All Souls, Radford

totally new at this and struggling can anyone help with what happened to ww1 memorial plaque when the church was demolished I was told my grandfathers name was on it as he is not on any memorial in Nottingham as far as I know it was all souls church Radford

Welcome meeowed .

If you follow this thread (from #10 down) there is a link from last week about a searchable database of those on the WW1 memorials . See if he is on there or on the war graves list (link further down same thread ) .

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11021&hl=wae+graves#entry170014

thanks for your replies from what I have learned recently it seems the memorial at all souls Radford was destroyed when the church was demolished I found his grave at Arras Flanders my father never knew there was one I would like to get his name on a memorial here he was William Nix a gunner in the RHA 158 brigade he died 2nd of a April 1918 age 34 he lived on citadel street Radford I checked St Peters memorial and the new web site all to no avail I spent my childhood in Radford around Redoubt street remember the beeroff and the sweet shop and teleradio shop I am now 73 so not much time left to complete this task

hi meeowed

I have ddone a little research for you and below ar current contact details of pperson who may be blee to assist you

Good luck

Dear Paul

Your request has been passed on to me by Janice Avery.

My records and files will not provide me with this information. May I firstly suggest contacting either the current vicars Mark and Carolyn Gilmore losgilmore@googlemail.com 0115 9784593 or the Notts Archives based in Nottingham 0115 9504524 and ask for Mark Dorrington.

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan Pickett

DAC Secretary

Southwell & Nottingham Diocese

Jubilee House

Westgate

Southwell

Notts

NG25 0JH

01636 817210

jonathan.pickett@southwell.anglican.org

Website at www.southwell.anglican.org

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SouthwellandNottingham

Twitter https://twitter.com/diocswellnot

I have drone a little research on. Your behalf and here is what I have so far hope this helps

dont know if its the same one but one of the pubs that closed down on radford rd had one when the pub closed it was saved and taken some were for safe keeping but sorry i carnt remember were just remember reading about it in nottingham evening post in the last couple of years. dose anybody else remember this.

You maybe have already have seen this but here was a notice placed in the deaths column in the Evening Post at the time . Need to pay for full access but from the free search , I can glean the following :

BIRTHS, MARRIAGES AND DEATHS.
Gunner William Nix, age 34. Thy will be done.—From his loving mother dad, brother Jim. Harry (with the colour*), sister
Eliza Ann, Ada, and ???
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
22/04/1918
Family Notice

Meeowed,

I am not sure how this fits in with the info supplied by yourself but I have found the following William Nix Gunner 205288 RHA. Killed 02/04/18 aged 34. Grave at Duisans British Cemetery Etun. There is actually a picture of the grave on the web.

Son of Robert & Susan Nix 13 Ledger Yard, Ilkeston Rd, wife Florence.

The people at RHA may be able to help they are usually pretty keen about their war memorials.

Colin

thank you all so much for your replies I did visit his grave at duisan and will try the archives at wilford road the family tributes are correct and I have a picture of him signing on for the army at Derby road drill hall thank you all Bill

In 1974 remember seeing a framed illuminated list of men of the parish of Radford who gave their lives in the Great War. It was in one of the three houses occupied by hippes on Hartley Road close to the junction with Ilkeston Road. It was approximately four foot by three foot.

It had been rescued by a hippy called Hans as it was about to be put on the fire when the church was being demolished.

It had pride of place above the fireplace in the house. Although these three houses were later demolished, I would think that Hans would not allow it to be destroyed or lost. Hans was last heard of 20 years ago living in Devon.

Unbelievable that no one from the Church or local authority thought to save those memorials . Wonder how many more have been lost over the years ?

There's a story in the Evening Post online that there are to be some commemorative flag stones made , giving the names of those awarded the VC in WW1 .

There will be 11 in Notts .

The story also says there will be grants for restoring memorials that have gone into disrepair . Whether that extends to ones that have dissappeared haven't a clue . Thats assuming that a photograph or list of names can be found of this Radford one .

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/New-memorials-honour-valiant-men-fought-WWI/story-19645994-detail/story.html#axzz2bjhyseaY

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi , I'm new at this game too but have put 2 message s up for you about this I'm an old radford chap born on Canterbury rd , I have all the name a of the radford men who's names are on the All souls church memorial , it was demolished but a choir boy or a church member wrote them all down prior to demolition , I have a copy of this .

• Upvote 3

Well , I've found out my list is for St michaels and All Angels not All Souls ..... This was the church that was demolished at the junction of Hartley Rd and Alfreton rd .... I wonder if this is what the guy called Hans had on his fire place in the large picture frame . As Hartley rd does not adjoin Ilkeston rd . I have been trying to research Radford war dead from 1914 -1918 for a few number of years now . If his frame contained all the men of Old Radford , New Radford and the streets surrounding .it would contained the names of approx 650 plus names . They would certainly fit into a 4 ft by 3 ft frame but be very small writing . However each church was recommended to illustrate the names of all the men who were serving as well .... Hyson green has a fine illuminated copy as an example . Which is hanging just inside the church . If anyone has information on any men from Radford who died or served in the Great War I would be very grateful ...

Getting back to the original quest .... I have a photo of the St. Peter st Sunday school Were I attended in my childhood, it has a memorial .... All those whose remember the Sunday school , The entrance was by a side door on Bramcote street and you went downstairs to the function room and upstairs to the meeting area . Well in the main meeting area there is a brass plaque behind the projector screen with all the men who attended the church or Sunday school and were killed in the Great War .... Nix is on this plaque ..... He's not on St Peter as ascertained by the meeowed ...I hope this has been of help to you ..if I knew how to upload the pictur I have I would send it .... I still live in Radford . I can make a copy or photograph it again for you and send by email ...

Bugsy . P.s my Grandfather used to have a small business on Bulwer rd with a horse and cart selling firewood can anyone remember him and his sons who worked for him .

Hi Bugsy. Welcome and have fun. My mother in Law lives at Chesil Cottages off Canterbury Road and my grandma was brought up on Dorset Street. I believe they call that area Sodom.

My parents were married at All Souls Church and I went to Cubs at the church hall there.

It's a funny old place now. They get regular visits from the council. Usually to check that you have a parking pass displayed in your car.

Unfortunately the Nix on the st Peter's St Sunday school plaque is a G, Nix ...... I wonder if they are related W. Nix and G.Nix in the same street areas of Radford ....... Seems plausible ...

I know Dorset street quite well , and some of the residents from the 60 . Mathews , Hopkinsons Winfield's, Bamfords , plus 2 widows who's husbands who were killed in the Great War . I was in France last year just photographing war graves of men from Radford .

We lived at no 1 Canterbury rd on the hill next to Atkeys garage which changed to Honda motorbikes then ...... Whatever .

I moved out in 77 as the last of the clearances took place .

How do I start a topic on the subject of men from Radford in the Great War ..... Is it a goer support and advise will be well received .

Hope the newbie ... Meoweed. Gets in touch soon . I may still be able to help .