We still call crumpets pyclets and have found a new use for them for a cheap , quick lunch snack .

Pop them in the toaster and toast well .

Remove and spread a thin layer of tomato puree from the tube then place one piece of sliced cheese on top and piece of sliced tomato and/or mushroom and put under grill till browned .

Serve with salad leaves and lots of coleslaw or humus .

Ok its a very cheap-skate pizza but only takes minutes to do and is delicious .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

Come on admit it bet you all picked & chewed on poor poor scabs when you where kid? They did have some flavor bit black puddingy 

Quick alternative steamed pudding enough for two. Approx 2oz sr flour Approx 2oz sugar Approx 2oz butter 1 egg, drop of milk. Beat all the above together,( no need to be to fussy) Syrup or jam o

Egg, sausage, beans and chips, or as I call it, a transport caff meal.

No Katyjay. A transport cafe meal was a Greasy Joe. A thick bacon sarni, with the bread dipped in the hot bacon fat, and loads of bacon.

My aunt worked in the pyclet factory when I was a kid, it was seasonal work. Whodathunkit, appears there is a season for everything!

No Katyjay. A transport cafe meal was a Greasy Joe. A thick bacon sarni, with the bread dipped in the hot bacon fat, and loads of bacon.

A real cafe of the day was The Mill cafe, at Bobbers mill.

Was still there as I had a Saus (sausage meat) and egg sandwich there two years ago on my last visit, but not the same as in its heyday.

All double yellow lines outside now so very limited parking.

Run by the same family for many years, our daily stop on my way to Derby where I was working for several months during the 70's.

They baked their own crusty bread and the sausage meat was cooked in a huge flat pan, Oh and the mug of semi stewed tea which was brewed in a huge teapot which was constantly topped up during the morning rush.

Me mam would allus say, of someone who needed an easy job, he's only good fer punchin' 'oles in pyclets!!

I always understood pyclets (as we called them) were the same as crumpets. Best toasted on an open fire - when we had such things! - as was toast itself.

Muffins ('English Muffins') are not something we ever had when I was young, although I think they did 'down south' (e.g. the scene in The Importance of Being Earnest when they're eating muffins). Nowadays, of course, they have these cakes which are called muffins.

Oooh corn beef hash, cheese + onion crisp sarnies, egg and home made chips, porridge with sugar and of course a big supply of chocolate and a cuppa tea also does the trick!

After seeing a few posts about fry ups abs cafes... Anyone on here paid a visit to 'limes cafe'? It's on the way to rufford park (no good with roads, that's all I can tell ya) a cuppa + fry up from there is heavenly! We go in if we're on our way for a day out in that direction.

It's on the A614 and very popular with hgv drivers and my husband tells me they used to call in there on the police driving course. He says it was a bit like a cowboy saloon. Everybody went quiet when they walked in, even though they had put civvie jackets on!!

"English Muffins" this side of the pond aren't cakes, more of a bread type of item...

Took us a while to think of what we know as fairy cakes, to call them muffins. Don't think they're even called fairy cakes in the UK any longer?

Oooh corn beef hash, cheese + onion crisp sarnies, egg and home made chips, porridge with sugar and of course a big supply of chocolate and a cuppa tea also does the trick!

You've been looking at my favourites menu, haven't you!!!

thumbsup

Quick alternative steamed pudding enough for two.

Approx 2oz sr flour

Approx 2oz sugar

Approx 2oz butter

1 egg, drop of milk.

Beat all the above together,( no need to be to fussy)

Syrup or jam or lemon curd

Butter microwave friendly bowl,put syrup etc into the bottom of bowl, top with mixture,pop in microwave,approx 2 to 3 mins and Wallah, Speedy comfort pud.

• Upvote 2

Rhubarb crumble - with custard of course!

a plate of beef stew and dumplings, is also a good treat.

Proper dumplings made with suet, love them. Too often, and the kilos pile on to the waistline.

Some times when i fancy something a bit different (not very Genteel, but blumin delicious) i butter two slices of bread and fill with four fish fingers and Heinz spaghetti in tom sauce, mmmmmm heaven, and i bet you can't eat it without having to wash you'r hands and face and change you'r clothes, wipe every thing around you, You certainly couldn't eat it in front of the Queen. unless she secretly likes it to. :)

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

• Upvote 4