My Dad went to St Bernadettes, but he left in either 69 or 70. He said that there were some strict teachers there.

Which St Bernadettes are we talking about ? (There was one in Carlton, I have a friend who was there around that time)

I went to St Augustines (Now known as the Sacred Heart) but that was from 1981 - 1987. We had some great teachers back then. Mrs Wilson, Mrs Bellis, Mr Belshaw to name but a few.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to St. Bernadette's from 1961-'65. Old Man Casey was the headmaster at first and he was a sadist: He would be locked up today. Later Mr. Higgins was headmaster. Teachers I remember, Mr. De Lee; Mr. McKeever; Mr. Jack; Mr. Hopkins; Mr. Byron; Mr and Mrs Redycan; Mr. Trekasges; Mr. Hollingsworth. Pupils Robert Liddle, Mick Marecki, Trevor Ramowski, Bohdan Lesiuk, Bodhan Grabowski, Michael Unwin, Valdis Gulaytes (spelt wrong), Pete Williams, Jimmy Day, Danylevitch twins; Archie Ruthven, Francis Kalywoda-Morgan, John Millett.

I live in Florida, but will probably be visiting Nottingham in October. I'd be interested in knowing more about the reunion.

• Upvote 1

Big Mac,

'Adolf' was headmaster when I was there, all of the others were still there.

I'll get more details to you. Do you remember Simonite, Whizzo, Jennifer Snell, Smellio?

Big Mac,

I'll get more details to you. Do you remember Simonite, Whizzo, Jennifer Snell, Smellio?

I remember Simonite. I left in July 1965. I'm thinking those you mentioned were a year or two behind me.

Big Mac,

Did you attend St Teresa's RC junior school, by any chance, & are you a Watmough?

Big Mac: I know a couple of the names on you pupil list but thought they were in my years 62-67. You are clearly a year or maybe two ahead of me though. I think robert Liddle was one year ahead of me. There was a Pete Williams in my class and a John Milek. Is there a chance that you are thinking of Milek?

Big Mac: I know a couple of the names on you pupil list but thought they were in my years 62-67. You are clearly a year or maybe two ahead of me though. I think robert Liddle was one year ahead of me. There was a Pete Williams in my class and a John Milek. Is there a chance that you are thinking of Milek?

Rob Liddle was same age as me and in same form. I left in July 1965 a month before my 16th birthday when all of my form left. Funnily enough I met up with Rob Liddle in early 2012 in Nottingham: we hadn't seen each other in 44 years. We're now in touch. The Pete Williams in my class was captain of the football team and the cricket team. Definitely John Millett. He was Irish with red hair. Played in the football team and was a great sprinter. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ayup. I was the lab technician at St. Bernadette's from early 1968 to 1969. I befriended a lot of the pupils (who were not much younger than me I was 16). I remember George Puschinski, Peta Cavasana and her brother Carlo. Maureen and Anna Burke, Tanya and Annie Miasga, Amedeo Lausi, Maria Bojko Yaras Gragouskas and many more. Mr Spencely the head of Science was a great mate. He left to be replaced by Mr Shoreland. Mr Wally Biology teacher, Mr Tregaskes - maths and science. He got me through a resit of my Maths O level. Mrs Davis was the school secretary.

I left in 1967 but I remember the teaching staff mentioned in Bilbraborn's post.I was trying to recall Mrs Davis's name recently and failed, so thanks for the reminder!

Mr Tregaskis was one of the sports teachers whilst I was there. He was never 'out' at cricket, no matter how far you knocked his stumps!

Sir Spence was a bloody good teacher and regularly threatened to get his "Willy" out to us. His "Willy" was a three tailed strap for beating boys.

I wonder if Bilbraborn recalls Mr Byron (Metalwork)

Hopkins (Cough-cough wodwork)

Mr DeLee (Deputy head and the best teacher I ever had)

Mr Redican and his wife (Sports)

Mr Johnson (Lower maths)

Holy Joe Austen (Religion and geography)

Ms Lockwood (English & French)

Father Soar (Latin and mass)

Olly Beak Holingsworth (Crafts)

Mr Burton (Art)

Mr Kliczewicz (History)

Ms Phythian (Head of girls)

Charlie 'X' McKeevor (Maths)

Mr Roberts (Music)

Mr Dremza (Russian)

or any others?

I loved working there. I used to develop all my black and white films in Mr Austen's dark room. He was a nice bloke. Never minded me using his photo paper. I am struggling to remember the name of the headmaster who replaced Mr Higgins. I remember making distilled water up in the chem lab prep room up stairs so that we could make up pure bench strength acids for analysis. Trouble was, as soon as I had made a load up, all the teachers came and nicked it for their car batteries (not many sealed units in those days).

Higgins (Adolph) was still there when I left but he was replaced by a fellow called Greeley (Spelling?)

That's it. Mr Grealy. He was a helluva nice bloke. He died about twenty years ago. I wanted to go to his funeral but I was working nights and did not get up early enough.

• 1 year later...

Did the reunion ever take place?

I was there from 62 untill 66 when A P Higings was Headmaster, I can well remember Mr Hopkins the woodwork teacher, one of he's phrases " thumb one three boy " when holding a wood chisel, cough cough, or leaving school at lunch time to go to the chip shop on Carlton road and reciving six of the best from Adolph for not having permission to go out at lunch time! Could you imagine the outcry today.....lol

"Soft" could be very true, during my years at St Bernadette's we lived at Bulwell, I would catch a 43 or 44 trolley bus from the market place, leaving no latter than 7.40 to connect with a 3 or 59 in the square to take me up the dale,the last one leaving at 8.35 to get me there for 9am, after that I was late, and would find myself in detention, a relief when I left to have a shorter working week.............lol

You was in the same year as me Volly. Would we know each other? I'm Paul Simonite.

You was in the same year as me Volly. Would we know each other? I'm Paul Simonite.

Not sure Paul, the name does not ring a bell with me :(, and as the years March on I remember less and less.

I was known as "Cookie" Allan Cooke, one or two names I remember, Oliver Mgarry, James Ford, Marry Burns, Josophine Osulivan, Ernest Marteneze, Martin Foody, Martin Blake, Jan Nawkoski........ Most probably spelt them all wrong!

Allan.

I know your name Allan. I also remember Ernest Martinez. We must have been in differrent classes wihtin the same year. Was you possibly in a class with Nicky Redman and a lad called Michael or BrianO'Crowley, both from Oxton?