How did you choose your login name?

It's just a shortening of my surname, both my father and me have been known as waddo for as long as I can remember.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always wanted to be an orphan when I was young, because you got to go on the Sunday School outings for free! I also read a lot of Enid Blyton books about adventures at boarding schools and was sure

When people hear my nickname 'Chulla' for the first time they invariably ask how it came about - it happened twice at one of the Nottstalgia meet-ups. It comes from schoolboy silliness back in 1953

I used to know the reason why I chose this name buraffergorritt

Mine is simply a mis-spelling of my first name, John, together with the two initials of my second name and surname. Nothing exciting.

The locals call me Ianglais (Yanglais) or Jonglais and I have used those as a moniker on other forums but I felt there was too much of a French connection in that, especially as I joined Nottstalgia in an attempt to re-establish my Nottingham heritage.

Note jonglais is French for juggler - something I am singularly unable to do!

• Like 1

Jonab, I am called  " l'inglesina" the english lady or "la moglie di Alessio" Alessio's wife every body knows me but I don't know them all.  I know names and I recognise faces but putting them together is another matter. Village life I suppose.

• 1 year later...

Mine is the three letters of my name reversed.    I was supposed to be Megan, my grandmother wanted her name to be carried on but Dad thought she was an interfering old bugger so just registered me as Meg.

I was Margie in my teenage years.  I also answer to Marg, Margaret, Mum or Grandma, but  never Maggie!  The H was the first letter of my maiden name.

• Like 1

In the few years before I left Nottm., I was the DJ at the 360 Club.  It's that simple.

1 hour ago, trogg said:

Mine was given to me as they thought that I was only fit to live in caves, mainly due to my attitude to petty , pompous officials. 

Surely then, it shoulda been Troll? Or maybe it's  short for Troglodyte?

By the way Trogg, howya doin after your visit to the hospital in June?? B.

A troglodyte is a cave dweller. A troll is an ugly dwarf, see Google. I hope you're not insulting one of our senior members ! Tut, tut  !

Amazing!!! I just knew somebody would pick me up as soon as I posted it, (with tongue in cheek). Lo and behold I  was right. It's  my ever present conscience and minder, who I'm  sure vets everything I  post. Thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow. Think I  might employ you as my proof reader.

• Upvote 1

Tongue in cheek B...... Just saying ! thumbsup

• Like 1

Beekay Thanks I am doing OK, I am still waiting for a new shoulder but it does not stop me misbehaving and enjoying myself. I also need a proof reader but more important would be a minder to keep me on the straight and narrow. 

Have a word with Fly, he seems to have plenty of time on his hands, and he can read too! He could get some boxing gloves or knuckle dusters and be your minder, provided you change your name to Arthur Daly.  :flyswat:

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

By ‘eck! I’ve got me talking tackle on tonight! Must be this Yellowtail Cabernet Sauvignon or the Aldi Grayson’s gin (very nice!) Perhaps this is too personal, but where does your username come from?

Some are quite obvious, but some quite obscure - talking  to you Mercurydancer.

On some sites I use “Rottcodd”, the keeper of the Hall of the Bright Carvings in Gormenghast. He never got any visitors so spent most of the time sleeping. It seemed apt.

I suppose it’s quite easy to see where Affer Gorritt came from. Shouted conversations between computer room and living room ...

”What’s your user name for this website?”

”Ooh! .... I don’t know .... affergorritt”

I thought that if I used Affer Gorritt I w’unt fergerritt!

Come on! I’ve shown yer mine. Show me yours!

• Like 3

When I signed on to NS I had a big black Lab.  He had floppy ears so got the nickname Loppylugs.  When he passed on we got a Beagle.  He has even longer floppy ears so the name still fits.

I was Margie in my teenage years- although my name is actually Margaret.  The ‘H’ is the first letter of my surname at that time.   I suppose nostalgia to me usually centres on those years so it seemed an obvious choice..... not very imaginative, but there you go.  I can’t change it now (unless I open another account which as we all know is against the rules!)

I have in my time been called Bigbrew. Brewbox and Brewbags, a name a certain gentleman of this parish thought he would use to insult me. My user name is simply one half and an element of my real surname....

My Sunday name is Kathleen, only used in full when in trouble. I answer to anything though, Kath, Kate, Katy, Kay, Kat, Kathy etc. I chose Katy and Jay is the first letter of me surname.