and this is why, i will forever hate drugs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't do drugs kids, just say no   

We lost our eldest daughter 12 years ago in a car accident, she was 22 years old. After the shock of what had happened, I became angry, not at one thing in particular, just angry. Our daughter had ju

I don't need to google about drug cartels in Mexico. I'm basing my view on personal experience having seen some of my personal heroes flush their talent down the drain and even die. I've heard all a

Don't try and be funny Stan. This is a serious subject. I was just saying that I'm not convinced that drug addiction is a disease of the brain. Are you trying to tell us that so many people in the music industry are afflicted with the same disorder ?

I assure you basford red, I would NEVER joke about such a serious matter. What I have written is proven research.

I suggest you read again :
"While brain abnormalities certainly play a role in addictive personalities, people's life experiences and environment play a part as well."

So it is the latter part of the sentence that is important.

It is not worth falling out about. Whatever it is that causes people to take drugs, the guys that get you on them for their own gain should be very severely punished. Kids like Margaret who were lured into thinking it was trendy and OK. Kids like Theresa who looked up to her sister and thought it was OK because of that. kids whose lives are already f-----d up because of abuse at home. Dealers know who and how to target.

What about dangerous industries. On the railway they had zero tolerance but I don't think it was checked properly. Imagine having a person driving your bus or train or flying your plane who are regular users. It is not right to say these people only affect themselves. Every time they get in a car to drive they are putting others at risk. Every time they start operating machinery at work they are putting others at risk.

Drugs are illegal for, among other things, the above reasons. Remember, they cannot spot check like alcohol. A blood or urine test is necessary. I have worked in dangerous jobs with users and it terrified the hell out of me. And do you know what? The management did not give a s''t.

Please. Members dont need to fall out over the subject, it's a touchy subject which most of us all have an opinion onwhich is rightly so. But please remember what this thread was originally about.

Stan is an expert on the human body, it was his occupation, whether you're not convinced or not, Stan carries years of learning and experience..

That explains why a person gets addicted etc Stan, but how do we control the problem.

I was also addicted to nicotine and stopped smoking overnight never to go back to it, so again I like you're explanation.

I've not removed any posts in probably over a year now...

You can ask Mick, he has full logs of all posts removed, who removed them etc etc.

Can they be restored?

No idea, Mick did warn the later posts could well be lost during the site migration.

Stan, sorry to keep pursuing this, but I still think that being weak willed, gullible and impressionable have a lot to do with people starting to take drugs.

Let's just return to the music industry. Are you trying to tell me that most members of The Rolling Stones, Cream, Elton John, The Pretenders, The Allman Brothers,Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and Fleetwood Mac all suffer from the same mental disorder, because I just can't imagine it possible. I have read numerous books about the lives and times of countless musicians from the late 50's until the present day, and in most cases they cite the music industry as promoting drug taking in order to manipulate them.

This has been rife since the days in the mid 50's when Jazz musicians had full time jobs, and popped a few pills to stay awake longer, to the days of 60's & 70's groups which were forced to partake in endless touring to keep the management happy.

I heard Gregg Allman recall that in their first year, the Brothers did over 300 shows, Joe Cocker undertook the "Mad Dogs& Englishmen" tour after already completing 18 months on the road. Fleetwood Mac, World Tour and Tusk Tour 18 months+ .

They all started out with a bit of weed then pills to stay awake, pills to unwind until it reached the stage where lines of coke were readily available supplied by the industry to keep them going. Their apparent lack of willpower meant that they indulged wholeheartedly .

There are many who steadfastly refuse the offers, but there are also many who partook in drug taking because their mates did it, and it was easily available.

As I said Stan, sorry to keep on. I've been a follower of Rock and Blues music since the late 50's when I first saw Lonnie Donegan and have seen nearly every top group since then and read countless memoirs of their lives.

I'm not saying you're wrong as you are a noted authority on the human body as someone posted earlier, but what I have stated here is fact.

I'm not entirely convinced of global warming either, but that's another story. Just joking !!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ayup,firstly I do not claim to be an expert on the brain or human body. I know a lot about a little(like most experts!),Now basford red, the following sentence should clarify things for you.

While brain abnormalities certainly play a role in addictive personalities, people's life experiences and environment play a part as well

1.Brain abnormalities exist and play a role in addictive personality.

2.The second part is what we are BOTH on about. `life experiences,environment ,etc is the cause of the majority of the problem as you and I agree.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Stan, this is a horrible subject to discuss and my sympathies go out to Pixie and all others whose lives have been affected by drugs. I've never indulged even though I've been to concerts and Rock Festivals. I always wanted to be in control of my actions. I stopped smoking 25 years ago, and rarely drink since ceasing to go and watch Nottingham Forest several years ago.

Cheers.

Can they be restored?

NO

A site back up for transfer had already been taken as warned of in the thread about the move.

The alternative was closing the site for 24-48 hours and no one being able to read.

Anything posted, any PMs or new member registrations remain on the old hosting, and will be deleted when that hosting expires in a few days.

I am still unable to read the new site directly, only via a proxy.

I think we should all calm down on this drug business. It is easy to attack users as being idiots, but the people I knew were otherwise good people. They were just vulnerable. People get hooked for a variety of reasons and even deal to feed their habit.

However.

There are greedy evil b------s out there whose prime purpose is to target vulnerable people, get them hooked and use them as a cash cow. I would torture these b------s and then execute them. They are the scum who are dealing out the misery. They don't care about young people dying in an undignified way, or girls selling their tortured bodies, or householders who are robbed by junkies needing a fix, or people like lovely Pixie who end up feeling pain and guilt over a loved one.

Also.

Any celebrity who promotes the use of drugs, any Minister who proudly admits he used drugs and shrugs a 'so what' into it all. They should be taken straight out of the public domain and punished. Each time anyone in any sort of power says it is OK puts another vulnerable kid on the road to oblivion.

I give not a hoot about the science of all this. Young and vulnerable people with low self esteem need protecting from this kind of scum.

• Upvote 2

Whatever is debated or discussed on the subject of drugs, in my humble opinion it boils down to, 'you make a choice and you take a chance'.

Most of the older members have seen the affects of drugs on some person they knew.Some people started by smoking weed, and then tried a more exiting drug, amphetamine was widely used in the late 60's,and then a progression to cocaine and heroin. I recall LSD made an impact around 1970/71,within the 'hippy' culture, this was a devastating drug to many who used it.

It is not just the dealers in dope, we have to get to the source, the manufacturers.

Here in the States there are 'medical marijuana' stores, a load of B------T, but I see the spread of these shops into 6 states,and 8 more states are debating the issue.

So how do you stop the spread of illicit drugs, when this kind of crap is going down, backed by politicians?

I think Oregon made a dent in the Meth labs and sales by just passing a law that all over the counter cold medicines were to be removed from the shelves and put out of reach, and must be asked for, they use tracking numbers now via purchasers ID's..No more than a couple of sales per person.

I believe they were discussing passing a law that prohibited over the counter medicines containing the chemical needed to make Meth... This caused a stink with big Pharma who make millions out of these medicines, but there seems another alternative to the chemical they make Meth from that can be added instead....

From what I read, Meth is the drug of choice in it's many variants across the US and Canada, maybe because it's so easy to make, cheap to make, cheap to buy and gives the desired high.....BUT deadly, virtually impossible to kick the habit, causes serious health problems and aging the user dramatically over a short time.

There is one drug very few mention, it's legal, heavily taxed, and abused big time, mostly by the younger generation...Alcohol!

I knew someone who's liver was shot, but went against his Doctors orders and continued to abuse alcohol.

He was found dead in his apartment caused by his liver giving out.

• Upvote 1

barclaycon, you nor your posts have been deleted, like you several have us have lost our posts in the move, we were warned about this.

A final backup was done by Mick, that backup was transferred to this server's host, you like me, Stan and a few others made last minute posts AFTER the backup was completed, and they won't appear here because they were not on the backup..

It would have better had Mick put the site in maintenance mode for 24 hours until the changeover to the new host had been complete, then none of the moderators would have been accused of removing posts.

Sadly, the truth is people will always want a high and there are lots of naturally occurring stuff that is just as dangerous if not more so than the manufactured stuff.

There is one drug very few mention, it's legal, heavily taxed, and abused big time, mostly by the younger generation...Alcohol!

I knew someone who's liver was shot, but went against his Doctors orders and continued to abuse alcohol.

He was found dead in his apartment caused by his liver giving out.

I find it interesting that in media discussions about food etc, alcohol seems to be given the status of a staple of our diet. I do not understand why it is given such a high level of importance.