I reckon beans on toast is the ultimate comfort food, what else? Today we had liver done in the frying pan, then a tin of tomatoes chucked in till everything was hot, served with HP sauce and some toast to soak up the juice. I was bought up on tinned tomatoes on hot buttered toast, my mum served them to my then fiance, who'd never heard of it before. [he still eats it to this day]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

Come on admit it bet you all picked & chewed on poor poor scabs when you where kid? They did have some flavor bit black puddingy 

Quick alternative steamed pudding enough for two. Approx 2oz sr flour Approx 2oz sugar Approx 2oz butter 1 egg, drop of milk. Beat all the above together,( no need to be to fussy) Syrup or jam o

I love hot tinned tomatoes on buttered toast, half a dozen slices of toast with toms on them are a full meal...

Our all time favorite has to be Bacon, Fried egg and tinned tomatoes with salt, pepper and a tsp of sugar. sometimes for breakfast or teatime, depends when we

fancy it. 2 slices of bread and i save a little bit of everything to make a sarni at the end, just so i can dribble down my nice clean top.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Loverly.

We're a bit like Carni, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes fried in pan with garlic granules salt and peper ! Yummmm.

Not often but sometimes a slice of fried bread on the side.

We only have this concoction maybe once a month at most though as a special treat as I'm watching my weight !

My other must have occasionally is chips and egg, which was my favorite from my childhood years and still is.

I can always manage roast pork, home made sage and onion stuffing and lots of crackling anytime though.

Did I say I was watching my weight ! I am really :-)

:biggrin: My 'Comfort Food' is a Boiled Egg Sandwich - back to basics.

I boil my eggs for 4 minutes, peel them, put them on my buttered brown bread, add salt and pepper and hey presto something to eat that's simple and good. :biggrin:

PS: Serve with a hot cup of tea........

Like all sorts of food, but our ultimate comfort food would have to be Chilli and rice as we have this every Wednesday, with a glass of red wine and an action film (though it has to be fairly tame, something like James Bond with a fair amount of humour!!) Great for a midweek break, makes the weekend come round quicker :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Steak, there's nothing like a chunk of red meat occasionally.

Black pudding, every time. A couple of pieces, 3/4 inch thick, cooked in the frying pan, then served with chips and baked beans - Heaven. Middle of Winter down here, and I live just a six iron from Antarctica. When the cold and damp seem to seep into your bones, that's the best time for Black Pudding.

Just give me some of everything already mentioned and I'm happy :) I have to say that Cheese and onion crisps on thickly buttered fresh bread is one of my favourites.

Hi Compo, living up there, you should be familiar with cranachan, on of my favourite deserts ever.

I agree, everything here I enjoy. Food hates are Turkish Delight and Bounty bars.

For lunch I've just had two thick slices of wholemeal toast, lashings of butter and crunchy peanut butter.

Many years back I introduced my wife, an American, to crumpets and Bovril, the toasted crumpets buttered with a smear of Bovril on them, she took to them like a duck to water, in fact she was addicted to them...

Over here for breakfast I often have an "English Muffin" (never seen such a thing in England), toasted with butter, Marmite and a fried egg!

If McDonalds ever discover the delights of Marmite, I am in BIG trouble!

Just been on another forum debating what's a muffin..what's a pyclet and what's a crumpet...over a hundred posts with everyone having different ideas about which is what.

I'm gonna get a seance going and ask Charles Dickens what they called 'em.

Good luck with that Pooh!

As I said, I have never seen what Americans call an "English Muffin" over there - but I have also never seen a pyklet over here!

Hi Eric, I always heard my grandma refer to those round bread like things with lots of holes in it as pyklet. They were great with lots of butter toasted into them. Closest things I have found to them is at Trader Joes if you have one in your area. Can't remember what they called them but they were on the bread shelves. I guess a pyclet by any other name is still a pyklet. Bit heavier texture than the Nottingham ones and not as good IMHO but just put lots of butter on 'em.

We did find "English" crumpets in one of the supermarket chains when we lived in California, can't for the life of me think which one it was now, but just the same as the crumpets I was brought up on....

You can make your own, you need a set of baking rings though, same diameter as a the crumpet size you want to make by about 3/4 of an inch high. You make the mix, bit like a pancake mix with yeast added, and they are cooked in the frying pan...

You can find loads of sites giving the recipe and cooking details on the net.

Been a while since I made any, but getting me yearning for them again....