School Uniform Shops 1950/60s

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jill, we were walking around a swap meet (mostly tat market!) this morning and there was 1 fella on his lonesome wearing saffron robes. Made me think of both you and Chulla!

We are born male or female!  That's it!  I don't care what we might think we are, or what some PC idiot tries to persuade us that we are.   Putting on a skirt will not change that.  Just mak

The only reason we are here is to pro-create,to carry on the species so what useful purpose do homosexuals serve? they have even corrupted the English language,years ago the word "Gay" meant happy,jol

Roughton's had one of those overhead payment systems that scared me to death when I was a child. I hated the noise they made. Farmer's also had one, as did Beech's in Hyson Green. I flatly refused to go into any shop that had one of those when I was little and when my mother picked me up to carry me in, I'd open my mouth and....SCREAM!

There was a shop called Wardle's at the top of Alfreton Road, approaching Canning Circus. It sold children's wear, including coats. I remember having a brown gabardine from there when I was at Berridge. In my mother's time, people bought school gym slips from Olivia Jude. They were there for years. Somewhere near to Roughton's was Lipman's the bridal shop and near the top of Alfreton Road was Newman's who also sold bridal wear.

Yes, I remember the fixed canopy and those wooden gate-type barriers when the shop was closed. I think part of that row of shops has been demolished in recent years and rebuilt. As usual, ruins the aesthetics!

Remember mum buying curtaining from there. They probably sold liberty bodices too!

Every few years, mum would buy striped deck chair canvas which was cut off the roll but she always purchased this from a shop in Hockley. Was it called Stapleton's?

• 2 years later...

I had the ‘pleasure’ of working at D&P as a Saturday job.

It was like Grace Brothers. Frank was the old guy, the suede head was the youngster, can’t remember his name. Then there was the lady who sat in the cash booth near the front door. Boys’ dept to the left, girls’ to the right. 

I was forever ever packing and unpacking shirts and jumpers in their cellophane packaging when mummies wanted their little angels to try on half a dozen different ones before deciding. 

Lunch and and tea breaks were in the rat-infested basement. 

I got got sacked because the manager, Mr Marjoriebanks (pronounced Marchbanks, a bit like Capt Mainwaring/Mannering) thought I had skived to watch the FA cup on telly. I didn’t, I had a swollen ankle the size of a grapefruit. 

I didn’t miss it - I went to drive for Wilkinson Surgical Hoisiery instead, much more fun!

• Like 2

Jill, we were walking around a swap meet (mostly tat market!) this morning and there was 1 fella on his lonesome wearing saffron robes. Made me think of both you and Chulla!

• Like 5

Cecil Bowd had the monopoly on school uniforms in Hucknall in the 50s. His shop was on the High Street tucked between Nellie Rick's/Bailey's Pot Shop/old Post Office (lost the exact siting). Bowd himself was an unpleasant little man whom my mother described as being 'artistic' (which didn't mean autistic - that  hadn't been invented then). He had a very thin pencil moustache - like a wartime spiv (but he was much too short for the typically portrayed spiv), was always very smartly dressed and had hands which seemed hyperflexible in that they flapped around a lot when he was speaking.

I found him quite scary as his floppy hands seemed intent to handle as much of his potential customers as possible.

It always seemed incongruous to me to have a very expensive school uniform shop like Bowd's in a town like Hucknall where a considerable proportion of the residents had difficulties in affording a Blanchard's loaf and Stork margarine  to eke out on it to keep them alive.

I can remember going to D & P for my Bilborough Grammar school uniform. My mum always used to buy for you to “grow into”. My school blazer lasted right through the school it was that big and I’m sure the knickers came to under my armpits. Then there was the Grecian (very pretentious) tunic for PE, it consisted of two pieces of straight material sewed together with an elasticated waist, it used to ride up when you raised your arms with matching (under the armpit) knickers. Also the hockey shirts, mine were well below my knees when first bought, they didn’t half chafe with a short sleeved t-shirt. The cardigans were really thin, spent many unhappy hours freezing on the hockey field and netball courts. 

There was also a gym slip for the first 3 years then it changed to a skirt and blouse in winter and a dress in summer, never had the dress hated it so had a short sleeved blouse instead. I can remember taking my skirt up (mini skirts were in) don’t think mum was best pleased about it.

Then there was the beret, never did work out how to put it on so the badge was showing, think I wore it like Benny Hill. Not very elegant.

The colours weren’t bad, two shades of turquoise for the uniform, black blazer and beret, black and turquoise tie. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Memories, SG! My blazer lasted right the way through Manning too. Sleeves were rather short at the end. We, too, had a Grecian style tunic, for dance,complete with a silk corded belt!  Petersham ribbon tie. D&P was the only outlet for those and they were very expensive. To this day, I can't tie a conventional tie.

Summer dresses were made from fabric bought from the school.  As I've said before, the day I left I took great pleasure in dumping the whole lot, ceremoniously, in the bin.  On 4 September this year, it will be 50 years since I commenced my sentence at Manning.  An anniversary I shan't be celebrating!

Jill Sparrow, this year on September 4th I will be celebrating 54 years of marriage with ' er indoors, ( Mrs. Beekay). So all of us should have a memorable day.thumbsup

• Like 1