All Souls, Radford

There used to be a hardware shop at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Rd owned by an Arthur Nix. My dad frequented the shop regularly .

#27.........Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

Hi Bilbra born . What was your grandma called

Grandma,,,,Gran,,,,Nan......Nana?

Sorry, couldn't resist it

isitsafe

My Grandmas maiden name was Sarah Fenton better known as Sally Fenton. She became Sally Hill when she married my granddad. Her Dad was Luke Fenton - a miner at Radford/Wollaton pit. Unfortunately he was an alcoholic and he died young in the 1920s caused by a combination of coal dust and booze. Her mother was either Emily or Mary (I'm not too sure) maiden name Mellor or Mellors. She was a Romany Gypsy.

Oh trev. We used to call her Grommar. She was a right battleaxe but we loved her to bits. Even after she told my brother off for cutting the heads off all her tulips.

Not quite, Bilbraborn......

He came home from work, probably in 1920's, and his wife, my Grandma, hadn't had time to build the fire - bearing in mind she had about 8 kids. He ran down the street shouting "Fire, Fire!!", so of course all the neighbours came out, asking "Where, Where?" He said "in every fu*ers house apart from mine"

• Upvote 2

They don't produce blokes like that anymore. My dad was brilliant at making fires. I was crap. Even when I used a newspaper to draw the fire it would burst into flames and I'd get earache from my wife.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your replies I have had trouble getting signed in but I hope it is ok now I didn't know about Hyson green my sister was married there and my fathers mother lived on Bulwer road her name was Florence Nix my uncle lived in Chesil avenue Jim Beazely lots knew him as big Jim He played the drums in the pub I think it was the Gregory corner of Ilkeston Road and Radford boulevard I had good times in Radford as a boy thanks again Bill

• Upvote 1