I joined this site around two weeks ago, and I'm still trying to find my way around it. It's a great site and clearly everyone works very hard maintaining it. But I just wondered as I seem to be told i'm doing things wrong like starting threads that have already been posted in the past,, or putting them in the wrong cats. if it would be much simpler in some way, at the moment I seem to be walking on egg shells, worried about posting again. I don't want to leave the site as there are so many nice people and so much to learn here it's invaluable to me. But I can't take the hassle.

Doe's it really matter if a thread has already been done? why should it matter?.

Why isn't there a delete button for members to remove their own threads, if we are told a post has already been covered, or we make a mistake. I find this a bit odd?.

Has anyone got a problem with me?.

Thank you for listening. best wishes to everyone. De Da. Pete.

On the Nottstalgia Forum Index page, scroll down and see FAQ Thread and others. Before starting a thread use the search facility at the top of the page, using the main word of your topic, the chances are you will be able to establish if your topic has been covered elsewhere and can contribute to that particular thread.

• Upvote 2

De Da

Use of the search facility before posting may give you an old topic to add your reply to.

This has the benefit of bringing previous threads/posts back into recent topics.

ie Do not start a topic on 'Trolley bus', when you can find similar topics already discussed.

Otherwise moderators will move posts or merge topics where appropriate.

Re the delete button, we did have problems with an idiot member who erased many of his own posts disrupting threads, therefore he was remove and the time limit for editing was put in place.

As previous advice please edit posts with PLEASE DELETE, or add a post with that message if your edit time has expired.

Thank you Mick. I know now and will try my best. sorry to hear about that member. there's always someone trying to spoil things. You have a great site here with a lot of good intelligent people. I have to deal with small minded people every day. Sorry about all This. keep up all the good hard work. De Da. Best site on the net, apart from mine i maybe bias. ha ha.

Darkazana. No reply box under your post, but thank you for that. Much appreciated. take care. De Da.

The 'reply box' is there , it's just called 'quote' not 'reply'

Although please try not to quote the previous (Or so) post !

• 3 years later...

Well I'm absolutely speechless. I know the Search Facility has been nigh on useless I assume from day one, but my experience this afternoon takes the biscuit.

I was looking for 'How's your day', and typed in 'How's your day' expecting an immediate response. No way ! The system couldn't find it. I then typed in 'hows your day ' again, nothing except that I was told to wait three seconds before re attempting.

I then managed to scroll down Activity, and found it , so I compared the spelling. It actually is 'hows you day?'.

Unbelievable..... Talk about Key Words..... Just how near do you have to be to get a positive reply. 

No, I'm not complaining, but just what more does one need to do. Maddening ! 

• Upvote 1

Like I said, how key do the key words need to be? 

• 1 month later...
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, FLY2 said:

Well I'm absolutely speechless. I know the Search Facility has been nigh on useless I assume from day one, but my experience this afternoon takes the biscuit.

I was looking for 'How's your day', and typed in 'How's your day' expecting an immediate response. No way ! The system couldn't find it. I then typed in 'hows your day ' again, nothing except that I was told to wait three seconds before re attempting.

I then managed to scroll down Activity, and found it , so I compared the spelling. It actually is 'hows you day?'.

Unbelievable..... Talk about Key Words..... Just how near do you have to be to get a positive reply. 

No, I'm not complaining, but just what more does one need to do. Maddening ! 

Well.I never feel like coming on here anymore as it is all too confusing and it has lost that friendliness.......why can't we go back to the way it was before ?.....

Progress they say Blondie, sorry !

As has been explained in other threads, the change happened because the old format was coming to the end of its natural life. The developers who create it were no longer doing anything to keep it working, so that eventually it would have become obsolete and unusable. If the update hadn't taken place there would be nothing at all.  It's like saying "why can't we still have Windows 3.1".

Whether it's good or not is open to debate, but it's better than nothing. 

• Upvote 4

We could go back to the Workhouse.

Slavery.

Horse & Cart.

No NHS.

No Welfare State.

Electricity.

Don't give up Blondie, stick with it gel, you'll soon get the hang of it. !

Well used to the new format now, please persevere Blondie..we need the old gang back!!

The only thing I try to avoid now is the ' New Activity' as this means i only read and comment on current stuff.

What i do is look on 'user Activity' ...sometimes Guests are viewing interesting posts from the past decades or subjects I have forgotten about..dig deep!!

I was wanting to post in 'Watching owt on the box lately ' topic, so I typed 'Owt on the box' in the Forum search. The system found nothing, so I added lately. Again nothing ! Key words ! How key do they need to be ? A very poor response I'm afraid. 

It's normally useful if one is in a rush, instead of ploughing through various groups.

The answer is that the system normally doesn't recognise words of 3 letters or less.   Unfortunately 'Owt on the box' is a comprehensive set of them. It needs to have at least one 4-letter word in the box.

Try this to prove the point:

1.  Enter several random words with 3 letters or less, and hit Search

2.  The result will be 0.

3.  Add another word with more than 3 letters,  in addition to the previous words.

4.  It will now come up with a pile of results - including all the 3 letter words which it wouldn't previously find.

Weird and stupid, but it actually works.

• Upvote 1

Spot on again Cliff , thanks.

NO, I tried it with lately and without lately. Nothing.