• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

Come on admit it bet you all picked & chewed on poor poor scabs when you where kid? They did have some flavor bit black puddingy 

Quick alternative steamed pudding enough for two. Approx 2oz sr flour Approx 2oz sugar Approx 2oz butter 1 egg, drop of milk. Beat all the above together,( no need to be to fussy) Syrup or jam o

• 2 weeks later...

When I was but a little ankle biter, living in the Medders, our house had a coal cellar underneath accessable through a door at the back of the kitchen. When my Dad was in my Mam's good books she would buy him some gorgonzola cheese. This cheese never ever made it to the pantry. It was kept on a shelf at the top of the stairs going down into the coal cellar, behind the firmly closed cellar door. All us kids used to refer to it as "Dad's pooey cheese".

Hunting around the supermarket cheese display shelves yesterday I found a newy here - gorgonzola. Just the mere name brought back memories, so had to have some. Interesting, having had a gorgonzola cheese sandwich for lunch. Didn't taste half as bad as I had envisaged from long ago memories. Not sure I would buy some again though. So what was so special that all my older male relatives used to drool over it? Or was it just a fad at the time?

I think as we get older our tastes change along with everything else.

My dad and brother used to go mad over Colston Bassett stilton cheese and I hated it, yet when I was last over there I could not get enough of it.

Same here now, my wife buys me the Danish blue cheese, we have it on baked field mushrooms and also with Ritz crackers for happy hour (an ozzy term for the travelling grey nomads when 4-30pm comes around, we sit outside the RV have a glass of red or white and a few nibbles). and watch the sunsets where ever we are in this big brown land.

I love hot curries now too, but could never stand them before. Probably my tastebuds wearing out :-)

hellothere Hi Alison, had to put in a cheesy titbit, a write up on the pleasures of eating Gorgonzola - given it a capital letter, for me it's got to be King amongst cheeses. :biggrin:

My mum and dad were extremely partial to Gorgonzola. They tried the cheese from many shops: Burtons in the Arcade, the Co-op but they swore the best Gorgonzola was to be purchased from a little shop/cafe on Hyson Green - just past Woolworth's (1950's/ 60's). Of course muggins me had to go on a regular errand to this cafe: on the bus all the way from Bells Lane (didn't mind really as it meant extra pocket money).

I remember the delicious aroma of freshly percolated coffee as I walked in through the shop's Victorian style doorway; the cafe was set at the back of the shop, very French looking, French feeling it seemed to my young imagination - s'pose you could say it was like a Toulouse Lautrec painting in there.

As well as selling drinks and cakes, the shop sold loose, continental coffee and different cheeses - s'pose you could call it an early delicatessen. I'd buy only a small portion of gorgonzola (around 2/6d worth) as it was so expensive - considered an epicurean speciality back then. As a kid, I couldn't think why grown ups would want to eat the stuff, I mean the cheese was left to mature in a bed of wires until it went mouldy and then smelt like sweaty socks! Maggots were even mentioned! Shock horror :ohmy:

Now I'm older must say that I absolutely adore Gorgonzola - my taste buds react with passion even as I write. A piece doesn't last long at my place; good job it's one of those delicacies that have become cheaper over the years.

PS: A glass of French red, some crusty bread and a good dollop of Gorgonzola and I say: "that's living alright!" :cheers:

PPS: Years ago, we'd have Gorgonzola with Spanish Onion (sprinkled with salt, then warmed by the fire).

PPPS: I've got rather carried away enthusing upon Gorgonzola but truly I could eat the smelly, creamy, tasty, runny stuff by the bucketload, yum, yum; Gorgonzola, even the name's orgasmic to the taste buds - well, it is to mine............ bowdown

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Warfarin would put paid to that thought Compo. One small wound, even a scratch can scab for weeks and leave scars. :wacko:

I can just imagine, in the olden days, kids in a playground being cruel as kids can be, running round shouting, 'Look at so and so, they've got SCABS'.

I bet not many kids get them today either, because  it's hard to get a scab on the end of the fingers......texting :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Come on admit it bet you all picked & chewed on poor poor scabs when you where kid? They did have some flavor bit black puddingy :crazy:

You keep yer culinary habits to yersen Red !

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just up, central heating on full blast, and a big bowl of piping hot Ready Brek and honey on the go !

Yes, still snowing !