the only way, registration of addicts with regular checkups, government supplied drugs etc cuts out the home manufacture, criminal dealers, large profits on human suffering...Could also reduce the costs on our over burdoned health care systems...

Another benefit would be reduced crime, ie addicts would no longer need to break into your house and steal your property to fuel their addiction.

None of that criminal behaviour would stop after legalisation.

There is now a kind of creeping liberalisation whereby more and more previously 'unacceptable' behaviour is becoming acceptable.

That's when society begins to break down.

Police saying that's there's nothing they can do about it.

Idiotic decisions by people like Blunkett to go soft on cannabis - calling it Class C when modern day skunk is more like Class A (unlike the 'jazz woodbines' that he probably smoked at university).

That whole shambles resulted in a massive increase in kids using dope and in Police not bothering to do anything about it.

Pixie's loss is all too common these days, I'm sorry to say.

And your 'solution' is to enable people even more?

• Upvote 1

The war on all crime is lost in this country. We would not legalise murder or rape. None of it will stop happening. Dealers get too much of an easy time of it. I vote to keep it illegal. But make dealing a bigger crime with a very harsh punishment. (beheading perhaps). Sorry. I still think about what happened forty years later. I think legalising would be like telling my friend Theresa " your life was worth Jack S--t". No way.

barclaycon, it wasn't that long back heroin etc WERE legal, irony was just a few used the drugs, so it isn't like it was never illegal like rape and murder..I'd hazard a guess they made illicit drugs illegal to protect people from themselves.

Making it a capital offense to deal in drugs would have a negative effect, as a dealer you'd have nothing to lose in killing people who tried to "snitch" on you, it would lead to more drug dealers carrying arms, where at the moment they climb under rocks.

Like I have said, do a Google on drug cartels in Mexico to see how bad it has become.

I see Switzerland has taken over drug dealing with conditions and they claim the crime rate has dropped with users, they also claim that users are on rehab and finding they are starting to join the working populace again..

It's a difficult situation, but it's obvious we are traveling down the wrong road and need to alter our attitudes towards it, or it's just going to get many times worse, and the situation is getting worse!

I have never taken drugs and never will.. I am even iffy about prescription drugs

.. I can remember when living in a commune for a short time in the early 1970s, seeing some folk who were really into drugs, almost once a month, one or two of them were rushed to hospital with an overdose, and when they returned the withdrawal they had was terrible to see.

After I left the commune, I heard one of the drug users, killed himself, because he thought he had wings, and jumped off a bridge trying to fly, a sad loss because he was before his time and into wind power even then, (we built wind turbines together, using old cat alternators) and if he was alive today he would be in his element

The commune is still going and since the 1980s have had a strict no drugs policy,,,

• Upvote 3

I don't need to google about drug cartels in Mexico.

I'm basing my view on personal experience having seen some of my personal heroes flush their talent down the drain and even die.

I've heard all about 'experiments' in places like Portugal and the semi-legalisation of cannabis in Holland.

It doesn't tell the whole story.

The handing out of free syringes in Portugal didn't lessen the problem, and the 'brown cafe' situation in places like Amsterdam became so serious that it had to be scaled back.

Drug use will only be lessened by exposing it for what it is; a complete folly.

A way of messing up your mind and body and paying somebody for the privelege.

I've never seen a heavy drug user end up having a great life.

To see drugs glamourised and made to look cool I find sickening, and your assertion that allowing people to do as much as they want will solve the problem I find astonishing.

• Upvote 3

Same here MS, never even fancied trying them.

An old mate of mine who passed on a couple of years back was a hippy in SF in his youth before being drafted into the army.

He'd be talking away, all of a sudden would stop, he looked like he was in a trance, after five minutes or so, he'd snap out of it....LSD flashbacks.

How he managed to drive a car safely or even fly a plane beats me, but he did..

Good point about prescription drugs Melton.

The late great guitarist Rory Gallagher, although a very heavy drinker, survived a liver transplant but died at 48 of complications brought on by a reliance on prescription drugs authorised by several doctors for a multitude of symptoms, some counteracting the effectiveness of others, thereby negating any benefits achieved .

"People who are addicted to drugs aren't bad people or weak-willed," . "They have a disease in their brain that they were either born with or formed during early life that makes them susceptible to using substances in excess."

Drug addiction, a disease of the brain
Every year, the abuse of illegal drugs and alcohol contributes to the death of more than 100,000 people in the U.S., according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
"Drug addiction is the disease of the brain," Ersche said. "It's not a lifestyle choice. It falls in the same category as other psychiatric disorders that are serious and have a basis in the brain."

Previous studies have shown that genes play a role in predisposing people to drug abuse.

While brain abnormalities certainly play a role in addictive personalities, people's life experiences and environment play a part as well.

I was listening to a talk by Baroness Susan Greenfield (Expert on Human Mind and researcher),who discussed how the same defect in the brain can manifest as gambling addiction,alcohol and nicotine addiction etc.

The problem seems to be to prevent those without the defect becoming addicts,and to treat those with a genuine brain defect before they kill themselves,or damage themselves beyond repair.

Good point about prescription drugs Melton.

The late great guitarist Rory Gallagher, although a very heavy drinker, survived a liver transplant but died at 48 of complications brought on by a reliance on prescription drugs authorised by several doctors for a multitude of symptoms, some counteracting the effectiveness of others, thereby negating any benefits achieved .

Similar to Jimmy Greaves,but From 1972 Greaves battled a well-documented alcohol problem, finally quitting drinking on 28 February 1978.

So although both addicted to alcohol,one was successfully treated,the other not.