School Uniform Shops 1950/60s

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jill, we were walking around a swap meet (mostly tat market!) this morning and there was 1 fella on his lonesome wearing saffron robes. Made me think of both you and Chulla!

We are born male or female!  That's it!  I don't care what we might think we are, or what some PC idiot tries to persuade us that we are.   Putting on a skirt will not change that.  Just mak

The only reason we are here is to pro-create,to carry on the species so what useful purpose do homosexuals serve? they have even corrupted the English language,years ago the word "Gay" meant happy,jol

We probably just need to define our terms a bit here. Me included. ;)

The original link referred to school uniforms and boys who think they are girls or vice versa.  This does not always tie to homosexuality.  Rather such a lad might be considered effeminate.  Just likes wearing the clothing of the opposite sex.  Weird but not necessarily homo.

I have heard of plenty of homosexuals who are macho men.  We would not necessarily think of them as homo.  Unfortunately some ladies even marry such only to have a terrible shock later when the truth comes out.

I'm sure most here already know that but we have a tendency to assume they go together.

We are living in VERY strange days!

What we don't need is PC idiots throwing gasoline on this fire.  If a person's birth certificate identifies them as male they use the mens change rooms and bogs.  A lot of this problem stems from pseudo psychologists and others who encourage this silly behaviour instead of just saying man up and gerronweit as they would have done in our day

• Upvote 3

The only reason we are here is to pro-create,to carry on the species so what useful purpose do homosexuals serve? they have even corrupted the English language,years ago the word "Gay" meant happy,jolly,just imagine in years to come some poor soul studying the first world war comes across terms such as "They all had a gay time when on leave" and "He was a gay person" that poor soul would get the impression that all soldiers who took part in this terrible conflict were homosexuals,I do not appologise for any of my comments on this subject

Rog

• Upvote 5

I always thought a mortar board was a ridiculous piece of headgear.  :biggrin:

At the Chandos academy they made us wear uniforms.  Grey flannel pants and black blazer with the school badge.  The good side of it was that there was no competition to be 'cool.'   We all looked about the same.  We all knew we were boys so nobody wanted a skirt, as far as I know.  Relative peace was maintained in the school.  Teachers were able to teach their subjects without references to gender and most of us I'm sure looked forward to getting a job and settling down.  Life was better.

• Upvote 2

Most of the teachers at Carlton-le-Willows Grammar wore gowns. There was a lot of respect for teachers in those days, with pupils standing up from their desks when the teacher entered the room.  

• Upvote 2

They all wore gowns at FFGS, and mortar board on special occasions. They looked smart, and earned respect.

I must google the origin of the mortar board.  I wore one at my graduation but that is the only time ever.  Me tassel kept getting caught in me collar, and I was afraid the daft thing was going to drop off when I walked up on the platform.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Sign of respect Mick,CT I think most of the teachers at Fairham wore the gown when I was there and on special occasions the also wore some sort of fur collar would that have been Ermine or some way of letting everyone know whatt university they went to,

We too stood up in silence when a teacher entered the room

Rog

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

CT I think most of the teachers at Fairham wore the gown when I was there

When I started quite a few wore gowns; by the time I left the numbers had dropped a lot.

I always wondered if they had any choice in the actual gown they had. You'd see tall teachers with very short gowns, finishing around the waist; and smaller teachers with long gowns where they almost tripped over them.

CT Who was the Hunt housemaster in the mid-late 60's he always looked like a bag of crap tied in the middle with his gown on

Rog

He's the one,Mr Douglas,thin bloke with reddish hair,always looked scruffy,I can see him now walking across that playground with his tattered gown flowing behind,thanks for the reminder CT,

Rog

There doesn't seem to be that many posters on here from Clifton compared to the Meadows,St Anns,Radford etc yet when those places were being knocked down most of the residents went to Clifton,just an observation

• 1 month later...
On 2013-8-11 at 0:21 AM, katyjay said:

I'm pretty sure my mam got my uniform from either Roughton's on Derby Rd, or the big Co-op. That's where she had coupons to spend, then pay on the never-never. My uniform was very basic though, navy gymslip in the juniors, skirt in the seniors, blue blouse and navy V-neck jumper, navy gabardine mac and blazer. Blue check dress in the summer. I'm sure she could have got these anywhere, including C&A?

Bit of a late reaction. I'd never heard of the place but it obviously existed.

l7DYaQr.jpg

I don't think I ever realized it was a department store, I only went in one section for my clobber. Also didn't realise it took up 5 shops judging by the address.