Tapioca was called frogspawn when I was at school. Semolina had a blob of jam in it, and I must admit I never turned down a school dinner's pudding, they were always filling, and if I could seconds, I was there like a shot.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

Come on admit it bet you all picked & chewed on poor poor scabs when you where kid? They did have some flavor bit black puddingy 

Quick alternative steamed pudding enough for two. Approx 2oz sr flour Approx 2oz sugar Approx 2oz butter 1 egg, drop of milk. Beat all the above together,( no need to be to fussy) Syrup or jam o

Semolina had a blob of jam in it,

The blob of jam was compulsory, Had to have it. Just imagine Delia on the Telly stating "and now we add the blob of jam" in the middle.

• Upvote 1

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

Going to remind mum about this, she used to make home made rice pud quite often but hasn't in a while. Obviously the skin it forms is the best with a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon

At our school the jam served with semolina at dinner times was so runny we called it Bicycle oil.

School dinner in the 1960s were fantastic. Two courses and usually as much as any child needed.

• Upvote 1

Eric, re: the rhubarb crumble, I was in a supermarket in Flagstaff last week, and their rhubarb was $5.99. I assume a pound, crikey, it would choke me at that price. You don't see it growing much around here, like in the UK. Too dry I think. And you don't see it in tins either over here, it's not bad at a pinch.

Try the frozen food section of your local store Kath. Should be plenty in there..

John, I've never seen frozen rhubarb over here, and certainly not in my little town's Safeway. I shall have to investigate that. Stephen, if you want to see food that looks exactly like wallpaper paste, look at Poi in Hawaii, Yuk.

...if you want to see food that looks exactly like wallpaper paste, look at Poi in Hawaii, Yuk.

Or grits! - Equally Yuk!

Grits are fine, Eric. I guess I have been converted to Southern. Also enjoy Collard greens and fried green tomatoes. Probably not fully Southern though, I add butter and sugar to my grits. SWMBO says I am really a closet Yankee. Apparently that's how they eat their grits. Some of these guys are still fighting the civil war down here. :-). Btw. I'd use proper smilies but can't find them when on my IPad.

Need a recipe guys. This morning bought a kg of frozen NZ green lipped mussels for UKP6.50. They have been lightly steamed before freezing, and are minus the shells. Happy to eat them exactly as bought once defrosted, but been searching for a typical Skeggy/Cleethorpes/Mablethorpe brine/vinegar mix to soak them in for a few days, so far without success.

I am quite sure that everyone here has at some time eaten cockles, whelks and various other goodies whilst walking along the front. They are soaked in a special brew, and I would love to be able to do my own. Thanks

:biggrin: Love 'Oatmeal Patties': using left over potato make small cakes, slightly dip in beaten egg, then oatmeal and fry gently in oil until crisp - great with cold meat and pickles. :biggrin:

PS: Gordon Ramsay said that you could tell a good cook by what they could do with the left overs - had much practice with this over the years.

Need a recipe guys. This morning bought a kg of frozen NZ green lipped mussels for UKP6.50. They have been lightly steamed before freezing, and are minus the shells. Happy to eat them exactly as bought once defrosted, but been searching for a typical Skeggy/Cleethorpes/Mablethorpe brine/vinegar mix to soak them in for a few days, so far without success.

I am quite sure that everyone here has at some time eaten cockles, whelks and various other goodies whilst walking along the front. They are soaked in a special brew, and I would love to be able to do my own. Thanks

Ah mussels, my Dad's very favourite food! On Saturday afternoons, while he was at football, Mum prepared a big bowl of mussels for a treat. I doubt very much that she would use anything special to soak them in ..... just malt vinegar I reckon.

In the days before everyone had fridges, if we had milk that had gone sour my Mum would pour it into one of my Dad's freshly boiled handerkerchiefs - holding the corners. Then squeeze out any liquid, and hang it outside on the nail that held the clothes line for a few days. I believe that it became Colwick cheese. Used to taste quite yummy. Mind you the milk hadn't been got at by the people who mess with food. As in it was pre-pasteurisation. There used to be real cream in the top two inches of the bottles.

I have found a recipe for the liquid that they soak shellfish in. It uses onion, pepper corns, white vinegar, sugar and salt. Just need to get the ratios correct.

Alisoncc #66

We don't like anything pickled to be tarty so this is how we have our mussels

Dissolve 1tsp sugar in a bowl with small amount warm water and seasoning and top up with Malt vinegar, when you have tried it you can adjust your ingredients to your own taste, you only need enough liquid to just cover the mussels. This amount is for about 6/8oz cooked mussels. Good Luck.

Thanks Carni. Been too busy enjoying the mussels to worry about what to put them in. The last time I was in Nottingham was late '99. Went with a friend to Victoria Markets?? There was a fishmonger there that had NZ green lipped mussels. I bought half a kilo and ate them on the way home on the bus to Beeston. My friend almost threw up when she saw what I was eating. But I love them.

Hugs

Alison

Alisoncc #72

Hi, I always remember mam doing the same with the milk, she would use cotton hankies or i remember cotton socks ( unused i hope lol) she would hang them on the washing line. I went a lot of years with out eating it as i left Nottingham in the 1960s and though i went home often, it didn't coincide with when she had made some, and i lost the taste for it, it just seemed very bitter to me and i never got the taste for it back. Thank you for bringing the memory back for me.I must try some again, you never know!.