This might be a bit of a long shot but where would someone who died in the Meadows area be buried? Thinking of going grave hunting.

The person I am looking for info on is my Great Grandmother Mary Harvey. She was born 1864 and died 1923. I have not got her death certificate yet but I would think she lived at 9 Blackstone Street, Meadows at the time of death. Previously she lived at 21 Queens Grove and was born at Flintham. This person is the family's proverbial skeleton in the closet and frankly makes it the most interesting bit of my family history as she had 9 children (1 died) but she never married. That is the reason my surname is Harvey as she passed her name to her offsprings.

Also I am wondering if it is actually possible to find out who my Grandfathers father actually was. The relevant space on his birth certificate is blank and on the 1901 & 1911 censuses(?) Mary Harvey is listed as head of the family - no man at the same address. My Grandfather Edward Harvey was born at 21 Queens Grove in 1894.

I have found a number of Harvey graves at both Flintham and Kneeton churchyards that all seem to be relatives of mine.

TIA

Can't advise about the burials and its really difficult to find and prove an unknown father . Are there any clues in the middle names of the children ?

I have the same with my great grandmother . She had 3 children with no father listed on any of the births and was living at Mansfield .

Only clue was that one child had the unusual middle name of Carson but could never locate a Mr. Carson in the vicinity .

I've done quite a bit of family history research myself, and the email contact address here is the one to go for (down at the bottom of the page) cemeteries@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/21822/Cemeteries-crematoriums-and-burial-grounds

If you give them the details of name/date of burial/etc they will tell you if that person is at a particular cemetery.

Dig around on that website (slightly unfortunate expression!) and also look at the nottinghamshire county council site to gie you a wider view of things.

• Upvote 1

You have to get the death cert first, so that you have the actual date and place of death. When you have that, it might be worth searching the local paper for any mention, as details of funeral may be given. The Evening Post is online here, certainly for some of 1923, but I don't know whether it's complete.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

• Upvote 2

Its a fairly common name but there is this Marys funeral in 1823 ?

BIRTHS. MARRIAGES. AND DEATHS. Births Marriages, Deaths, Sympathy,
Saturday. HARVEY.—On March 22nd, at 173 Wilford-grove, Mary, widow the late George (of Wilford-crescent West ).
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
23/03/1923
Family Notice

Its a fairly common name but there is this Marys funeral in 1823 ?

BIRTHS. MARRIAGES. AND DEATHS. Births Marriages, Deaths, Sympathy,
Saturday. HARVEY.—On March 22nd, at 173 Wilford-grove, Mary, widow the late George (of Wilford-crescent West ).
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
23/03/1923
Family Notice

Its possible but unlikely that it is the same family. I have only gone back to 1806 and that was a birth. Mind you it was George Harvey. The Mary I am looking for is possibly the only Harvey that came to Nottingham. They seem to have travelled along the A46 turned right at Bingham and came in on the A52. Starting with Mary and going backwards, it is Nottingham City, Flintham, Kneeton, Barkestone, Newark, that being George Harvey born 1806. That is the direct line and I have not gone sideways much yet, apart from John Harvey who was Mary's brother who kept Red Lodge at Scriveton. He has a posh headstone in Flintham churchyard. Mary Harvey never married - she just had kids!

You have to get the death cert first, so that you have the actual date and place of death. When you have that, it might be worth searching the local paper for any mention, as details of funeral may be given. The Evening Post is online here, certainly for some of 1923, but I don't know whether it's complete.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Thanks. Death certificate ordered. I am trying to do what I can without having to pay :-)

I'm wondering whether the death cert you've ordered is for the lady in the Post who might not be yours. Which cert have you ordered? Which quarter and how old was she?

Someone probably misread my original post. My Mary Harvey died 1923 not 1823. She was 59 when she died born 1864

I realise it was 1923 - think it was just David's typo. There was only one death of a Mary Harvey in Nottingham in 1923 - registered in the March quarter, aged 59, which is presumably the one you've ordered, but I think this has to be the one in the Post

• Upvote 1

I realise it was 1923 - think it was just David's typo. There was only one death of a Mary Harvey in Nottingham in 1923 - registered in the March quarter, aged 59, which is presumably the one you've ordered, but I think this has to be the one in the Post

Yes that is the death certificate that I have ordered and yes there was only one Mary Harvey died in 1923 in Nottingham. BUT. If the one David has found is the same person she must have married George Harvey AFTER 1911 (census). I suppose it is possible that she could have married someone with the same surname. She is listed on the 1901 and 1911 censuses as Mary Harvey, head of family and single, not widowed. She was born Mary Harvey in 1864. I think there is a puzzle here that won't be answered until I get the death certificate.

Oops sorry about the typo ! I meant 1923 as per the date on the E.P. announcement .

Oops sorry about the typo ! I meant 1923 as per the date on the E.P. announcement .

Thanks for confirming typo. I puzzled now as to why the Mary Harvey you have found is a widow. as on the 1901 and 1911 censuses she is an unmarried mum of 8

Oh dear. I have just been on FindMyPast and searched later deaths. There was a Mary Harvey aged 80 died first quarter 1945 and another died 1948 last quarter aged 84, both Nottingham City. My Mary Harvey was born 1864 so either of those could be correct also. My father (b. 1928) never talked about his grandparents so I really am in the dark here.

Its early in the morning and there's something I can't get my head around yet . Maybe Ann can ?

Pianoman mentioned the name Cooper in an earlier post as well as Harvey .

There is this below on Rootsweb for a Sarah Harvey born in Flintham .

Her first marriage was to a Frederick Cooper . Her 2nd marriage was to another Harvey. i.e. Henry HARVEY . 3rd marriage to a Mr ?

However as a result of the 3rd marriage this says there was a son called Harry born in 1872 at Gedling .

Is this the same Harold that was mentioned by Annswabey as executer to that Marys will , she who died in 1923 .? Or is she now discounted ?

Further below is the 1891 Census on Freecen showing Harry Harvey who may be the executor living with brother George and mother Sarah (born Flintham) at Arnold and yet another Cooper living there .

Seems too many coincidences for there not to be a connection

SARAH HARVEY

• ID: P7221
  • Birth: abt 1842 in Flintham, Nottinghamshire, England 1 2 3 4 5 6
  • Residence: 1891 Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England 6
  • Name: Sarah HARVEY 1 2 3 4 5 6
  • Residence: 1881 Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England 5
  • Residence: 1871 Gedling, Nottinghamshire, England 4
  • Residence: 1861 Tutnall and Cobley, Worcestershire, England 3
  • Residence: 1851 Flintham, Nottinghamshire, England 2
  • Residence: 1901 Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England 1
  • Death: Deceased
  • Sex: F

leaf_treehints.gifAncestry Hints for Sarah HARVEY

4 possible matches found on Ancestry.com alogo.gif

Father: John HARVEY b: abt 1806 in Oxton, Nottinghamshire, England

Marriage 1 Frederick COOPER b: 1826 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England

Marriage 2 Henry HARVEY b: abt 1838 in Arnold, Nottinghamshire, EnglandChildren

Marriage 3 Spouse UnknownChildren

• Married: Basford q3 7b/200 Sep 1892 in Basford, Nottinghamshire, England
  • Married: Basford q4 7b/196 Dec 1865 in Basford, Nottinghamshire, England
  • child_blank.gifJohn HARVEY b: abt 1861 in Redditch, Worcestershire, England
  • child_blank.gifGeorge HARVEY b: abt 1867 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England
  • child_blank.gifSarah E HARVEY b: abt 1869 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England
  • child_blank.gifHarry HARVEY b: abt 1872 in Gedling, Nottinghamshire, England
1891 Census

Arnold Carrington Houses

HARVEY George Head S M 24 Butcher & Farmer(Em'er) Nottinghamshire - Calverton

HARVEY Sarah Mother W F 49 Housekeeper(Em'ee) Nottinghamshire - Flintham

HARVEY Harry Brothr S M 19 Butchers Assistant(Em'ee) Nottinghamshire - Gedling

HARVEY John Granpa W M 85 Living On His Own Means Nottinghamshire - Oxton

CULLEN Richard Servnt S M 18 Farm Servant(Em'ee) Nottinghamshire - Upton

COOPER Sarah Servnt S F 17 General Servant (Domestic) Nottinghamshire - Calverton

• Upvote 1

Thanks. had a quick look at all this. Flintham isn't a very big place so I guess there must be connections somewhere. I have a George Harvey b. 1867 at Kneeton and his sister Sarah J Harvey b. 1868 at Kneeton They are offsprings of Edward Harvey b. 1838 Flintham and his wife Ann b. 1835 at Kneeton. Maiden name not known.

The only connection I know of with Coopers is that my Grandfather Edward Harvey b. 1894 21 Queens Grove Nottm (but at time of marriage lived at 9 Blackstone Street) married Florence Rose Prince (nee Cooper) in 1919. It was her second marriage. There is a slight coincidence here that there was a family named Prince lived at 23 Queens Grove on the 1901 census. There has been quite a lot swept under the carpet that I don't know about.

It is complicated . Thats two lots of Cooper / Harvey marriages now, as well as the Harvey /Harvey marriage .

The Pianoman, # 1 ......... My grandparents lived at 15 Queens Grove from about 1919 until the 60's. my Mum was born there in 1924. Of no help to you in your search though unfortunately.

The Pianoman, # 1 ......... My grandparents lived at 15 Queens Grove from about 1919 until the 60's. my Mum was born there in 1924. Of no help to you in your search though unfortunately.

Well there you go! My grandfather was born next door but two at number 21 in 1894. You don't happen to remember the neighbours do you?

No I don't but I have one aunt left from that side of the family, who was born there in 1929, I'll ask her, she's got a terrific memory. One thing's for certain, your ancestors and mine would all have used the same row of toilets up the yard!!!!!

By 1911 census Mary Harvey had moved to Blackstone Street, Meadows, so she probably won't remember, unless a reputation lived on :-) The 1891 census tells me that there was another Mary Harvey 10 years older lived at number 6 Queens Grove, which I guess would be across the road. It may be the same Mary Harvey if lies have been told. Both Mary Harvey's had an eldest son named Ernest, but Mary Harvey at No. 6 claims to have been married which mine wasn't.

A little bit of Queens Grove still exists. It leads down to the brewery.

You mention a John Harvey of Screveton who was Mary's brother. Was he the man who died in 1904 - "John Harvey, of Red Lodge Screveton, farmer and innkeeper" according to the National Probate Index. If so, he was too old to be Mary's brother - born around 1836, which is around the same time that Mary's parents were born.

You mention a John Harvey of Screveton who was Mary's brother. Was he the man who died in 1904 - "John Harvey, of Red Lodge Screveton, farmer and innkeeper" according to the National Probate Index. If so, he was too old to be Mary's brother - born around 1836, which is around the same time that Mary's parents were born.

I have him as being born 1840. It looks like he was Mary's uncle John. It seems that the whole Harvey family in the 1800's were involved with farming in some shape or form.