How did you choose your login name?

My forum name is derived from a misspelling of my first christian name and the initials of my second christian name and surname. My full surname is on these pages somwehere if anyone cares to look - the family was quite well known (and large) in Hucknall early/mid 20th century. I don't know about the current family residences in the town as I've lost contact with everyone but, I have to say that I'm not that much bothered as I didn't get on with many/any of them in my time there.

Note: I have just checked in the UK telephone directory and see that there are no telephone users with my surname in the town now. I find that odd to think they've all escaped!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always wanted to be an orphan when I was young, because you got to go on the Sunday School outings for free! I also read a lot of Enid Blyton books about adventures at boarding schools and was sure

When people hear my nickname 'Chulla' for the first time they invariably ask how it came about - it happened twice at one of the Nottstalgia meet-ups. It comes from schoolboy silliness back in 1953

I used to know the reason why I chose this name buraffergorritt

We have been here before with a massive 100 plus posts on this very same topic, can you imagine if some cleaver clogs mod piggy backed it here? Revitalising an old topic which we can read old & new memories, bit like putting the knifes & forks in the same draw, you always know where they are?  

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/11289-how-did-you-choose-your-login-name/

• Like 1

I earn my keep as a piano tuner and restorer, although not so much of it nowadays. I have been Pianoman to a fair few people for a very long time.

@radfordred   I thought I'd posted about my user name somewhere else!   I agree it might be a good idea to join the two threads together !  (Even though I don't keep knives and forks in the same drawer:wacko: ). Actually, they are in the same drawer but in separate compartments ...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

Ah! I did do a search before starting the topic, but must have used some daft parameters!

It's not you.

The Search function on this site seems to have been designed to be as confusing and awkward as possible. 

Yes, the search function.  Must be about like the login. my first login attempt almost every day results in 'Something went wrong, please try again'.  So you try again.  'Cannot parse response.'  If it happens to be your day, third time lucky!  This is the only site that does that so I don't think the problem is on my end.

LL.  my iPad doesn't like to be rushed!   If I tap too quickly, it freezes or won't let me on to a site.  (Or perhaps I'm giving it human qualities?)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My explanation of my forum name is given here on a post dated June 7. 

I have also an entry from earlier days here in the other thread which says:

"Mine is simply a mis-spelling of my first name, John, together with the two initials of my second name and surname. Nothing exciting.

The locals call me Ianglais (Yanglais) or Jonglais and I have used those as a moniker on other forums but I felt there was too much of a French connection in that, especially as I joined Nottstalgia in an attempt to re-establish my Nottingham heritage.

Note jonglais is French for juggler - something I am singularly unable to do!"

Mess was my nickname from late primary school right through to secondary school. It virtually disappeared when I started work as a sixteen year old.
It's a corruption of my surname, Cresswell.  First it was Cressie and Cress. Then it became Messy and finally Mess.