I heard some years ago Mickey Dolenz of the Monkeys fame and Elephant boy, lived in Newark. Apparently his Mother lived there, She was very rich, made a fortune out of inventing tipex. Went to the Ye olde trip to Jerusalam, and his pic with autograph was on the wall. Anyone met him?.

Yes he bought Winthorpe Hall but left in the early 90's. But I never met him though I was running the local youth club in the village at the time. (Didn't even know he was there!!) He was in Circus Boy as a child.

Incidentally Winthorpe Hall is now a residential care home.

Nearly there.......................

Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper in 1951....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Paper Liquid_paper.png

Tipp-Ex was a German product by a company founded in 1959 and may well have been a direct copy of Liquid Paper (as if people would do such a thing) ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipp-Ex220px-TippexOldStyleBottle.jpg

Thank You IMP - you have the story correct - and Mike was also the only real musician of the group.....although Peter Tork was a close friend of Steven Stills. Should I admit that my favorite Monkeys album is "Headquaters" which I have on CD - or that their Greatest Hits still hold up well after all these years. Last Train To Clarksville - Pleasent Valley Sunday and I'm Not Your Stepping Stone!

Yes he bought Winthorpe Hall but left in the early 90's. But I never met him though I was running the local youth club in the village at the time. (Didn't even know he was there!!) He was in Circus Boy as a child.

Incidentally Winthorpe Hall is now a residential care home.

Fascinating. bet your village is a beautiful place. Thank you. De Da Pete.

Thank You IMP - you have the story correct - and Mike was also the only real musician of the group.....although Peter Tork was a close friend of Steven Stills. Should I admit that my favorite Monkeys album is "Headquaters" which I have on CD - or that their Greatest Hits still hold up well after all these years. Last Train To Clarksville - Pleasent Valley Sunday and I'm Not Your Stepping Stone!

Thank you for your input. they made some great songs, although correct me if I'm wrong .didn't write them I understand. Take care D Da Pete..

I met him in 1993 in Roanoke, Virginia at a book signing, of his autobiography, I'm A Believer; My Life Of Monkees, Music, And Madness.

Thank you for telling me, I must read his autobiography now. Take care De Da Pete.

It was actually Mike Nesmith's mother who invented Tippex:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bette_Nesmith_Graham

Although Tippex was actually a different brand of the same sort of stuff.

Thank you for correcting me about correction fluid. I know now. take care. Best wishes. De Da Pete.

IMMSC " (I'm) Not your stepping stone" was the flip side to "I'm a believer"

The reason I remember something as clearly as that from 40 odd years ago is that i bought it for my sister for her birthday.

Mickey Dolenz went on to be a producer of such television greats as "Metal Mickey" and "Astra" (Starring a very young Patsy Kensit)

Thank you for the info. I'll have to check out that B side. Didn't know he produced Tv, but it would make sense. did a lot of TV himself. Cheers De Da.

Hi

Mickey Dolenz owned Winthorpe House, not Winthorpe Hall. I visited the gardens as part of the National Gardens Scheme and his children (who looked like miniature versions of him!) were taking the entrance fee. His wife ran her business there, growing and drying flowers. The house looked beautiful although the paying public only got to see the exterior of course. I think not very long after, he split up with his wife (she sold her story to Hello or OK, which painted a less than flattering picture of him) and the house was sold.

I too loved (and still love) The Monkees, having seen repeats of their TV show during my childhood. They produced some really good music (even though they weren't allowed to play on their early tracks).

Jayne

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...