How did you choose your login name?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always wanted to be an orphan when I was young, because you got to go on the Sunday School outings for free! I also read a lot of Enid Blyton books about adventures at boarding schools and was sure

When people hear my nickname 'Chulla' for the first time they invariably ask how it came about - it happened twice at one of the Nottstalgia meet-ups. It comes from schoolboy silliness back in 1953

I used to know the reason why I chose this name buraffergorritt

Ayupmeducks, re #10, I do recall Mr and Mrs Glover, if I remember correctly they lived on the other side of the street, backing into "big yard". We moved out in 1954 and I reckon they were still there then, but as you say it's a long way since!

goo on, I dare you, nay, I double dare you! It can't be that bad, can it? When folks ask me what my middle name is I tell them I don't have one, which is the truth, none of the 3 of us kids had one. Folks don't believe me and think it's something so bad, I can't tell them!

WARNING! Off topic: As I read that an old chant came to mind "True, dare, double dare, love, kiss or promise"

I worked at Plessey, Beeston when the first ever episode of "Last of the Summer Wine" came out. I had a motorbike and dressed for it in an old tatty parka, wellies and when not wearing a helmet a Woolly hat. I was always scruffy (and still am mostly) and immediately earned the nickname 'Compo'. Compo's name in the show was Simmonite - which also happens to be my surname. Finally, I live in Caithness.

Commo, wouldn't have been much after you moved then, that they moved to Clifton, you may remember their Son, my cousin Peter, he'd have been six in 54. My Aunt is still alive and still lives in the same house in Clifton, Uncle Ernie passed on many years back.

Ayup, re #32, it is amazing that I remember your Aunt, but Peter is only a year younger than me and I cannot recall his face! He would have gone to Shelton Street Infants with us but of course a year below.

our surname is piggott hence my other halfas always been nicknamed piggy my name was shortened to babs by most people hence the

piggy and babs.. wehn i was at school about 6 barbaras in our year alone so most of us had nick names i was lucky i just got babs when i worked for boots there were three in our depart ment too back to babs again including my best mate who was barbara and the other one barb or bb her initials.white hart there were several i was babs or titch to some or halfpint one was always known as fred. but i really do prefer babs to any of the others, there are people who have known us for years who still do not know our proper names we are simply piggy and babs.

There ya go Commo....Haven't seen them in years now, last time I saw my Aunt was over 20 years back now, smoked like a chimney...

I don't know what Peter is doing now, but he used to work as a carpet fitter for one of the upscale Nottm stores, then set out on his own with his G/F of the time.

He has a younger Brother, but he was born at Clifton, so you wouldn't have known him.

My Uncle Ernie as stated was a Clerk at a retail coal merchants, I think at the top end of Union Street somewhere..

I'll bet you bumped into my Grand dad a few times too, he had a window cleaning business, largest round in Nottingham during the 50's and 60's, Tom Russell, only had one eye from a boyhood accident.

My Gran and GD lived on Dane Street for many years, he kept his barrow and ladders in a lockup down an alley at the bottom of Alfred Street Central.

There used to be a cafe near the Theatre Royal he used for his morning break every day..

My trade/job for most of 41 years was a heavy plant fitter/welder, when I first got a computer I could only choose a user name with 8 letters hence plantfit

Rog

My name's Paul & I'm vertically challenged........................................................for my weight I should be 8' 7" , at least I'm not too fat, just too short..............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ayup, re #35, I recall Browns coalyard on Union Road, near the corner of Northumberland St, so this may have been where Uncle Ernie plied his trade.

I do recall window cleaners regularly on their rounds, but can't recall whether one was your G/D, but his lock-up was probably on Cooper (?) Terrace which was between The Oliver Cromwell pub and Clarks cycle shop.

The café was perhaps the one on Forman street which has been discussed some months back, the name of which now eludes me, but no doubt someone will refresh my memory.

Probably right on three counts, been too long for me to remember now, I remember my late Mum taking me into the cafe a couple of times so she could catch G/D.

Well, my first name is Rob and my surname begins with L, so not that difficult.

As for LizzieM's first name, it must be worth something to buy my silence. ;)

Squeal! Snitch, blab - whatever you want to call it, just tell us!

I was going to call myself Moog, after my love of syntheziers, but chose De Da, because I come from Sheffield, and we are often calked De Da's, because of the Sheffield twang thee and tha. Mystery solved. Great thread by the way. best wishes. De Da Pete.

• 1 year later...

When people hear my nickname 'Chulla' for the first time they invariably ask how it came about - it happened twice at one of the Nottstalgia meet-ups. It comes from schoolboy silliness back in 1953 and is a bit complicated . Having the surname Birch (it should be Newton, but we won't go there), I inevitably got the nickname 'Butch' in class. At that time there was a comic-strip cartoon character called Butch the Burglar. The two were put together by a lad named Brian Austin and for a little while I was 'Butch the burglar'. This was quickly shortened to Butchelar, (Butch the burglar) and then finally became the rear-end of the latter to give the phonetic Chullar (Butchelar). Some called me Chillar, others Chulla - I settled for the latter.

Daft I call it, but it has stuck. I have met people I have not seen in decades who immediately call me Chulla - and I rather like it. As for Brian Austin, we shared a sense of humour, and sadly he died many years ago. I subsequently learned that among the varied jobs he had, one was running a club in the row of shops near the Capitol cinema, opposite Berridge Road.

• Upvote 5